mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Question/Opinion - Wheelset

So I am getting ready to order a new 29 wheelset and I am between 2 options primarily.

1. Noble TR33 with Industry 9/DT Comp spokes

2. Stans Arch MK3 with Industry 9/DT superComp spokes - but I would also change Stam X1 carbon cranks to Race Face Next Sls.

My dilemma is that the pricing for both options is roughly the same with the overall net weight savings from my fattie wheels also bein equal. So my question is from a weight perspective is it better to have overall lighter wheels or Slightly heavier wheels (about 200grams) and lighter cranks (about 150 grams) with the same bike weight (+\- 25grs or so). looking to reduce weight on my Hightower in prep for some races this coming summer including BC Bike Race.

I hope that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Wheels, always wheels. I'd take the wider, lighter carbon rim any day. Given the forces involved in controlling your own legs, you probably won't even notice the difference in crank weight.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Wheel weight will make a much bigger difference than crank weight.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Go with the lighter wheels - you didn't mention which set is lighter, BTW.

Also, just to confirm, are the NOBL wheels effectively local to you (in BC)? Would you be ordering the Stan's from the US?
    Last edited by phlegm; 01-22-2017 at 07:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Sorry the Nobl set lighter. I estimate it to be about .20 lbs lighter including the rotors and cassette without tires than the alternative Stans build. I would be ordering either option through my LBS so all my costs are in Canadian dollars.

The total net weight would be about the same if I did the stans/crank option. My estimation puts that actually a bit lighter overall by a very small amount based on just how much heavier my OEM X1 carbon Eagle cranks are compared to the Race Face ones.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I should say I can change the Stans build to allow for lighter CX Ray spokes which will bring the weight difference between the sets to less than an estimated 40-50 grams difference. And still have money in my budget for the lighter cranks.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Just a thought - you can order from NOBL directly on their website, and it looks like they have some clearance stuff too. It might be worth eyeballing the prices to see how that jives with the LBS quote. That could change your decision:
    https://noblwheels.ca/