• 01-18-2017
    Le Duke
    How do your ENVE XCs weigh 1900g???

Mine are just under 1500g...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • 01-18-2017
    MattMay
    Confused as well. Not sure I understand "extrapolate back." (I understand the term, just not how it's specifically applied here.) It almost seems like there might be double counting in there somewhere.
  • 01-18-2017
    alexbn921
    Quote:

Originally Posted by karimian5 View Post
    I tried to edit my above post so I don't keep posting but it won't let me . I am forbidden for some reason .

Anyway the bike is now 4970rams :) !!!

Still more to do .

I want to see some footage of this bike going Down a trail. :eekster:
  • 01-18-2017
    Le Duke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I want to see some footage of this bike going Down a trail. :eekster:

You'll never see pictures of it outside, let alone a gravel road, smooth double track, or a rock strewn trail.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • 01-18-2017
    alexdi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    I was also surprised to see your wheel weights. Would be interested to see the raw scale numbers on those (sans rubber, sealant) whenever you happen to swap out tires.

I think there's another 1/2 lb to even 1lb available to shed, but that depends on your budget. With reasonable selections to several components (rubber, saddle, bars, bolts, grips), the loss can add up. BTW, don't see any wheel hardware (axles) listed.

Also, is there an adapter on your front rotor to obtain the 180mm? Can you get away with 160, and also drop the adapter?

Lastly, after frame and wheels (including rubber), your next heaviest component percentage-wise is the dropper. I realize you like it, but that's >1 lb right there from stock Scalpel.

The wheels, ready to ride, were 3.48 lbs and 4.56 lbs. I subtracted Schwalbe's listed tire weight, actual rotor and screw weights, 60g for sealant and rim strips, and the cassette weight from the rear wheel. The result was what's in the spreadsheet.

EDIT: Schwalbe is full of crap. I just pulled apart the front wheel. After clearing out some gunk, I get 699g each for both the front wheel (excluding rotor) and the tire. If the rear tire weighs the same, the rear wheel is 977g. So, about 1.67kg, including stickers and a full-width rubber rim strip. I don't know how BikeRadar got a number 150g less for a set with Chris King hubs. The Lefty hub is lighter than a DT 240 and the DT 350 doesn't appear any heavier than the CK's.

I went out of my way to add the dropper. The head angle on this bike is 71.4 and the the stock stem is super-long, so it wants to pitch me over the bars on some of the local downhills. The extra pound hurts, definitely, but the post builds a lot of confidence.

I think the axles are part of Cannondale's quoted frame weight. There's some fudge factor here, relying on third-party weights; I haven't stripped the thing down to weigh it myself. Same with the Lefty. Lots of people say they're getting 1.3kg or so; Art's Cyclery says 1402g. The total for the bike is almost spot-on.

There's a single bracket on the front for the 180mm rotors. I'd be more likely to choose a thinner rotor than to drop the diameter, I weigh too much for anything smaller on 29 wheels.
  • 01-18-2017
    phlegm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    The wheels, ready to ride, were 3.48 lbs and 4.56 lbs. I subtracted Schwalbe's listed tire weight, actual rotor and screw weights, 60g for sealant and rim strips, and the cassette weight from the rear wheel. The result was what's in the spreadsheet.

EDIT: Schwalbe is full of crap. I just pulled apart the front wheel. After clearing out some gunk, I get 699g each for both the front wheel (excluding rotor) and the tire. If the rear tire weighs the same, the rear wheel is 977g. So, about 1.67kg, including stickers and a full-width rubber rim strip. I don't know how BikeRadar got a number 150g less for a set with Chris King hubs. The Lefty hub is lighter than a DT 240 and the DT 350 doesn't appear any heavier than the CK's.

I went out of my way to add the dropper. The head angle on this bike is 71.4 and the the stock stem is super-long, so it wants to pitch me over the bars on some of the local downhills. The extra pound hurts, definitely, but the post builds a lot of confidence.

I think the axles are part of Cannondale's quoted frame weight. There's some fudge factor here, relying on third-party weights; I haven't stripped the thing down to weigh it myself. Same with the Lefty. Lots of people say they're getting 1.3kg or so; Art's Cyclery says 1402g. The total for the bike is almost spot-on.

There's a single bracket on the front for the 180mm rotors. I'd be more likely to choose a thinner rotor than to drop the diameter, I weigh too much for anything smaller on 29 wheels.

I don't know what it is about tires, but for whatever reason no 2 of them are ever the same weight. They make them at the same time, at the same place, in the same machine, with the same amount of "goop", yet the variability is ridiculous - and not just with Schwalbe.

As for the dropper, I'm not against it by any means, but yes, it goes counter to weight goals for sure.

A fair number of bikes seem to be "over-braked" at the factory, especially for smaller riders. I suspect this somehow relates to litigation concerns in the US. In any event, it's always nice to remove an adapter, and lose weight that way, and buy a smaller rotor. However, if you are larger and are conscious of your brake needs, then of course retain the 180. You can try KCNC as they are inexpensive, although I've found the cutouts are a bit aggressive, and there's a bit of a grab penalty for that. YMMV.
  • 01-18-2017
    alexdi
    115g is a hell of a difference, even accounting for what was probably 50g of baked-in sealant. The Maxxis tires were respectively 6g lighter and 4g heavier than quoted.

It also turns out the previous owner had left in an ocean of sealant in the rear wheel. The tire weight is still accurate, but the correct wheel weight is: 699g front, 852g rear. 1551g. That's very reasonable. If these narrow rims don't squirm with the 2.35" Maxxis tires, I won't have much reason to upgrade them.

Current weight is now 10.64 Kg, though that's without sealant. I'll look into KCNC, thanks. The pricing is pretty reasonable.
  • 01-18-2017
    andrepsz
    Post your light-weight bikes!
    79er (29er front) XC FS 120R/150F launch control to 100, no dropper <21lbs...sound good?
  • 02-11-2017
    rumblytumbly
    great bike
  • 02-24-2017
    edwardmo
    1 Attachment(s)
    My 17.8 lbs Storck;)

Attachment 1123385

Frame: Storck Rebelion 1.0 M size
    Fork: Rock Shox SID World Cup Dual Air 2012
    Headset: Cane Creek + Extralite Ultrastar 3 + Hypercap
    Stem: Extralite Hyper Stem 80mm
    Handlebar: EC90 590mm
    Grips: ESI Chunky
    Front Brake: Magura MT8
    Rear Brake: Magura MT8
    Rotors: Sram XX with titanium bolts
    Shifters: Sram X.0 Grip Shift 9Sp
    Front Derailleur: Sram X.0 2X10
    Crankset: Shimano XTR M970 170mm + Extralite Octaramp GARA +
    Extralite Bolt
    Bottom Bracket: FSA Mega EXO 9200 Ceramic BSA
    Rear Derailleur: Sram X.0 Short Cage 9Sp
    Cassette: SRAM XG-999 11-32 Or Shimano Ultegra 6500 9sp
    Chain: Campagnolo Record 10sp
    Pedals: Wellgo MG6
    Rims: NoTubes ZTR Alpine 32H
    Front Hub: Extralite HyperFront 32H
    Rear Hub: Extralite HyperRear 32H
    Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray
    Rim Tape: NoTubes
    Skewers: Extralite Streeters Front , Controltech Race Light Rear
    Tires: Schwalbe Furious Fred Tubeless
    Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Tekno Flow
    Seatpost: 3t dorico team 30mm seatback
    Bottle Cage: Fabric Water Bottle
  • 02-24-2017
    hdparrish
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crossmaxx View Post
    What you also have to bare in mind is how aggressively you are riding. No offence meant, but I don't think you're pushing your components as hard as most people are judging from your aggressive tuning jobs. I wouldn't dare trying most of them, and I weigh 58 kgs.

Hey, Crossmaxx. Been a year. How are the trails in Sweden? Still no riding here--8 inches of fresh snow since Wednesday night.
  • 03-04-2017
    Bigjunk1

Prototype Cannondale 29er aluminum frame
    Rockshox SID rct3
    Shimano XT 30 speed drivetrain [crank, cassette, chain]
    xt front and rear derailluers
    xt shifters
    xt brakes
    xt bottom bracket
    160 rear, 180 front Avid HS1rotors
    WTB Phase wheelset=WTB Frequency team rims
    Novatec hubs F=d811sb, R=d812sb
    C2 carbon seatpost
    C2 stem
    Next headset
    Cannondale all mountain saddle
    alum. bottle cage
    Jagwire Lex-sl cables
    Xpedo spry pedals
    Easton EC90 riser bars, 715mm
    Silicone grips / not pictured
    Cannondale QR seat post clamp
    Sortie 29x2.1 tires
    Titanium and alum. bolts for most stuff

Weighs a little over 23 pounds with my Xpedo Spry pedals ,not terrible for a 30 speed aluminum 29er.
  • 03-07-2017
    alexdi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    Haven't seen a light FS 29er posted up in a while so here's mine, 21.40 pounds. Everything is fully race-tested. Awaiting shipment of a carbon steerer that should put me within striking distance of 20.9# :)

Did you measure the before and after on that steerer? I'm curious, I have the same alloy 321 steerer (amusingly on a Scalpel; I wanted to run a non-OPI stem) and it wasn't that heavy to start.
  • 03-16-2017
    semmiho
    2 Attachment(s)
    I have built a race-ready, more or less weight weenie bike for this race season. With rigid fork. :)
    Handlebar, seatpost and seatpost clamp still "heavy" (180g, 240g and 51 g) so there are still some room for further improvement. Oh, and derailleur is only an XT (~270g), shifter is also an XT (122g), etc.
    Still, it's my lightest bike ever. Including my road bike, which is 9,1 kg... :D

Attachment 1126871

Weight is 8,46 kg (18,65 lbs)
    Attachment 1126877
  • 03-16-2017
    phlegm
    Can you fix the 2nd pic?
  • 03-16-2017
    semmiho
    Quote:

Can you fix the 2nd pic?

Is the 2nd pic OK now?

FYI, the wheelset is an Acros XC Race 29 carbon, I measured 595g for the front and 700g for the rear wheel. :-) Rims are Duke Lucky Jack 29, 25mm internal rim width.
  • 03-16-2017
    phlegm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by semmiho View Post
    Is the 2nd pic OK now?

FYI, the wheelset is an Acros XC Race 29 carbon, I measured 595g for the front and 700g for the rear wheel. :-) Rims are Duke Lucky Jack 29, 25mm internal rim width.

Thx - nice build and nice weight on the wheelset.
  • 04-02-2017
    Bengismo
    2 Attachment(s)
    This is my 7.7kg Scott Scale 29er
    Attachment 1129704

Its got heavy pedals on it. I have yet to put SPD pedals on and I have some solid carbon forks that will get it down to around 6.7kg if I wanted it really light, but I like it more 'usable' rather than being a no suspension bike.

This is its little brother. A 26er Scale 35 which is about 8.2kg in this picture
    Attachment 1129705

• 04-05-2017
    phlegm
    Nice builds, but the 26" is cheating. :)
  • 04-06-2017
    Seb K
    I wouldn't say it's cheating as 26" wheels are still being used today :) - 24" would be cheating (I have seen a custom build with 24" wheels and it just looks wrong) . 26/27.5/29 are all MTB wheel sizes .
  • 04-22-2017
    davgus
    2 Attachment(s)
    Chinese frame, Lauf fork, 27.5 plus
  • 04-23-2017
    phlegm
    Very interesting combination of the Lauf, and the plus tires. Can you give us some details on the ride?
  • 04-23-2017
    Le Duke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by davgus View Post

That looks like a voided warranty and hospital visit in the making.
  • 04-23-2017
    davgus
    ???
  • 04-23-2017
    Le Duke
    Quote:

???

Most fork manufacturers require <2" of exposed steerer, between frame and stem. That looks to be more than that.
  • 04-23-2017
    phlegm
    Fair point - that's a long lever.
  • 04-23-2017
    Seb K
    Steerer is too far above the frame . It is a carbon steerer so more delicate than a metal version .Shorten the steerer and get a high rise stem .
  • 04-23-2017
    davgus
    It's slightly less than two inches. Lauf doesn't state a restriction on their installation guide. I'm an old fart. Almost all my bikes look like that.
  • 04-24-2017
    Seb K
    Quote:

It's slightly less than two inches. Lauf doesn't state a restriction on their installation guide. I'm an old fart. Almost all my bikes look like that.

No more than 30mm spacers below the stem . You have way more than that .

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pmwk8vw6p...ationGuide.pdf
  • 04-25-2017
    MattMay
    2 Attachment(s)
    New Epic HT build. 19.25 lbs as shown. Faux Eagle xx1. :-)

Attachment 1133736

Frame: Epic S-Works HT medium (890g).
    Front Wheel: NOX Skyline 29 | I9 Torch 12x148 | Sapim CX-Ray
    Rear Wheel: NOX Skyline 29 | I9 Torch 15x110 | Sapim CX-Ray
    Tires: Maxxis Aspen 2.25 f/r
    Rotors: Formula Al Cr 2-Piece 160mm f/r
    Cassette: SRAM X01 10-42
    Fork: '17 Fox Float 32 boost 51mm rake
    Cranks: Raceface NEXT SL 175mm
    Chainring: Absolute Black Oval 32, boost
    BB: Raceface PF30
    Seatpost: Specialized Command Post xcp 50mm (418g w/out cable)
    Brake Levers: Shimano XTR M9000
    Shifter: SRAM X01
    Dropper Remote: Wolftooth REmote (integrated w brake lever)
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM xx1
    Chain: XMC X11SL
    Bars: Extralite Hyberbar UL 710mm
    Stem: Extralite Hyperstem stealth 80mm
    Pedals: Crank Bros Candy 11
    Grips: Crank Bros bolt on
    Saddle: 612 Ergowave Carbon rails

Attachment 1133737

Edit: just installed 2018 Fox 32 Stepcast, 1370g. Total weight dropped to 18.55 lbs. And the fork seems much better suited to the build...first ride yesterday and the new Evol spring and larger neg chamber makes it feel more plush and responsive than the regular 120.
  • 04-25-2017
    phlegm
    Love that frame!
  • 04-25-2017
    MattMay
    Thx Phlegm!
  • 04-25-2017
    John Kuhl
    That is a solid build for such a light bike, good job.
  • 04-26-2017
    MattMay
    Thank you John! It's very capable and perfect for where I ride 98% of the time...southern Cal.
  • 04-26-2017
    rebnah
    1 Attachment(s)
    Scott Scale custom build
    Could change a few bits to get it lighter but i think 8.32 KG / 18.36 LBS is a good weight for now

Spec as follows:
    Frame: Scale Carbon IMP technology / HMF / Tapered HT PM 160 Disc / BB92 IDS SL DM dropouts for 142x12mm SDS Shock Damping System

Forks: FOX 32 Step Cast Float Factory Air / Kashima FIT4 3-Modes with low speed adj. / Kabolt 15x110mm axle Tapered steerer / Lockout / Reb. Adj. 100mm travel. Custom stealth decals

Headset: Syncros Pro / Tapered 1.5" - 1 1/8" semi integ. OD 50/61mm /
    ID 44/55mm

Bars: Thomson Carbon / ESI Extra chunky grips

Stem: Thomson Elite X4 90mm

Shifter: Sram XX1 Trigger

Rear Mech: Sram XX1 / Eagle

Speed: 12

Chainset: Sram XX1 Eagle GXP PF Carbon crankarm QF 168 34T

Bottom Bracket: Sram GXP PF integated / shell 41x89.5mm

Cassette: Sram XX1 / Eagle / 10-50 T

Chain: Sram PCXX1 Eagle GOLD

Front Brake: Shimano XTR M9000 Disc 180mm SM-RT81 CL Icetech Rotor

Rear Brake: Shimano XTR M9000 Disc 160mm SM-RT81 CL Icetech Rotor

Wheels: SYNCROS 650B Tubeless ready stealth

Tyres: Front Schwalbe Rocket Ron EVO Snakeskin Evo 27.5/650b 2.1
    Rear Schwalbe Rocket Ron EVO Snakeskin Evo 27.5/650b 2.1

Seatpost: Thomson inline master piece 31.6 /350mm Black

Seat clamp: Thomson Alloy

Saddle: Charge spoon stealth reflective LTD edition black

Pedals: Spare Nukeproof added just so it has some pedals

Weight: 8.32 KG / 18.36 LBS
  • 04-26-2017
    phlegm
    Nice, a lot of great builds showing up lately! Nicely-chosen components too.

This is why I have to keep upgrading - jerks!
  • 05-01-2017
    MattMay
    gotta keep you on your toes!
  • 05-01-2017
    andrepsz
    I'd like to draw the attention to this thread on the weightweenies forum.

If there was a Oscar for weightweenies I'd give it to this guy:
    Scott RC Scale/Spark 900 SL (Goal: sub6,6kg/sub8kg) - Weight Weenies
  • 05-01-2017
    chomxxo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by andrepsz View Post

This guy reminds me of Eliflap.
  • 05-01-2017
    Radioinactive
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MattMay View Post
    New Epic HT build. 19.25 lbs as shown. Faux Eagle xx1. :-)

Attachment 1133736

Attachment 1133737

seriously well done man, it reminds me a bit of this.

Attachment 1135002
  • 05-02-2017
    Seb K
    Quote:

This guy is awesome but I have seen better . Bottom line is this is what WW is all about .
  • 05-02-2017
    7daysaweek
    Quote:

Couldn't do that. Those were some good looking frames and the paint is just not worth it to me. I'll keep the extra 60g or whatever he said it was.

Impressive though.
  • 05-02-2017
    MattMay
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Radioinactive View Post
    seriously well done man, it reminds me a bit of this.

Attachment 1135002

Thanks! Definite color scheme kin.
  • 05-08-2017
    Natpeters
    2 Attachment(s)
    Some great looking bikes here! Here's another from the black & gold family; a Scott Scale SL that I'm finishing up for my son. This is my first mtb build, and I wasn't setting out for a true ww build, but it's coming out pretty good.

Attachment 1138092

17.85# sans pedals (not trying to cheat the weigh-in, but he hasn't found pedals that he likes yet). He has Ritchey WCS pedals currently, but doesn't care for them. Any replacement suggestions? Xpedo or XTR?'s He's about 125#, so something with Ti spindles would work. Attachment 1136117
  • 05-08-2017
    phlegm
    Nice build, especially for a first stab at it.

Crank Bros Eggbeater 11 are about as light as you'll find in a mainstream pedal. I run them myself, and they just happen to be gold:
    https://www.crankbrothers.com/product/eggbeater-11
  • 05-08-2017
    Natpeters
    Quote:

Nice build, especially for a first stab at it.

Crank Bros Eggbeater 11 are about as light as you'll find in a mainstream pedal. I run them myself, and they just happen to be gold:
    https://www.crankbrothers.com/product/eggbeater-11

Thanks phlegm; I had my eye on those. I had a pair of CB Candy's on my bike, but found the release inconsistent on those (locked me in on an aborted rock-garden run, followed a finger bent 90 degrees in the opposite direction of what it should have been). Do the Eggbeaters and Candys share the same spring/retention, or are they a bit different between the two?
  • 05-08-2017
    phlegm
    I've never used the Candys, but the mechanism obviously appears to be the same, although I can't confirm.

Your only choices are cleat orientation for release degrees, and the shim which can help/hurt depending on the shoes.
  • 05-22-2017
    Richardwyngaard
    Giant Anthem
    I have been busy with a custom Anthem build for some time.
    I find it hilarious that most bike manufacturers claimed weights are so wrong. The vast majority quote weights with showroom tyres and no pedals.... I also wanted to build a light weight aluminum bike that was race ready and not just built to hang on a scale. This bike races almost every weekend and bombs through rock gardens with no fear of punctures/breakage.

Anyway my build is as follows:

27.5 Anthem Aluxx frame. (2014)
    Kcnc handlebar and stem. Scandium
    ESI grips
    Kcnc seat post scandium
    Selle Italia SLR TT saddle
    ZTR crest wheels/ thirteen hubs
    Raceface next G4 crank
    XTR pedals
    XT drivetrain 1x11/ 11-42
    XT brakes/ custom discs
    Rockshox SID World Cup XX fork
    Conti raceking protection tyres

Weight 10.3kg/ 10.6 (with pedals)

Thoughts? Thanks... will post a pic when I get to my laptop.
  • 05-22-2017
    RS VR6
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Natpeters View Post
    Thanks phlegm; I had my eye on those. I had a pair of CB Candy's on my bike, but found the release inconsistent on those (locked me in on an aborted rock-garden run, followed a finger bent 90 degrees in the opposite direction of what it should have been). Do the Eggbeaters and Candys share the same spring/retention, or are they a bit different between the two?

Bit late to the party...but I have three pairs of CB pedals (Eggbeater, Candy, and Mallet 3's) the release tension on all of them feel the same to me.
  • 07-06-2017
    Cayenne_Pepa
    2015 Pivot Mach429SL - 25.62 pounds, with Rockshox Pike, pedals and dropper post:

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
  • 07-14-2017
    Seb K
    1 Attachment(s)
    12.4lbs - front suspension, full drivetrain, bar and stem plugs and 15mm blt thru
    Lots of work involved :thumbsup: !!!
  • 07-19-2017
    Richardwyngaard
    6 Attachment(s)
    Bullet, my custom Anthem 27.5
    Attachment 1147321Attachment 1147322Attachment 1147323Attachment 1147324Attachment 1147325Attachment 1147326

My 10,7Kg Racing Rig. Full custom. Stripped raw aluminum with brushed finish. Scandium and Carbon bits. Built to race. :)

Only thing remaining from the original bike is the Stem.. I am waiting for a 98g Scandium Stem from KCNC.

Final Build:

Custom Build: Anthem 27.5

Original Bike 12.1 KG with pedals and light tyres.
    Build based on: Anthem 27.5 ALUXX frame / Fox CTD Shock

KCNC SC Wing Stem
    KCNC Scandium ‘Bone’ handlebar
    KCNC Scandium 8000 Seatpost
    Selle Italia – SLR TT Saddle
    Next SL G4 Carbon crank / BB
    XT 1x11 shifter
    XT 11-42 cassette
    XT 1x11 derailleur
    Bontrager XR2/XR3 tyres
    Rockshox SID- XX world cup fork/carbon crown
    XT chain
    XTR cleats
    ZTR crest Rims laced to ‘Thirteen’ hubs
    Quaxar Iris Rotors
    XT brake set
    Cane Creek ‘40’ Headset.
    Full paint strip and brushed aluminum finish with black linkage respray

Final weight with pedals: 10, 648Kg
  • 07-25-2017
    NiklasP
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Seb K View Post

Have you ridden it yet? :D
  • 07-25-2017
    Seb K
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NiklasP View Post
    Have you ridden it yet? :D

Yup . It is now a show bike . I have started a new project for the lightest full suss but I am using an aluminium frame . I have accepted the challenge . :cool:
  • 07-26-2017
    andrepsz
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

This!
    Attachment 1148651
  • 07-26-2017
    semmiho
    That Giant is nice! :)

Just an idea but taking a look to that extremely light hardtail probably a new topic would be created for 'fair play' purposes :D, like 'Post your light-weight, race-ready and race-proven bikes'! :p :cool:
  • 07-26-2017
    ReturnOfTheMTB
    Quote:

Originally Posted by semmiho View Post
    Is the 2nd pic OK now?

What tires are on these and what's the weight with the tires? Thanks
  • 07-26-2017
    semmiho
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ReturnOfTheMTB View Post
    What tires are on these and what's the weight with the tires? Thanks

Front tire: Maxxis Ikon 2.35 TR 3C MaxxSpeed, 705g
    Rear tire: Maxxis Ikon 2.2 TR EXO 3C MaxxSpeed, 625g
    70-80ml Stans No Flats Race sealant used. Unfortunately I haven't measured the wheelset with those tires installed.

Setup sligtly changed in the recent 2 months, front tire is a Rocket Ron 2.25 SnakeSkin LTR now (~610g), rear tire is a Maxxis Aspen 2.1 TR EXO (630g) and front fork has been also changed to a DT Swiss OPM O.L.. Stem also changed from Syntace F149 (titanium screws version, 120g) to a 90 mm PRC 17° (also Ti-screws) which is 106g and gives me a more comfortable position. Actually I changed it only because of the purpose of lowering the handlebar a bit.
    Attachment 1148658

(Current weight? Good question, I will measure it soon.)
  • 07-27-2017
    Seb K
    Quote:

Yup that always gets people talking . It is comfortable . Selle SMP and Becker Carbon also make half saddles . TBH if I added the nose which I could easily do it would only add another 12 or so grams so wouldn't make an overall difference but to me that is unnecessary weight as it isn't needed .
  • 07-29-2017
    Seb K
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Better ?!!! :)
  • 07-29-2017
    andrepsz
    Post your light-weight bikes!
    Quote:

Better ?!!! :)

I never disliked it! Lol....I actually think it make sense and on the first version without the nose it looks also easier to tuck sitting on the top tube for better aerodynamics on the downhills, more room for the body...just make those front edges round (about 5g less....lol)
  • 08-01-2017
    Seb K
    8 Attachment(s)
    8.590kg (18.9lbs)
    Now this weight is with a large aluminium frame so I'm not doing myself any favours to get the weight down but this is a start . A lot of parts are left overs from my other project and others are new and modified . This is the weight I am starting at and I aim to get it below 7kg although this could take a while . Definitely will be ditching the frame for a medium carbon .
  • 09-18-2017
    cbarlow
    Quote:

Now this weight is with a large aluminium frame so I'm not doing myself any favours to get the weight down but this is a start . A lot of parts are left overs from my other project and others are new and modified . This is the weight I am starting at and I aim to get it below 7kg although this could take a while . Definitely will be ditching the frame for a medium carbon .

cool joke bro
  • 09-19-2017
    HyperSprite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Natpeters View Post
    XTR?'s

I've tried just about everything and the XTRs are the best I have found. They may not be as light as the eggbeaters but they work perfect every time.
  • 09-21-2017
    Rako
    1 Attachment(s)
    Blast from the past
    Let me land the time machine here and roll out what may be a Granddaddy of WW bikes. Back when I spec'd this bike out it was more referred to as "Counting Grams". When I originally picked out the brakes they were going to be a light weight set of cantilevers. The bike shop manager called me and said that I may want to rethink the brake selection. They had just gotten a visit from the Shimano rep and had a demonstration of their new V-brakes. Disk brakes were extremely rare and super heavy at the time. Suspension forks had only been out in the mainstream for a few years. Full suspension bikes were also limited and carbon fiber was just making it's way into the bike world. Here are the spec's on my 1995 Specialized M2 Stumpjumper FS. I still have and ride this bike today.

Frame: Specialized M2 Stumpjumper FS 18"
    Fork: Manitou Mach 5 SX (AL)

Headset: Dia Compe Kontac DL
    Stem: Kore Lite 150mm 0 rise w Ti bolts
    Stem Cap: Club Roost w AL bolt
    Handlebar: Scott Thermoplastic LFX 120g
    Grips: Specialized S Works
    Barends: Specialized A1 Dirt Rods w Ti bolts

Brakes: Shimano XT w Ti bolts
    Brake Pads: Shimano XT w Ti nut
    Brake levers/shifters: Shimano XT rapid fire 8 spd w Ti bolts
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT w Ti bolts
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT w Ti bolts
    Cables: Shimano
    Cassette: Shimano M737 8spd 11-28
    Chain: Shimano HG90
    Cranks: Kooka Vader w AL bolts
    Chainrings: Shimano XT 20, 32, 44 w AL bolts
    Bottom Bracket: TNT Hard Drive Ti
    Pedals: Shimano M747 with Action Tec hollow Ti spindles

Hub Skewers: Kore Elite Ti
    Rims: Mavic 217 sup 32 hole
    Hubs: TNT Hard Drive Ti
    Nipples: DT aluminium
    Spokes: DT Revolution DB 1.8x1.5x1.8 261mm F 263 mm B
    Tires: Specialized Team Control F/Master B 1.95's (Fatboy slicks/road)
    Tubes:Specialized Ultra Light

Saddle: Selle italia Flite Ti
    Seatpost: Specialized (Tohoma) 30.9x350 w Ti bolts
    Seatpost Binder: Specialized with custom Ti bolt

Bottle cage: Schwinn AL w AL bolts

Bike hits the scale at 20.76 lbs/9.44 kgs/9,436 g as pictured above.

I've recently changed out my seat for a new Flite Ti Flow and the seatpost is now a Thomson Masterpiece 0 offset (silver). I also have a couple other vintage Kore stems that are shorter and have more rise to play around with so I'm not so stretched out. It was fine a couple of decades ago but, not so easy on my 50 + year old back now. These changes should increase comfort quite a bit.
    This winter I'm going to have the rear derailleur inside cage machined out of aluminum. I'm also going to have some material machined away from the seatpost clamp and redo the Ti bolt. Then there are some Ti bolts that I will replace with AL ones as well as some lighter jockey wheels. I'm not interested in changing out a lot of parts on this bike as I want to keep it looking vintage. With these changes it should drop to sub 20 pounds or right around 9 kg even. I only ride with the Master tires on special occasions to reduce their wear. They are in great shape still despite their age. I still use the Fatboy slicks for road and paved trail riding. Otherwise I've used more modern off road tires throughout the years. Next year I'll likely go with Ron/Ralph combo.
    I had this bike built for when I was racing and to be an express elevator for taking my 200 lb can up the face of ski hills around here, and that's what it did in my youth. This bike in its lifetime has also seen as much air time as your average 747. Much less nowadays for the long climbs and flights, but just as fun as ever turning circles whether it in the woods or pavement.

Attachment 1158858