mtbr member
    May 2004

Price of Ti and Al at Redmist and SRP and bolts heads?

Hello again,

Is there a problem with switching the socket head cap screws on my bike with tappered socket head screws? Many of the Ti bolts I need for my bars, stem, and fork etc. only come in the tappered version (it is a bit lighter but, correct?). SRP has the normal socket head screws in all my sizes, but their bolts are almost twice as expensive as Redmist etc. SRP says it is becuase the "roll" their threads as opposed to cutting them, and they are much stronger than other Ti threads that are cut instead of rolled. Redmist, for example, has a Ti M8X20mm that I need for $3.89 - at SRP it was 10.50. All the other Ti bolts were the same way - is it worth the extra cost? With SRP, I would get the original bolt head shape as opposed to the tappered head offered at Redmist, but I would pay greatly for it!

Thanks again,

Stephen Walters

mtbr member

Tapered head, not a problem...

No, it's not worth the extra cost to go with the SRP version. I replaced my stem, seatpost and, seatpost clamp with the tapered-head ti from Redmist. As long as the head is the same diameter (and it is) there isn't a problem. Also be aware that SRP has a $25 minimum order.

Members who have read this thread: 0