mtbr member
    Nov 2005

pros & cons orbea OIZ carbon

which are the advantages of the oiz carbon with an ALMA por XC racing??

and dissadvantages... too...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

It is so sexy

Well the pros are
    -super light for a "full suspension"
    -good rear suspension for Xc racing
    -super sexy
    -great workmanship
    -will take the edge off alot of the bumps
    -life time warranty

Cons are
    - little heavier then a hardtail
    - the rear end not as stiff as a hardtail. (depending on your weight.

I was looking at getting one but was a little hesitatant being 195 ish pounds with gear on. I do more all mountain rideing then xc race so I opted for the Occam Carbon and could not be happier. I have to say the workmanship on the Orbea's is top quality and the bikes look amazing. If I weighed around the 180 with gear mark or less I would get one in a second. I am not even sure that being my weight would be bad on it or not.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've raced both. Both are great bikes. Do you want a full suspension or a hardtail? The positives and negatives of the Oiz and Alma are the same as any other FS vs. HT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'd get the OIZ, even for a race bike. I had an Alma this past season and loved it.... light and super stuff. But I'm now on a Yeti ASR... the hard tail just beat me up too much and punished me severely when I made a mistake on the trail. My Yeti is nearly as light and I'm much faster on it.

One of the top riders in our area is on a carbon Oiz this year and was on the aluminum version last season. He can't say enough good things about it.... and it look shot as hell. (always a plus)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i would lie to know what are the differencies in geometry for racing XC is there any advantage of the alma ??

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Alma is lighter and stiffer in the rear end. It also has a steeper head tube angle, meaning it will handle quicker. Check out the geometry on Orbea's site.

red-headed maniac
    Dec 2006
    switched to the carbon OIZ from a top fuel. not only is the 1lb-difference amazing, the suspension tracks better and the frame is stiff enough for me. the rp23 shock's propedal is an amazing feature, just get good at switching it to "open" for decents.

that said, the alma is an awesome machine. I spent an entire 24-hour race lap chatting with another guy on an alma and he said it was the most comfortable hardtail he'd ever ridden. light and responsive, and gorgeous. and comon, if it's good enough for Absalon....

that said, i love my OIZ, and would *definitely* recommend it.

WOO BIKES!!

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004

Actually...

I disagree about the Alma being comfortable. While it is very lovely, fabulously light and very stiff, I think there have been sacrifices in comfort. After riding a dozen or so carbon hardtails back to back, I think the Alma was actually one of the harsher riding bikes of the bunch. It would be fine for STXC, but there are better carbon hardtails out there.

Haven't ridden the Oiz carbon, but the aluminum version rides pretty ok for a duallie. I'm assuming the carbon has better front-end stiffness and therefore handles even better.
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member
    Nice to see good comments on the Alma. I'll be racing one next season (currently on order).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Alma (29er though), awesome ride ! Moved from topfuel (FS) to this and have yet to ride a FS since :-) Hence, selling mine to make way for something else....hmmmm