Page 11 of 73 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 ... LastLast
    REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Huh? You can not pedal up a hill without switching gears?

There is a forum here, called "single speed". Ask folks there how do they manage.

Sure I can, I drop it down to my most comfortable gear before I start to go up...which is generally much lower then a single speed, sit back...and very slowly pedal my way up the hill at about 2-3 mph...I do it all the time friend.

You on the other hand...if you try to go up a 1-2 mile climb like the one I pictured...sure, you might make it, but your lungs and muscles are going to be thrashed by the time you hit the top.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

TR
    Angry bunny
    I am guessing your title is actually true.

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    Lol

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by TR

Speak for yourself pal...but hey, if you want to kill yourself huffing your single speed up a 10% grade far be from me to stop you...good luck.

Gearing

Single speed 36/16

Mountain Bike 36/26

Last edited by jeffgothro; 11-23-2008 at 07:21 PM.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro
    You on the other hand...if you try to go up a 1-2 mile climb like the one I pictured...sure, you might make it, but your lungs and muscles are going to be thrashed by the time you hit the top.
    You just do not get it, don't you?

I do ride to have my lungs and muscles tired. It is called exercise.

It is hard to explain how ridiculous did you come through.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There not, but they sure help and or unless you like walking up hills.
    or unless you've got the legs and lungs and the strength of character to not need them...

I see you're trying to prove the "sub" part of the subgenius moniker... well done lad!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

never more true...
    and with the approximately 20% frictional loss of your derailleur'd drivetrain... well being a subgenius i'm sure you can do the math as to how much energy is expended overcoming those frictional losses as opposed to a single speed drivetrain... and how when you're not wasting said energy on turning jockey wheels and overcoming spring tension you can keep it for the trail...

Hey, I own derailleur'd bikes, and I'm no champion of ANY type of biking, but you gotta admit, you start spouting patent nonsense and you're asking for it.
    Hard to believe someone who rides an 857 is complaining about the inefficiency of other's drivetrains! LMAO!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    never more true...
    and with the approximately 20% frictional loss of your derailleur'd drivetrain... well being a subgenius i'm sure you can do the math as to how much energy is expended overcoming those frictional losses as opposed to a single speed drivetrain... and how when you're not wasting said energy on turning jockey wheels and overcoming spring tension you can keep it for the trail...

Hey, I own derailleur'd bikes, and I'm no champion of ANY type of biking, but you gotta admit, you start spouting patent nonsense and you're asking for it.
    Hard to believe someone who rides an 857 is complaining about the inefficiency of other's drivetrains! LMAO!
    20% seems like a stretch. Is not it on the order of a watt?

Who cares anyway. During wet winter I ride my fixie on roads, and it never occurred to me that getting tired after a long climb is somehow a bad thing.

I am amazed somebody could state such nonsense.
    Last edited by Broccoli; 11-23-2008 at 11:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    20%? That's a joke, right? More like a 4-5% loss with thick goo on your chain!

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    You just do not get it, don't you?

I do ride to have my lungs and muscles tired. It is called exercise.

It is hard to explain how ridiculous did you come through.

Good for you..., there was a time I could ride like that too, but I have asthema now...not so easy for some of us,

To be honest though, I still dont think you can do it, not over several miles and your just running your mouth or tryin to save face.

But hey, far be from me to change anyones mind or get then to listen to something as simple as common since...I know your type...those snobby mt bikers to buy MBA or Dirt Rag every month and wear the cute tight spandex shorts who think they are gods gift to mountain bike and jump on any parts band wagon because some magazine told them to and all there buddys are doing it, you prolly buy those funny little nutrition bars and drink Red Bull-sh*t to and your six dollar cafe latte. Go ahead...live your your little tunnle visioned mountain bike fantasy world, its easy to talk smack over the internet...I dont mind, really.
    Last edited by jeffgothro; 11-24-2008 at 01:07 AM.

REALLY?
    /thread

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Good for you..., there was a time I could ride like that too, but I have asthema now...not so easy for some of us,

To be honest though, I still dont think you cant do it and your just running your mouth or tryin to save face.
    This is the Weight Weenies section of the Forum. If you don't approve of cutting-edge superlight stuff, there's no reason to be here. Go make some positive contributions somewhere that they'll be appreciated, instead of negative ones where they aren't.

mtbr member
    To be honest though, I still dont think you can do it, not over several miles and your just running your mouth or tryin to save face.

But hey, far be from me to change anyones mind or get then to listen to something as simple as common since...I know your type...those snobby mt bikers to buy MBA or Dirt Rag every month and wear the cute tight spandex shorts who think they are gods gift to mountain bike and jump on any parts band wagon because some magazine told them to and all there buddys are doing it. Go ahead...live your your little tunnle visioned mountain bike fantasy world...I dont mind, really.
    You are the only one here in a need to save face, but I doubt it can be done.

REALLY?
    I never said I dont approve, I been there done that, remember, just said it aint for me. I buy parts because they are good, I could care less what they weigh or what some magazines or people tell me. Fair enough?

TR
    Angry bunny

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Whoa....guys, cool your jets! This is just a bike forum.......not a place to match Testosterone levels!!!!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

REALLY?
    Speak for yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    Whoa....guys, cool your jets! This is just a bike forum.......not a place to match Testosterone levels!!!!
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by byknuts

I see you're trying to prove the "sub" part of the subgenius moniker... well done lad!

I rest my case.
    Last edited by jeffgothro; 11-24-2008 at 04:53 AM.

Go faster!
    nice climb

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    +1 to ban this jackass.

REALLY?
    If thats directed torwards me...

Why...because I'm showing what cant be done on a single speed and everyone wants to argue and bash me (including you) and say it can, and then you want to play the ban/troll card when I prove you wrong (typical), tsk, tsk...average single speed gearing simply isnt geared low enough to tackle that steep of hill off road, I dont care how good you are.
    Last edited by jeffgothro; 11-24-2008 at 08:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Why...because I'm showing what cant be done on a single speed and everyone wants to argue and bash me (including you) and say it can, and then you want to play the ban/troll card when I prove you wrong (typical), tsk, tsk...average single speed gearing simply isnt geared low enough to tackle that steep of hill off road, I dont care how good you are.
    Who cares if it can't be done, except you ? Singlespeed is simply for fun.
    If people like to SS it's their problem then.
    It's more efficient, yes but not by much. Nothing is easier on a SS.

P.S. : I own a SS and I like it.

mtbr member
    Gee...Off topic much?

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008

First of all, your clever illustration is a total failure. You post a picture of a jeep where the camera is turned 45 as if that's supposed to have some sort of significance. The jeep is on level ground and you're foolish for thinking otherwise. Level ground sure is tough as hell! Just because you can't do something doesn't mean it cannot be done. There are many people who can push harder than you can and just because it's not something that blows your skirt up then that doesn't mean it doesn't work for people who aren't you. You also make it sound like every singlespeed is configured to run massive gear inches whereas in reality actually much more terrain dependent and people put on the appropriate gear for the trail. There is simply no such thing as 'average' singlespeed gearing. However, best believe there are people who will push tons of gear inches up some very, very gnarly trail. Just because that's not your thing and you're not clever enough to figure out how to adapt a singlespeed drivetrain to trail use doesn't mean it doesn't work.

mtbr member
    Enough! If you guys want to fight then send each other private messages. No one else is interested in your bike battle.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Jeffgothro......no offense, but you really need to be riding MORE- instead of pushing your opinions on to everybody. These forums are here to help us ride better, ride more, and enjoy our rides. Having whatever light, heavy, or old/new bike is insignificant to us. I am definitely NOT a sub-genius......more closer to near mental retardation....if you really want to know. A bike forum is NO place to be flaming somebody you will likely never meet. This message also applies to EVERYBODY else here too.....myself included!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Page 11 of 73 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 ... LastLast