Poll: Best performing???

mtbr member

Poll:Light weight disc brakes - which has the best performance?

I am reviewing my disc options for current WW hardtail project, and the weights seem pretty similiar on all, so it boils down to performance...

Just from what I've read I'm leaning towards the Formula's, head-to-head with the Magura's...the Hope's look nice too...

Having never rode any of these - All votes/comments welcome!
    Last edited by Tag1; 08-29-2006 at 05:45 PM.

mtbr member

kind of tough

peope are going to generally vote for what they are using. Not many have tried all 3 choices. I have tried Formula B4's and BSL's as well as Hope C2's, XC4 (i think) as well as the Mono Minis.

I liked the Formulas, but had to bleed them too often and the never worked well in the winter.

Always came back to Hopes' even though they weigh a bit more. Never tried Maguras.

KMan

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    I'm the other way around from Kman - I have not tried formula brakes, have had a few short spins on Hope mono mini equipped bikes and liked them, but I still like my Maguras - Light, powerful, nice feel/modulation...

I personally would buy the Magura Marta's and get some Ti bolts to make up the weight difference. The Carbon fibre level feels quite weak and flexy when you first ride it, but eventually you will get used to it.

mtbr member
    That's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for...thanks fellas!

Right now I'm leaning towards the Marta SL's - seem to be great performers and not as costly as the Puro's.

One thing I'm wondering about - WW shows the SL rotors at 109g - Would the Hope floating rotors be compatible? (only 89g!)

ballbuster

I got Mono Minis

Quote Originally Posted by Tag1
    I am reviewing my disc options for current WW hardtail project, and the weights seem pretty similiar on all, so it boils down to performance...

Just from what I've read I'm leaning towards the Formula's, head-to-head with the Magura's...the Hope's look nice too...

Having never rode any of these - All votes/comments welcome!
    ... and love them, but my older Magura Claras (two piston version) had more power. Then again, I had to bleed those POSes once a month when they sucked in a massive air bubble, causing a total brake failure when the pads wore a bit. They leaked around the caliper seams too. Man, those things sucked something awful in the reliability department.

I love the Mono Minis, but they are less grabby (but better modulation) and overheat easier under my 200# ass. It isn't really a problem, as long as I watch what I'm doing on the long steep decents, and keep things under control. I only really smoke them when I know I'm doing something stupid. I may try a 185mm front rotor to see if that raises the thermal capacity enough... then again, like I said, not really a big problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0