Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post in this thread if you've had a Tune rear hub failure

6K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  Sandal 
#1 ·
I'm about to go to battle with Tune and the local distributor over my rear hub, and I would like some ammunition as I know there are lots of dissatisfied customers.

#3 ·
crankmeister said:
Why whats happened to your hub? has the cassette damaged the freehub? or has the hub cracked? what style of riding do you do? Ive got tune hubs and all has been good so far.
Try to post some pics so we can have a butchers at the damage cheers.
Thanks for your interest, but I'm looking for people with Tune failures, not people without.

I've had freehub cracked and axle cracked. And I only ride XC with no drops and my weight is always under 80kg.

#6 ·
Completely tore apart a cassette body, sort of babied the wheels and didn't even ride them 10 times (couple of races and some training) before the cassette body went tits up, even had problems with them before that happened.. Tune was nice enough to send out a new Al body, by that time the race season was more or less over though, only got to ride them twice after reinstalling the cassette body - then the wheels (and bike) were stolen :-/ I really, really love the look, sound and finish of these hubs and I would really love for these to work, I know some people riding them without issues - unfortunately I will not be buying new ones before I'm absolutely sure they've fixed their problems.

#13 ·
AND those getting a Ti-freehub also get about a 20g weight penalty on top - niiiice:madman:

I was trying to keep people away from Tune for years now since i knew that there were several issues. For years i was in very close contact with the swiss Tune distributor and got to know how bad the reliability is, how many issues he had to resolve... It seems it just took people some more time to realize.

#14 ·
nino said:
AND those getting a Ti-freehub also get about a 20g weight penalty on top - niiiice:madman:

I was trying to keep people away from Tune for years now since i knew that there were several issues. For years i was in very close contact with the swiss Tune distributor and got to know how bad the reliability is, how many issues he had to resolve... It seems it just took people some more time to realize.
What do you care, you don't ride? I doubt the aluminum freewheel will vaporize when you are taking pretty pictures of your bike to post here. Now back to the discussion...

#15 ·
what a stupid line here....

MessagefromTate said:
What do you care, you don't ride? I doubt the aluminum freewheel will vaporize when you are taking pretty pictures of your bike to post here. Now back to the discussion...
what does he know?
what does he give?
what does that kind of writing bring into a forum?

hate and all sorts of negativity.... :madman:

why? can you just be a nice person? what make you write this sort of comment?
I'd like to understand, really.

thank you.

#16 ·
I had a Tune road hub flange rip off the rest of the hub. After 3 years of use, with no truing to mess with spoke tensions, it just gave up. I was bummed of course but it's hard to say it was their "fault". Nor was it mine but things happen. Had the same issue with a Hugi hub back in the day. Dunno....

#21 ·
Cheers! said:
maybe we need to start a thread. Please post in this thread if you have NOT had a tune rear hub failure.

That way the good and bad balance out and no one gets a biased view.
It would have to say "Please post in this thread if you actually ride your bike in the dirt at least once per week and have NOT had a Tune rear hub failure".

I'm sure there's plenty of people here without failures, but their bikes are hanging off a scale most of time...

Everyone I know in Singapore with Tune hubs (about 5-6 guys) have all had failures. Mostly skinny Asian guys riding in a country with max elevation of 166 meters. Not exactly hardcore!

Anyway... the local distro here finally got back to me and said he's waiting on new and improved, stronger parts to ship from Tune. Not sure if he's full of it or not though...

#22 ·
Ok...I will chime in with some info and opinions. Hopefully I wont get flamed ;) We are a Tune distributor and we had rough times with them in the past...mostly problems with their freehubs and sounds coming out of it under load. But all the latest hubs coming out of Tune have been flawless....one thing to consider is that these hubs...and the same goes for Extralite...are borderline on everything...design, weight, etc. So you are more expose to problems than lets say....a DT Swiss or Chris King. But even those two brands they do have failures but of course...if you over build the hub you have better chances..right? But this is Weight Weenies and most of us are looking for the lightest and these are it. So you have to decide if having more maintenance and a higher posibility of failure is your cup of tea in order to drop weight from your bike.

Now...from personal experience I had my problems (creeking sound under load) with Tune hubs and was fixed. My latest wheelset, Tune Prince + Princess, Sapin, and ZTR Race 7000 rims is around 8 months old and is doing great so far. And contrary to the Poster above...my bike is used for XC 3-4 times weekly and I weight 190 lbs...go figure that one or maybe I got lucky!

#24 ·
jmartpr said:
Ok...I will chime in with some info and opinions. Hopefully I wont get flamed ;) We are a Tune distributor and we had rough times with them in the past...mostly problems with their freehubs and sounds coming out of it under load. But all the latest hubs coming out of Tune have been flawless....one thing to consider is that these hubs...and the same goes for Extralite...are borderline on everything...design, weight, etc. So you are more expose to problems than lets say....a DT Swiss or Chris King. But even those two brands they do have failures but of course...if you over build the hub you have better chances..right? But this is Weight Weenies and most of us are looking for the lightest and these are it. So you have to decide if having more maintenance and a higher posibility of failure is your cup of tea in order to drop weight from your bike.

Now...from personal experience I had my problems (creeking sound under load) with Tune hubs and was fixed. My latest wheelset, Tune Prince + Princess, Sapin, and ZTR Race 7000 rims is around 8 months old and is doing great so far. And contrary to the Poster above...my bike is used for XC 3-4 times weekly and I weight 190 lbs...go figure that one or maybe I got lucky!
A product isn't overbuilt if it's lightweight and reliable. I'd put 240s in that category. CK hubs are overbuilt, yes, but they aren't attempting to fill that market segment.

A product is most definitely underbuilt if it is lightweight, and blows up the first time you think about riding hard.

#25 ·
nino said:
By clicking through he pics of the link below you get an idea how it looks like at the Tune-"Factory"....no wonder the quality differs from batch to batch. Can you spell "homemade"?:D
Looks like a normal shop to me. We have build satellite parts in a less impressive shop. You could possibly do quality items in such a setting. I have no idea about Tune parts - I would not buy them.

#26 ·
My former company supplied the robotics for space shuttle (canada arm), and also the space station (canada arm 2 + dexter robot). Build satellites. Launched hardware for manned space flight. Launched probes to Mars.

We did not even have a single CNC center.

So to the poster: Do you think there is higher quality products coming out of taiwanese CNC warehouses that bang out 10,000 hubs a day versus what Tune does?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.