Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Proti FFR Titanium bolts - The best ever!

Have to share this: I was cruising online looking for some titanium bolts for my 2011 Scott Spark 10, I was getting pretty bored to see the same kind of bolts all over the place until I found these very interesting Proti FFR bolts. At first I thought, OK just one more bolt, but after looking at their website I was impressed by the quality and special process 'FFR' wish is Fully Forged Racing For Ti64. Look for yourself, there is a comprehensive explanation on the process and great pictures to show the benefit of forged Ti bolts over CNC (machined) cutting bolts;
    Fully Forged

Their market is mainly directed to motorcycles, but I already checked the website and they have a couple of bolts suitable for the cycling world and after shooting them an email, they replied saying that they have plans to offer more options for Cycling. For now they offer 3 color, Titanium, Gold and a pretty cool Transforming Blue.

What I think its nice...they show all the details about the bolt spec. For those uncertain on wish bolt to get, all the measurements are posted to compare with yours. Do your homework (wish is fun), with a caliper rule you can get all the specs of yours and find the correct one for you on these lists above.

M5: M5 Bolts
    M6: M6 bolts

Pretty cool stuff! Never seen anything like it.

Last edited by andrepsz; 12-22-2013 at 03:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Anodized Titanium is like awesome!!! I would have total confidence in those bolts...nice find!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ginsu2k View Post
    Anodized Titanium is like awesome!!! I would have total confidence in those bolts...nice find!
    Even cooler, the bolts I've found suitable for cycling are all Torx head, on M5 and M6 in multiple lenghts...pretty nice!

mtbr member
    Wow! Awesome find! although i dont think i can huck up 100 bucks for all the bolts to do the rotors but i think i can definitely can justify it for the stem, seat post clamp and possibly brakes! (even though that still about 12 bolts lol)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    With bolts like that you can easily go to 3 a piece for the brake rotors...I've done the calculations and as long as the bolts use some threadlocker there really is no reason to worry as 3 bolts is more than strong enough on a 160mm rotor in XC applications...in fact, Aluminum is strong enough...the best reason to do 6 bolts with Aluminum is the fatigue issue, but with Titanium you really don't have to worry about fatigue life because they have a theoretical infinite fatigue life like steel. If you've got the money those Ti bolts are definitely worth it. It'd be awesome to replace some shock mount bolts, some real weight savings there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I ordered two bolts for my lefty fork clamps....can't wait!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Proti FFR Titanium bolts - The best ever!

Quote Originally Posted by ginsu2k View Post
    With bolts like that you can easily go to 3 a piece for the brake rotors...I've done the calculations and as long as the bolts use some threadlocker there really is no reason to worry as 3 bolts is more than strong enough on a 160mm rotor in XC applications...in fact, Aluminum is strong enough...the best reason to do 6 bolts with Aluminum is the fatigue issue, but with Titanium you really don't have to worry about fatigue life because they have a theoretical infinite fatigue life like steel. If you've got the money those Ti bolts are definitely worth it. It'd be awesome to replace some shock mount bolts, some real weight savings there.
    Great comment, but would be concern about the strength of the rotor itself. I have those Ashima World's lightest rotors...very minimum material, I'd be afraid to add twice the stress on 3 wholes only... Valid thinking? Perhaps on a beefier rotor this would not be an issue.

mtbr member
    Post pics when they come! What color did you get? I'm thinking about getting the blue ones for the stem seat post clamp and caliper bolts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryandurep View Post
    Post pics when they come! What color did you get? I'm thinking about getting the blue ones for the stem seat post clamp and caliper bolts.
    Got Gold, I already have some gold on my bike... chain and Xpedo pedals. I'll post pics for sure!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by andrepsz View Post
    Great comment, but would be concern about the strength of the rotor itself. I have those Ashima World's lightest rotors...very minimum material, I'd be afraid to add twice the stress on 3 wholes only... Valid thinking? Perhaps on a beefier rotor this would not be an issue.
    That's a very good point. If you're looking at a lightweight rotor with material removed from the mounting points then you should probably think twice about the 3 bolt setup....I was originally thinking more along the line of a typical Avid rotor that has a lot of material on the mounts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    yeah, if the rotor manufacturer designs around 6 bolts, run 6 bolts.

SWEEET find, btw.

mtbr member
    need to get some of these lol

mtbr member
    I had a hard time finding the right ones on their site for the rotors, IS, CPS, stem, and post bolts. Can someone who has already ordered point me to the right ones?

mtbr member
    go to universal and select either m5 or m6 bolts (depending on where its going) and go from there, they have them all sorted by lengths. for your stem your gonna want m5 x 18mm taper. for rotors you will want m5 x 10mm. for cps mount youll want m6x30mm and for is youll want m6 x 25mm. seat post bolt is also m5x18mm just like stem bolt. (at least on mine)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    M5-http://www.protiglobal.com/good.php?fid=1408&column=M5+Bolt&column1=BOLT
    M6-http://www.protiglobal.com/good.php?fid=1408&column=M6+Bolt&column1=BOLT

What I think its nice...they show all the details about the bolt spec. For those uncertain on wish bolt to get all the measurements are posted to compare with yours. Do your homework (wish is fun), with a caliper rule you can get all the specs of yours and find the correct you on these lists above.

mtbr member
    Thanks @Ryandurep. That helped. I will also measure my existing bolts as suggested by the next poster. Wouldn't it be cool if they came in prepackaged kits (at least for the generic locations), and then brand specific kits for suspension bolts and what not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorin_2 View Post
    Thanks @Ryandurep. That helped. I will also measure my existing bolts as suggested by the next poster. Wouldn't it be cool if they came in prepackaged kits (at least for the generic locations), and then brand specific kits for suspension bolts and what not.
    For motorcycles I see the prepackage working because the brands and models are well determined, but for bicycles, there are thousands of bikes/models out there, nearly impossible to know wish bolt goes on each one...How do you see the pre-package kits working for bikes?

mtbr member
    @andrepsz, without divulging too much (as I'm seriously considering this idea), the key is to know your target buyer, and consequently, the brands and models you need to package for.

ups and downs
    Specialty Racing Products used to prepackage Ti bolt kits for V-brakes, disc brakes, shifter/brake levers etc. Of course they're out of business now. Not that there is necessarily any relationship between those two facts.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    But there very well could be, and I will take that under advisement. I would need to carefully think through the business case and follow my head/logic vs. my heart/passion. I'm just tired of sitting behind a desk all day, lucky to ride once or twice a week for several hours, and am trying to think of a business idea related to my passion/hobby that would (if successful) allow for much more riding time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    instead of a kit for a complete bike, do kits for each component set, or group maybe?

full XTR group - $200
    XT - 190
    XT brakes (calipers, clamps, rotor bolts) $50
    XT crank bolt $20, etc etc.

Don't put the kits together till the customer orders, to minimize stock levels, I expect most items would be compatible with several bikes/components.

A simple to navigate site is key, let the shopper select by bike, component, group etc to drill down and find the bolts they're looking for without having to measure their own. Building the database of bolt sizes/compatibility would be the time-consuming part. Stock levels and efficiency in kitting would be key. You got my brain rolling (if you couldn't tell...) I'm not interested in doing this myself, but I have several ideas. PM me if interested, Thorin. (I've run several non-bike related web-stores.)

mtbr member
    Agreed on all levels. I also thought about Just In Time (JIT) fulfillment following the lean philosophy, kitting out by brakes, drivetrain, components, and finally (maybe down the rode) frame kits for replacing stock bolts across the entire frame. Of course you would focus on the higher end brands and/or models only, as nobody will invest big $$ on swapping out bolts on an SLX drivetrain or a Diamondcrap frame (spare the flames please). And of course the e-commerce part is key - thankfully I'm a geek. Check at Mozu by Volusion for a EaaS. I will PM you if I ever get the ball rolling on this one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I used to use Volusion, switched to Ultracart about 4 years ago, there's a few things I miss about V, but happy with the switch. I'll have to read more about Mozu, looks like they're going after infusionsoft.

I saw a diamondback frame snap in 1/2 right in front of me on a mild downhill, guy hit a water bar and PING! he was tumbling... brand new bike.

juuuust a bit off topic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just letting everyone know, the new website Proti-bicycles is now ready for purchases: Proti bicycles.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by andrepsz View Post
    Just letting everyone know, the new website Proti-bicycles is now ready for purchases: Proti bicycles.
    You need to update the About Us page. Also, clicking the Contact Us "tab" takes you to a submission form, but clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page just spawns an email message.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast