• 06-01-2016
    chomxxo
    1 Attachment(s)
    Jet 9 RDO size XL w/Lefty
    Haven't seen a light FS 29er posted up in a while so here's mine, 21.40 pounds. Everything is fully race-tested. Awaiting shipment of a carbon steerer that should put me within striking distance of 20.9# :)

    Niner Jet 9 RDO frame size XL
    Cannondale Lefty MAX Carbon fork, converted to 120mm
    SRAM XX1 grip shift with 36t ring
    Notubes ZTR Valor wheelset, rear rebuilt with stiffer spokes
    Schwalbe Thunder Burt Snakeskin tires, 2.1"
    Formula R1 brakes
    Race Face Next bar 725mm
    KCNC stem with replaced bolts, 90mm
    Enve seatpost, 400mm
    Specialized S-works cranks, 180mm
    Time ATAC XS Titan Carbon pedals
    ESI Racers edge grips
    Selle Italia SLR XC saddle
    King Ti bottle cage
    Project 321 Lefty steerer

    Attachment 1073764
  • 06-03-2016
    JHouston
    Feeling a bit self conscious here lol


    Rebuilt my 2006 Haro n weighed it yesterday. Started at 33.5, n 1500 later it's 22.9. I thought I was doin good lol guess I need a better job? Hahaa
  • 06-03-2016
    Frank Fields
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JHouston View Post
    Feeling a bit self conscious here lol


    Rebuilt my 2006 Haro n weighed it yesterday. Started at 33.5, n 1500 later it's 22.9. I thought I was doin good lol guess I need a better job? Hahaa

    10 lbs for 1500usd does not sound bad. What were swapped parts?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • 06-03-2016
    JHouston
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Frank Fields View Post
    10 lbs for 1500usd does not sound bad. What were swapped parts?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

    Thx much! I guess i didnt think it was possible to get lower than 20 pounds and still be strong enough. Havent ridden in years, but everyday i learn ab something new or improved. Feel like i been away too long, must be getting old hahaa...

    So heres my build list... every part has been replaced and bought new, except my frame and seat post clamp.

    Frame 2006 Haro V-Series
    Fork Manitou R7
    Headset Cane Creek 40 Series EC-34

    Drivetrain
    Cranks XT M8000 165 mm / single 32T
    BB XT M800
    Chain XT M8000 HG-701
    Cassette XT M8000 11-40T 11 spd
    Derailleur XT M8000 med cage
    Shifter, cable XT M8000
    Pedals Wellgo C266

    Brake set
    Calipers XT M8000
    Levers XT M8000
    Rotors Ashima AiRotor 180mm / 160mm
    Rotor bolts Clarks red anodized

    Cockpit
    Handelbars Raceface Turbine riser
    Stem Raceface Turbine 70mm stem
    HS riser, cap Raceface
    Grips Raceface Half Nelson
    Seat Raceface Aeffect
    Seatpost Raceface Evolve
    Seatclamp *Oops moment. forgot ab it till assembly lol

    Wheel set
    Rims Stans ZTR Crest
    Hubs BWW Pure D400
    Spokes DT revolution
    QR Halo Porkies
    Tires Michelin Wild Rac'r Liteskin tubeless 26 x 2.25
  • 06-03-2016
    Frank Fields
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JHouston View Post
    Thx much! I guess i didnt think it was possible to get lower than 20 pounds and still be strong enough. Havent ridden in years, but everyday i learn ab something new or improved. Feel like i been away too long, must be getting old hahaa...

    So heres my build list... every part has been replaced and bought new, except my frame and seat post clamp.

    Frame 2006 Haro V-Series
    Fork Manitou R7
    Headset Cane Creek 40 Series EC-34

    Drivetrain
    Cranks XT M8000 165 mm / single 32T
    BB XT M800
    Chain XT M8000 HG-701
    Cassette XT M8000 11-40T 11 spd
    Derailleur XT M8000 med cage
    Shifter, cable XT M8000
    Pedals Wellgo C266

    Brake set
    Calipers XT M8000
    Levers XT M8000
    Rotors Ashima AiRotor 180mm / 160mm
    Rotor bolts Clarks red anodized

    Cockpit
    Handelbars Raceface Turbine riser
    Stem Raceface Turbine 70mm stem
    HS riser, cap Raceface
    Grips Raceface Half Nelson
    Seat Raceface Aeffect
    Seatpost Raceface Evolve
    Seatclamp *Oops moment. forgot ab it till assembly lol

    Wheel set
    Rims Stans ZTR Crest
    Hubs BWW Pure D400
    Spokes DT revolution
    QR Halo Porkies
    Tires Michelin Wild Rac'r Liteskin tubeless 26 x 2.25

    Wheelset price, weight, lead where to buy?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • 06-03-2016
    JHouston
    Stan's ZTR Crest 26 Custom Build

    My set weighs 1500 grams w the D400 conv hubs. Cost me $325 w tape n valve stem installed. Very smooth, fast wheels, but havent quite got my bike totally dialed in, so anxious to see how it is out in the dirt still
  • 06-07-2016
    karimian5
    1 Attachment(s)
    Carbon Rigid Singlespeed with 29er fork and disc brakes . Still more work to do - 11.1 lbs :) !!!
  • 06-11-2016
    andrepsz
    Post your light-weight bikes!
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by karimian5 View Post
    Carbon Rigid Singlespeed with 29er fork and disc brakes . Still more work to do - 11.1 lbs :) !!!

    Well one brake lever is quite irresponsible. Wishing you the best of luck on your rides! [emoji51]
  • 06-11-2016
    Crossmaxx
    And 14 spokes in the rear...
  • 06-11-2016
    karimian5
    Both brakes are modulated . Wheels are solid and spokes highly tensioned . This is a true WW bike btw .
  • 06-11-2016
    Joe Handlebar
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by karimian5 View Post
    Carbon Rigid Singlespeed with 29er fork and disc brakes . Still more work to do - 11.1 lbs :) !!!

    Seb, your insane! (And I mean that in the best way possible!) If you don't know this guy...he makes a lot of the stuff he uses. I've seen some really neat, and some crazy stuff come across his G+ page.
  • 06-11-2016
    calvin.loney3
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by karimian5 View Post
    Carbon Rigid Singlespeed with 29er fork and disc brakes . Still more work to do - 11.1 lbs :) !!!

    This is insane....

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  • 06-13-2016
    andrepsz
    Well...despite the arguable project, he made it to bikerumor! congrats.
    Readers' Rides: Seb K's heavily modified 11.1 lb / 5.08 kg mountain bike! - Bikerumor
  • 06-13-2016
    gks333
    I give the guy props for doing something "because it can be done". Great job. What distinguishes a MTB from a road or cyclocross bike though? I have seen numerous "rigid MTB's" with crazy low weight, so if I buy a road bike, place beefy tires on it and give it a flat bar handle bar is it a MTB? In the end, to each there own right? MTB is a very loosely used term these days.
  • 06-13-2016
    chomxxo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gks333 View Post
    I give the guy props for doing something "because it can be done". Great job. What distinguishes a MTB from a road or cyclocross bike though? I have seen numerous "rigid MTB's" with crazy low weight, so if I buy a road bike, place beefy tires on it and give it a flat bar handle bar is it a MTB? In the end, to each there own right? MTB is a very loosely used term these days.

    Exactly. This bike would not last ten minutes on a trail. Oh you used half the spoke count? What a great idea!

    Yet I post up a 21.4lb race-tested XL FS 29er and get zero comments, lame.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 06-13-2016
    andrepsz
    The true is that we are all whining because of the thread title.

    I bet you this rideable bike below is lighter than ALL the bikes on this thread...and is still meeting the requirements to appear on this neck of the woods.

    interestingly also has a saddle...

    So I decided to create the following:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenie...t-1014929.html
    http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenie...l#post12682633
    http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenie...l#post12682643
  • 06-15-2016
    RS VR6
    1 Attachment(s)
    Eh...what the heck. I'll post up.

    Weight is 20.5lbs ready to ride (including bottle cage and Garmin mount) Not really weight weenie since I don't think I did anything real creative to really reduce weight. All off the shelf stuff with no exotic Euro boutique parts.

    Only weight I really remember is the weight of the frame at 1111gr. Only reason I remembered it is because it came out to all 1's. The fork is 1400 something grams. Can't recall the exact number.

    I'm #145 before gear.

    Attachment 1076593
  • 06-15-2016
    xcbarny
    Nice work. I had a JET RDO at 24lb with SIDs and a few other heavier parts (XT cranks Chris King Hubs etc), but the Lefty seems to make a big difference.

    I still managed to win a few races on it - I was surprised how fast it rode for a duelly.
  • 06-15-2016
    xcbarny
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Thats light for the forks, I didn't realise Fox were so light. What model are they?

    I guess I may have to post my Chiner up too.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Eh...what the heck. I'll post up.

    Weight is 20.5lbs ready to ride (including bottle cage and Garmin mount) Not really weight weenie since I don't think I did anything real creative to really reduce weight. All off the shelf stuff with no exotic Euro boutique parts.

    Only weight I really remember is the weight of the frame at 1111gr. Only reason I remembered it is because it came out to all 1's. The fork is 1400 something grams. Can't recall the exact number.

    I'm #145 before gear.

    Attachment 1076593

  • 06-15-2016
    fatcat
    1 Attachment(s)
    19.5....dang this bike is like a DH bike compared to karimian's 11 pounder...but its a decent weight for a comfort/cx bike
  • 06-15-2016
    RS VR6
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by xcbarny View Post
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Thats light for the forks, I didn't realise Fox were so light. What model are they?

    I guess I may have to post my Chiner up too.

    Its a "Performance" level Fox. It's got the FIT cartridge, but no Kashima or Trail Adjust.
  • 06-28-2016
    AnteXTC


    8.45kg

    Skickat från min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk
  • 07-20-2016
    nunokas
    2 Attachment(s)
    New weight with the new fox step cast.

    Attachment 1083243


    Attachment 1083245
  • 07-31-2016
    Dan-W
    That KTM is looking sharp. It would be interesting to hear how everyone gets on with the new Fox forks.I haven't ridden anything that comes close to my old Magura Durin...

    Quote:

    I bet you this rideable bike below is lighter than ALL the bikes on this thread...and is still meeting the requirements to appear on this neck of the woods.
    The big difference between your picture and *that* one is the bike in your picture has been ridden ;)

    I'm rebuilding my Chiner niner w/ XX1, Sids, dropper which should come in under 8.7kg ready to ride, and will post up when done
  • 08-01-2016
    Minley1
    1 Attachment(s)
    Scott Scale 610
    A bit of an update on my Scott Scale 610

    Spec:

    Frame: Scott Scale 610 Carbon
    Fork: Rock Shox Sid RCT3
    Headset: Hope
    Wheels: Light Bicycle Carbon with DT Swiss 190 Hubs & MT Zoom Tubeless Valves
    Tyres: Schwalbe Rocket Ron Evo
    Group set: Shimano XTR M9000 Race with Absolute Black Oval 34t
    Pedals: XTR M9000 Race
    Bottom Bracket: Hope
    Seat Post: Smud Carbon 34.9x350
    Seat Clamp: KCNC
    Stem: New Ultimate Evo
    Stem Cap: Absolute Black
    Bars: New Ultimate Evo Carbon
    Grips: Lizzard Skins DSP
    Saddle: Selle San Marco Aspide Carbon FX Protek

    Weight as per image 8.23Kg (18.14 pounds)




    Attachment 1085353
  • 08-02-2016
    nunokas
    5 Attachment(s)
  • 08-04-2016
    norsk biker
    1 Attachment(s)
    Storck Rebelion 1.1
    At 20.5 lbs. I would consider this lightweight for a 210 lbs. rider.....and you don't see too many of them :)
  • 08-17-2016
    mkutch01
    1 Attachment(s)
    Found a "NOS" 2013 Scott Scale 700RC Nino frame-only that I just completed the full build.

    Weighed in at 18.6lbs (8470g) in the config as you see but without pedals. Very stoked.

    Attachment 1088587
  • 09-25-2016
    karimian5
    11.1lbs MTB
    Broke my previous record by 40 grams :) !!!
  • 10-27-2016
    poynt
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by andrepsz View Post
    That's the most impressive part of your build...14lbs with lots of weight still to shave just on the frame! very cool parts


    Here is the updated build with the carbon Flash frame, but I have already got another even lighter Scale frame and so will alter some of the **heavier parts on this build again and re post.



    **Frame: Cannondale Flash Hi-Mod M, 968g, to be replaced with Scale starting at 900g before being striped/sanded, low 800g's expected?
    **Forks: Sid World Cup with carbon crown and steerer, tuned internals, 1058g, further internal and lowers tuning to come.
    Seatpost: Darimo T1 Carbon, 250mm x 27.2mm, 61g
    Bottle bolts: Tidds x4, 1.1g
    Saddle: Mileba, 53.5g
    Seat Post Collar: Yuniper 30mm, 6g
    **Stem: Extralite UltraStem 100mm, 101g To be replaced with a Lyti 70mm @68g
    **Headset: Canno reducing headset, 84g, to be replaced with Extralite Ultratop/bottom and adapter, 53g
    H/S Cap & Bolt: Extralite Hypercap & Ultrastar 3, 2.7g, 5.8g, 8,5g
    **Handlebars: Extralite Ultrabar 25.4m, 525mm, 94g, to be replaced with a Darimo 31.8 bar when available, 60+g
    Grips: Extralite Hypergrips, incl Plugs, 10g
    Brakes: Formula R1R, tunes with alu bolts, Front 160g, Rear 170g, 330g
    Disc Rotors: Alpha Carbon, 140mm 32g, 160mm 41g, total, 73g
    Shifter: XTR M980 10spd Alu bolts, 100g
    Shifter cables: Powercordz and Tune plastic outers, 8g
    Rear Derailleur: XTR M980 10spd, Tuned Alu bolts, carbon hanger, Extralite pullies, 150g
    **Pedals: Eggbeaters, 4Ti, tuned to 147g,
    **Bottom bracket: BB30 cups, 77g, to be replaced on new frame with THM/Lightning BB92 cups, 55-66g +/_
    Crankset: Lightning, 170mm, 347g
    Chainring: Garbaruk Melon Oval 32t Thick thin, 57g
    Chain: KMC Gold 10spd, 230g
    Cassette: KCNC Titanium, 11-34T, 164g
    Wheels: Tune Olympic Gold II 26"
    Hubs: Tune Princess Skyline & Prince
    Spokes & Nipples: Sapim Super spoke Black, Poly Alu black
    Rims: Stan's Podium
    Skewers: Heylight, 34g
    Wheel weight: 509g front, 607g rear, total, 1116g
    Tubes: Schwalbe Evo, 65,67g, 132g
    Tires: Maxxis MaxxLite 285s, 280g/278g total, 558g,

    Flash weight in present configuration 6009g. 13.2lbs
    Scale build hope to be down to about 5660g. 12.5lbs
  • 10-28-2016
    xc71
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by poynt View Post
    Here is the updated build with the carbon Flash frame, but I have already got another even lighter Scale frame and so will alter some of the **heavier parts on this build again and re post.



    **Frame: Cannondale Flash Hi-Mod M, 968g, to be replaced with Scale starting at 900g before being striped/sanded, low 800g's expected?
    **Forks: Sid World Cup with carbon crown and steerer, tuned internals, 1058g, further internal and lowers tuning to come.
    Seatpost: Darimo T1 Carbon, 250mm x 27.2mm, 61g
    Bottle bolts: Tidds x4, 1.1g
    Saddle: Mileba, 53.5g
    Seat Post Collar: Yuniper 30mm, 6g
    **Stem: Extralite UltraStem 100mm, 101g To be replaced with a Lyti 70mm @68g
    **Headset: Canno reducing headset, 84g, to be replaced with Extralite Ultratop/bottom and adapter, 53g
    H/S Cap & Bolt: Extralite Hypercap & Ultrastar 3, 2.7g, 5.8g, 8,5g
    **Handlebars: Extralite Ultrabar 25.4m, 525mm, 94g, to be replaced with a Darimo 31.8 bar when available, 60+g
    Grips: Extralite Hypergrips, incl Plugs, 10g
    Brakes: Formula R1R, tunes with alu bolts, Front 160g, Rear 170g, 330g
    Disc Rotors: Alpha Carbon, 140mm 32g, 160mm 41g, total, 73g
    Shifter: XTR M980 10spd Alu bolts, 100g
    Shifter cables: Powercordz and Tune plastic outers, 8g
    Rear Derailleur: XTR M980 10spd, Tuned Alu bolts, carbon hanger, Extralite pullies, 150g
    **Pedals: Eggbeaters, 4Ti, tuned to 166g, Ti spring to be added reducing to 151g
    **Bottom bracket: BB30 cups, 77g, to be replaced on new frame with THM/Lightning BB92 cups, 55g +/_
    Crankset: Lightning, 170mm, 347g
    Chainring: Garbaruk Melon Oval 32t Thick thin, 57g
    Chain: KMC Gold 10spd, 230g
    Cassette: KCNC Titanium, 11-34T, 164g
    Wheels: Tune Olympic Gold II 26"
    Hubs: Tune Princess Skyline & Prince
    Spokes & Nipples: Sapim Super spoke Black, Poly Alu black
    Rims: Stan's Podium
    Skewers: Heylight, 34g
    Wheel weight: 509g front, 607g rear, total, 1116g
    Tubes: Schwalbe Evo, 65,67g, 132g
    Tires: Maxxis MaxxLite 285s, 280g/278g total, 558g,

    Flash weight in present configuration 6009g. 13.2lbs
    Scale build hope to be down to about 5660g. 12.5lbs

    Cool build. Where did you get the Alpha rotors and what pads are you running with them. How is the stopping power.
  • 10-29-2016
    poynt
    Direct from Alpha, and they recomend ceramic pads, I got some of the TruckerCo alloy backed organic semi-metallic, cheap and lite.

    They seem to have good initial bite, haven't used them much as I have already started striping the bike for the Scale build.

    Products | Alpha Motocicletas
  • 10-31-2016
    karimian5
    Yup they are amazing rotors and crazy light .
  • 11-16-2016
    karimian5
    1 Attachment(s)
    10.9lbs MTB
    I tried to edit my above post so I don't keep posting but it won't let me . I am forbidden for some reason .

    Anyway the bike is now 4970rams :) !!!

    Still more to do .
  • 11-17-2016
    mrbadwrench
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    Haven't seen a light FS 29er posted up in a while so here's mine, 21.40 pounds. Everything is fully race-tested. Awaiting shipment of a carbon steerer that should put me within striking distance of 20.9# :)

    Niner Jet 9 RDO frame size XL
    Cannondale Lefty MAX Carbon fork, converted to 120mm
    SRAM XX1 grip shift with 36t ring
    Notubes ZTR Valor wheelset, rear rebuilt with stiffer spokes
    Schwalbe Thunder Burt Snakeskin tires, 2.1"
    Formula R1 brakes
    Race Face Next bar 725mm
    KCNC stem with replaced bolts, 90mm
    Enve seatpost, 400mm
    Specialized S-works cranks, 180mm
    Time ATAC XS Titan Carbon pedals
    ESI Racers edge grips
    Selle Italia SLR XC saddle
    King Ti bottle cage
    Project 321 Lefty steerer

    Attachment 1073764

    Now THIS is impressive!
  • 11-18-2016
    Krunner44
    2 Attachment(s)
    Finally got some decent pix of my Highball
    2017 Highball, 18.82lbs w/ cages, pedals, and garmin mount:)

    Enve fork, stem, post, bars, cages
    Stans Valor Pros
    Eagle XX1
    Kenda Honey Badger Pros (will switch to the new lighter Saber Pros for more grams savings asap)
    RedMonkey Fat Paws
    S'Manie GP142 saddle
    Attachment 1106071Attachment 1106072
  • 11-24-2016
    karimian5
    14 Attachment(s)
    10.7lbs MTB !!!
    Took another 90grams off using custom carbon fibre pad plates I made and replacing all spokes with titanium (finished with alloy blue nipples) .

    It says 4850grams but I have drained the brakes of fluid as this bike will now be a show bike to show what can be achieved (it is fully rideable on semi rough terrain BTW ) . Brake fluid I have calculated at 30 grams so totals 4880grams .

    Also some pics of the carbon parts I made (about 10% of what I have done to the bike) :D !!!
  • 11-24-2016
    phlegm
    That is freakishly low. Curious about the "saddle" - do you have more detail on that?
  • 11-24-2016
    karimian5
    Ha ha I do get comments about it . It's actually the Extralite Hypersaddle that I machined down before mating it to the Schmolke TLO post . I made my own carbon plug and epoxied it into the post and then epoxied the shell to the plug . I didn't need extra fabric as the plug is pretty thick and the combo takes my weight (78kg) . I realised you don't need the nose of the saddle really . Some people like to sit on the edge but for me I always sit far back so I only need the back part of the saddle .

    The combo weighs 62grams and the post is 31.8 . I don't know the length because i cut the post down and didn't measure . I cut the post to the same distance to the clamping marks on the post where I usually have the post down in the frame . That means no adjustment of the post . It has to be that height for the length of post inside the frame .