weight weenie
    May 2009

Problem with Sidi Dragon 2 Carbon SRS & Eggbeaters

Bought a new pair of Sidi Dragon 2 Carbon SRS shoes and they seem to have some kind of problem with the interface of my eggbeaters. Previously I had Sidi Dominator 5 shoes. I didn't use any shims under the cleats and they worked flawless with the eggbeaters. With the new shoes I put the metal shims under the cleats which came with my 4ti's. Now when I pedal I feel some weird play in the interface when pushing the pedal. Clipping in and out is allmost as easy but I think the minor difference is because I put brand new cleats on the new shoes and maybe I keep hitting the edge of the metal shim when clipping in. Anybody know what could cause this problem? Could it be that the pattern of the sole is higher in this model and I don't have enough clearance? Anybody else use this combo?
    No Saint MaxAri R Carbon 7940g

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Is it a floating sense? Because the metal shims takes a couple of rides to break in. After this, the floating sense disappears.

mtbr member
    What model of cleats are you using: Premium or Race?

The combo Sidi Dragon 2 shoes with Shoe Shields under Race cleats + Eggbeater 11 pedals works fine for me.

The Race cleats don't last long though. So I tried replacing them with Premium cleats, but I had to go back to the Race ones, because I experienced the same problem you're describing.

In conclusion, if you're using Premium cleats, replace them with Race cleats and your problem should be solved.

The Missing
    May 2007
    I ran the dragon 2 with race cleats and had zero issues as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I had to cut a bit of the tread down on my Dragon 2's to get it to clip in correctly on my 4Ti. My new 11Ti don't seem to have the issue. I also have to run the premium cleats as I need the adjustments.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It is important to understand that the wings are not a part of the pedal for the shoe to push on.
    So, if the metal sheet under the cleet is rubbing the wings, it is not good. In that case, everytime you push on the pedal, the spring is playing and it is going to get loose very quickly because it is meant to play only when you clip or unclip.

The pushing surface is on the body of the pedal, aside of the wings. The threads of the shoe must push on it. Sadly, a lot of shoes don't have threads high enough to push on the body of the pedal without having the sole under the cleets rubbing the wings.

Hence the "weird play" described by Elasto.

Plays with tools
    switch to any other pedal, problem solved

weight weenie
    May 2009
    How do I know if I have premium or race cleats? Is there some visual difference between them? Anyway the new cleats Im using now are the ones that came with my 4ti pedals. My old pedals are the Ti model and before these I used the cleats that came with them. Im now using the new cleats with the metal shims both with the 4ti's on my MTB and the Ti's on my commuter. Today I tested the new shoes for the first time with my MTB and didn't have allmost any play with my 4ti pedals. The problems were with the Ti model on my commuter but after riding this week to work every day the problem has decreased the more I have ridden. Maybe they will dissapear completely in time.

mtbr member
    Premium cleats

Race cleats

weight weenie
    May 2009
    Thanks sfer1. I have race cleats on my old Dominator 5 shoes which came with my Ti eggbeaters and also on my new Dragon 2 shoes which came with my 4Ti eggbeaters. Only difference is the shim on the Dragons. Maybe it could be like rondelalune just mentioned that the shim lifts the cleat just enough that the sole doesn't lay completely on the pedals body and leans to the wings which causes the play. Never had any problems with the Dominator 5 shoes and Eggbeaters without the shims so maybe I will remove them if the play doesn't go away. Or is the carbon sole more vulnerable?