A little of everything

Problem fitting cassette to Chris King hub

Just got a new Chris King ISO rear hub. I use a XT cassette with a XTR lockring. The problem is, that the lock ring doesn't seem to engage enough thread in the hub shell, so I'm worried about stripping the threads in the hub. Anyone else had this problem?

The solution would be a lock ring with some more threads than a standard Shimano lock ring. Anyone know where to get one?
    By the way, what is the story behind the Chris King Ti lock ring. I have seen a couple of pictures of it, but are they available? In my manual for the hub, it says on page one, that you can get either a aluminium or Ti lock ring from them and that they recommend using them with their hubs. Maby these have som more thread.
    I have send them an email to hear whats up.

Tried to post it in the wheels and tires forum, but there wasn't any help, so I'll try here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Chris King lock ring

I had the same problem. The Dura Ace lockring that I had was only engaging with half a thread. The Chris King lockring solves this problem by having more threads. The Ti lockrings are hard to get hold of at the moment - they seem to be on back order every where. The aluminium lockrings are available - I bought one from Bromley Bike in the UK a couple of months ago. See the link below.

http://www.bromleybike.co.uk/ishop/399/shopscr1639.html

A little of everything
    They are pricey. Isn't it possible to get it directly from CK for a lover price. Seems as if they are trying to earn to much on those at the UK dealer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Chris King deal direct

Chris King will deal direct on items like the lockring. However, I have had a backorder on titanium lockrings for over six months. The UK dealer price is over the odds but they did have them in stock when I last bought from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    They are pricey. Isn't it possible to get it directly from CK for a lover price. Seems as if they are trying to earn to much on those at the UK dealer.

A little of everything
    Do you know the price from CK. I'm just going for a aluminium lock ring. But 22£ for the lockring and they charge 12£ for shipping, that's 34£ total. That's too much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I think it was $25

I think it was $25 for the lock ring. If my memory serves me right, I think Tune made lockrings with extra threads - I don't know if they are still available. I used a Chris King lockring on a Tune hub because there was not much thread engaging with a standard lockring.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    Do you know the price from CK. I'm just going for a aluminium lock ring. But 22£ for the lockring and they charge 12£ for shipping, that's 34£ total. That's too much.

nightriding is fun !
    Quote Originally Posted by extralite
    Chris King will deal direct on items like the lockring. However, I have had a backorder on titanium lockrings for over six months. The UK dealer price is over the odds but they did have them in stock when I last bought from them.
    Welcome to the club, I have a backorder on a Ti headset for about 14 months now. I have a weird suspicion they ship to US clients first and all others get the left-overs

Back Ot:
    Anders, I have no troubles fitting an XTR 12-34 cassette with an XTR lockring on my ISO hubs.. !?

Is yours an alu (on special demand only) or steel (default) CK cassette body ?
    Titanium or Bust !

YourCK hubs come with the steel freehub bodies?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wolf
    Welcome to the club, I have a backorder on a Ti headset for about 14 months now. I have a weird suspicion they ship to US clients first and all others get the left-overs

Back Ot:
    Anders, I have no troubles fitting an XTR 12-34 cassette with an XTR lockring on my ISO hubs.. !?

Is yours an alu (on special demand only) or steel (default) CK cassette body ?
    Each of mine came with aluminum...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

A little of everything
    It's the aluminium hub body, which is the default one. You pay extra for a steel body.

nightriding is fun !
    Sorry guys, I looked it up and (of course ) you are right..
    from the CK website : all rear disc hubs come standard with an aluminum drive shell. For stainless steel drive shells, add 48g.
    Well, then I also have an Alu body and the XTR lockring fits without any problem
    Titanium or Bust !

dutchie
    Jan 2004
    Had the same problem with a XT cassette and a tune hub. I couldn't get the lockring threaded on. What I did was remove the plastic spacer on the spoke side of the cassette. I think its there to space it out properly on shimano hubs, as on those it doesn't seem to be interfering with the width of the freehub.
    After that it almost fitted properly. In the end I had to use on of those 7sp 2/3 mm spacers to get rid of some play that developed after remove the plastic spacer. I was using a 8 speed Xt cassette and lockring.

Hope this helps you, cheers.

R.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Is King not using the same tolerances as the rest of the industry? I had the same problem with my cassette, like the freehub body wasn't made long enough(weight) for the industy standard cassette. Then on top of that after mounting the disk I had to use longer bolts and about 5/8 of an inch worth of spacers to get my caliper to center over the disk. Its like the hub shell was made very narrow(weight again?) The only reason it seems strange is that Crossmax SL and XTR hubs had identical caliper spacing. Meaning I could pull one wheel and drop the other right in.
    Do you think these are inconsistancies or are they intentional to make their product appear lighter? Which isn't the case since we're adding longer lock rings or bolts and spacers in my case.
    I'm not dissing King just seems strange that their stuff isn't bolting right on.

Driven by watts inside
    I've been using an XTR cassette + XTR lockring on a Chris King hub for a couple of years without any problems. However, I have noticed that sometimes the cassette will not fully seat onto the carrier unless you kind of wiggle and twist the cassette and push it against the hub body. This could mean that your lockring won't fully engage. Maybe that's your problem? Or maybe there really is a tolerance issue that I've never heard of before...

- Jeremy -

nightriding is fun !
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtc
    Is King not using the same tolerances as the rest of the industry? I had the same problem with my cassette, like the freehub body wasn't made long enough(weight) for the industy standard cassette. Then on top of that after mounting the disk I had to use longer bolts and about 5/8 of an inch worth of spacers to get my caliper to center over the disk. Its like the hub shell was made very narrow(weight again?) The only reason it seems strange is that Crossmax SL and XTR hubs had identical caliper spacing. Meaning I could pull one wheel and drop the other right in.
    Do you think these are inconsistancies or are they intentional to make their product appear lighter? Which isn't the case since we're adding longer lock rings or bolts and spacers in my case.
    I'm not dissing King just seems strange that their stuff isn't bolting right on.
    If you see how meticulous CK works on their product, it would surprise me that the fault lies with their tolerances. Furthermore is there something as an industry standard for cassettes?
    . My CK wheel always stays on the same bike so I cannot comment about ease of interchangeability there.
    Titanium or Bust !

nightriding is fun !
    Quote Originally Posted by - Jeremy -
    I've been using an XTR cassette + XTR lockring on a Chris King hub for a couple of years without any problems. However, I have noticed that sometimes the cassette will not fully seat onto the carrier unless you kind of wiggle and twist the cassette and push it against the hub body. This could mean that your lockring won't fully engage. Maybe that's your problem? Or maybe there really is a tolerance issue that I've never heard of before...

- Jeremy -
    Check for burrs on the freewheel, it happens on alu freewheel bodies that the cassette cuts into the soft alu.
    This happens more quickly when you use non-spidered cassettes (with individual cogs)
    With Shimano, where there are several clusters of 2-4 cogs bolted together , the pressure these individual cogs exert on the freewheel is more spread..
    Titanium or Bust !

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Big Bad Wolf][FONT=Lucida Console]Welcome to the club, I have a backorder on a Ti headset for about 14 months now. I have a weird suspicion they ship to US clients first and all others get the left-overs

BBW .... I just happen to have an extra in stock. Do you still need one ?

later, Chad
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://redbarnbicycles.com/

nightriding is fun !
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb
    BBW .... I just happen to have an extra in stock. Do you still need one ?

later, Chad
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    yes, but mine is already paid for (ouch !) so I'm stuck

You could send it to Rabbit Cycles in Germany, they have my money for it
    Titanium or Bust !

mtbr member
    we could make that happen !!

later, Chad
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3cb
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

how about using an action-tec threaded ti cog?

I gotta admit it's been a while since I worked on my cassette. I cannot remember how the shimano cassettes are set up, but I once removed mine to replace it with an action-tec ti cassette. The smallest cog on the action-tec is self-threading and does not need a lock-ring.

A little of everything
    Just ordered a 11T Chris King lock ring in aluminium from Bromley Bikes. They made me a good offer. I'll post a picture when I get it.
    Here's a picture from their site.

A little of everything
    So, I just got my new lock ring. They didn't have the aluminium version in stock, so I got one in titanium instead. Expensive but undestructable. Sorry I don't have a camera at the moment.
    The weight is 7g and it has 5mm thread, compared to 3.5mm on a Shimnano lock ring.