try driving your car less

profile design carbon cranks?

I am awaiting a new/used bike purchase which includes some brand new profile design carbon cranks. The ones with the octalink/old m952 XTR style spider. This bike will not be lightweight (surly), and I dont care. I am more interested in the durability of these cranks. I do hit my cranks arms on rocks, but have been using older race facer turbines (all metal) without problems. Am I asking for trouble with carbon cranks?
    Are they worth any real money "on the street"? They don't come up on ebay too often, so I cannot tell. If so, I would swap them out for some old race face cranks I have, but then I have to get new chainrings, because the bolt pattern is different, so it's not some huge money saver, and I have to go through the hassle of installing a square taper BB, which I have, but the spindle length might not be correct etc etc etc...
    I would like to just ride it, but don't want to have to throw them in the trash in just a few short weeks, and then mount the race face cranks.
    This bike will be a commuter/occasional offroader anyway.
    Thanks in advance for any tips.
    This is what the cranks look like:
    Only boring people get bored.

Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    I am awaiting a new/used bike purchase which includes some brand new profile design carbon cranks. The ones with the octalink/old m952 XTR style spider. This bike will not be lightweight (surly), and I dont care. I am more interested in the durability of these cranks. I do hit my cranks arms on rocks, but have been using older race facer turbines (all metal) without problems. Am I asking for trouble with carbon cranks?
    Are they worth any real money "on the street"? They don't come up on ebay too often, so I cannot tell. If so, I would swap them out for some old race face cranks I have, but then I have to get new chainrings, because the bolt pattern is different, so it's not some huge money saver, and I have to go through the hassle of installing a square taper BB, which I have, but the spindle length might not be correct etc etc etc...
    I would like to just ride it, but don't want to have to throw them in the trash in just a few short weeks, and then mount the race face cranks.
    This bike will be a commuter/occasional offroader anyway.
    Thanks in advance for any tips.
    This is what the cranks look like:
    what if i drill them out and only use two chainring bolts? that would save me some serious grams!

freak of nature

durable enough i think...

These cranks have an aluminum skeleton inside so I don't think they would break even if you smack them on rocks. Maybe if you smack them on every stroke , probably but, not in real life, especially if you almost only commute with them. I don't have experience with these, but Profile makes some nice durable parts backed up with a good warranty. But why are you switching from Race F'ace ? The Profile cranks are not this light...

Anyway, hope this helps,
    Jean-Sébastien
    2004 Giant XTC Custom
    2001 Giant Boulder HD
    2000 Devinci Chili Pepper (frame only)
    1993 Proflex 853 (frame only)
    1988 Kuwahara ProStar
    1982 Peugeot Record Du Monde (fixed gear)
    1980 Raleigh Sprite (restoration)

Quote Originally Posted by jean-seb
    These cranks have an aluminum skeleton inside so I don't think they would break even if you smack them on rocks. Maybe if you smack them on every stroke , probably but, not in real life, especially if you almost only commute with them. I don't have experience with these, but Profile makes some nice durable parts backed up with a good warranty. But why are you switching from Race F'ace ? The Profile cranks are not this light...

Anyway, hope this helps,
    Jean-Sébastien
    thanks. i am not really switching from raec faec, it's that these cranks are coming on a bike, and i was considering switching them out in order to save some cash. but i will just keep them on there.