Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bike rider

Promising Carbon Brake Rotors

These guys claim they can do it better than anyone before. Even better the weight is good and the price only double what an R1 rotor costs. Looking forward to hearing more.

Can Carbon Rotors Provide Better Braking? - BikeRadar
    Keep the Country country.

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    These guys claim they can do it better than anyone before. Even better the weight is good and the price only double what an R1 rotor costs. Looking forward to hearing more.

Can Carbon Rotors Provide Better Braking? - BikeRadar
    There are a couple of threads about them, one (4 pages) on the brake forum and even one here, they seem promising as you say, I'm in backing them for a pair of SFL 160 mm, second batch. We'll see if they are for real.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    Hmm looks pretty interesting. Seems like a cool idea. Any real world use yet?
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    Hmm looks pretty interesting. Seems like a cool idea. Any real world use yet?
    I searched out the other threads and there's no real info. Just speculation and talk about the kickstarter thing. I can wait til spring but these'll compliment my V10 carbon nicely. 32lb burly DH bike!

mtbr member
    Also... carbon rotors.
    Designed for a better ride. -
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    sorry wrong thread

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Fairwheel used carbon rotors made by Fybre Lite on their first 29er di2 and I read it wasn't really worth it.

bike rider
    Different material used by a different company.

IllumaDucati
    Articles that begin with "Can this work?" and end with "What do you think?" often tend to be puff pieces, as is also the case with anything that was ever written by anyone named Josh.

It seems like the people that are designing and building those rotors started by going for minimal weight and then trying to get good performance, rather than first going for a significant improvement in braking power and longevity and then getting the weight down.

The article neglected to point out that for years, carbon rotors have been the standard in all Formula 1 cars and all Top Fuel dragsters. Here's an article about carbon brakes in Formula 1 cars, and here's another search, for the phrase "carbon rotors".

IllumaDucati
    Here's the company that pioneered carbon rotors in drag racing, and builds the brakes for virtually every Top Fuel car: Lamb Components

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    there is a guy on here who has been testing them. Magura is his screen name I think. If they are done right, they should outperform and outlast any steel rotor, and the price seems very reasonable at under $100. Do you know what carbon ceramic rotors cost for a sports car that came with them?
    Last I checked it was around $2K each

Maromero
    Please take some time to read this thread (it's a loooong one) it will help you understand better about the "carbon rotors"
    Carbon Brake rotors

mtbr member
    F1 cars have been using carbon rotors for years, but they are so thick and laminated so many times it take months to make a set and they likely cost more than your house lol
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    there is a guy on here who has been testing them. Magura is his screen name I think. If they are done right, they should outperform and outlast any steel rotor, and the price seems very reasonable at under $100. Do you know what carbon ceramic rotors cost for a sports car that came with them?
    Last I checked it was around $2K each
    Yeah, that would be him, though he didn't test those posted by the OP, but rather made some himself, based on a similar principle and material.

Magura

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Are carbon rotors still on the drawing boards or have they started shipping?

ups and downs
    Apparently Kettle Cycles has begun shipping the rotors so for anyone that was part of their initial investment, when you get 'em start posting some reviews.

Kettle Cycles’ SiCCC SFL Carbon Fiber Brake Rotors Now Shipping - Bike Rumor
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When I get mine (and have some use on them), I'll be sure to pass on my observations.
    that rug really tied the room together.

bike rider
    I just ordered a 203 & 180 for my enduro bike. It says 5 weeks for delivery

I emailed them a couple questions about brake pads, rotor trueness, and resistance to bending. The guys at the shop and I are most excited about these because they theoritically should stay perfectly straight unless hit so hard that they crack. No more straightening rotors that have been bumped or mysteriouly got a wobble will be awesome.
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 02-18-2013 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    I think they may have had a larger response then the originally thought. I definitely can't wait to see how these turn out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Suscribed!.. I am in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Subscribed

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I pulled the trigger and ordered a set 160mm. I will use with my Formulas R1.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgalore View Post
    I pulled the trigger and ordered a set 160mm. I will use with my Formulas R1.
    While I wait for the rotors I'm sending my Formulas back to be upgraded with the 2013 pistons and seals. The pads will now pull back almost twice as far as they used to. I've always loved the feel of these brakes but have spent a lot of time straightening rotors and alligning calipers to get them drag-free. Hopefully those days are over.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I am anxiously waiting for a review on these. Extreemly lightweight rotors that are reasonable in cost and can take high heat without going out of true.

Let's hear from owners.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So did anyone here put some miles on these rotors yet? I would like to hear some user reviews too.

Chris.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast