mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Idea! Please Help! Weight Weenie on a Trail Bike

Hello!

I've been lurking in the forums for a long time, and I was hoping to get feedback on my new build. I want to build up a medium SantaCruz Solo/5010, for 27.5 wheels.

Its not heavy, per say, but I want it lighter! I cant think of any good options at this point though to make any massive effect. I also haven't picked out a headset, any ideas?

On a side note, does anybody have experience with frm axles/Tune axles? they may be currently one of the easier ways to shed weight.

Brake: XTR 237 253 490
    Brake Rotor: XT 115 115 230
    Brake Rotor Bolts: 6ti bolts 24 24 48
    Cables: Nokon 53
    Cassette: 11-36 XG-1080 239
    Chain: KMC sl10 257
    Crankset: NEXT SL 32tooth 430
    Bottom Bracket: RaceFace 87
    Fork: Fox Float 140 +starnut 1700
    Frame: Santa Cruz Solo 2300
    Grips: LizardSkins DSP Mountain 30.3 27
    Handlebar: Raceface 175
    Headset: ??? 100
    Pedals: Time Atac12 240
    Seat: Specialized Phenom Pro 192
    Seat Post: Reverb 550
    Seat Post clamp: Woodman Deathgrip Ti/SL 13
    Shifter: XTR Rear 117
    Stem: RaceFace Turbine 135
    Top cap/spacers: ???? 10
    Tire (Front): Conti. Xking 2.2 racesport 540
    Tire (Rear): Conti. Xking 2.2 racesport 540
    Hub: 32h American Classic Front 116
    Rim: NoTubes ZTR Crest 355
    Spokes: DT 1.8's w/ nipple's 186
    Hub: Industry 9 Rear 255
    Rim: NoTubes ZTR Crest 355
    Spokes: DT 1.8's w/ nipples 186
    Valves:Stans 8
    9934 21.90084

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Great build. I'm thinking the Crest rims are going to be a bit flexy unless you're a very light and smooth trail rider.

Come on, dare me!
    Why the XTR brakes? Take the 2014 Formula R1 and you shave about 100 g (with 160mm rotors). For the spokes, you could go with flat Sapim or DT Aerolite to save more weight too. Finally, you could also save some grams on your stem -- there are quite a lot of durable stems that weigh less than 135g (depending on stem's length).

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the replies!

Spokes, interesting, I'll have to look into that. As for brakes, that is my only "must have". My experience with formula has been subpar... I realized they claimed to have fixed a lot of the problems I had with their new brakes, but I like my shimano I guess.

As for stem? What is lighter in a 60mm length? I have been smashing my head against the wall looking for a light 60mm stem. Everybody makes lighter 90mm, which I'm not such a fan of the handling.

Any suggestions on headset? The Santa Cruz solo needs a tapered headset, with the bottom cup sticking out. I'll go with king, but I want something lighter if you guys can think of it. Does FSA make a headset like that, that will fit their new light bearings?

Formerly of Kent
    Not necessarily lighter, but I'd throw some 30mm wide carbon rims on there. I'm only 145lbs in race shape, but going from AL to carbon is a game changer, particularly on the front wheel. I have Enve clinchers and DT Swiss tubulars for my XC HT 29er race bike, and 30mm Chinese carbon clinchers on my AM rig. Only aluminum rim at this point is a Bontrager Mustang I have laced up to my PowerTap disc hub.

Keep the XTR brakes. Get lighter rotors, though. You can get Ashima AiRotors for like $15 each.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The weight and price of the Ashima interested me until I read a bunch of posts describing them as "bendy" and "pulsating". I have XT 160 and it'd be great to lose a few grams on the cheap then sell the icetech. Any improvements recently on the Ashima AiRotors to warrant the switch and save about 40 grams front and rear total?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was wondering the same. Ice tech rotors work great so far in my experience. I wish I could afford enves, most likely next years upgrade. Headset suggestions?

Come on, dare me!
    I have the 160mm one-piece Formula R1 rotors (87 g) and happy with them. As for the stem, look at the Syntace F109 -- under 100 g.

Thumper
    As Jerome suggests plus Zoom bars: 25.4mm x 580mm 85g , 31.8mm x 580mm 94g, approx $125. drops almost 1/4 lbs

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the replies! I'm definite looking into the syntace stem. It's fugly, but that's almost 30g savings. I will also look into the formula rotors. Ice tech is nice... But it's heavy. I'll probably end up keeping them around, in case it doesn't work out. I'm intrigued about the mt. zoom bars. Those ones are too short, but they make an xl bar that looks right on.

So what about headsets? How do one weight weenie those?

Thumper
    Extralite on my xc race bike and fatbike. Extralite came out with the ExtraBolt 16 (6g) for 1 1/8 forks in tapered headtube if you need that. Chris King on my am.

And I'm gonna second Jerome on the CX Ray Sapim flat spokes too. Why use anything else unless you're dh.

Tune 27.5" wheelset $800 for racing only! Not trail riding:
    Tune Prince Cannonball Sapim CX Ray Carbon Rims 1144G 27 5" | eBay

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedLite View Post
    Tune 27.5" wheelset $800 for racing only! Not trail riding:
    Tune Prince Cannonball Sapim CX Ray Carbon Rims 1144G 27 5" | eBay
    I don't understand race day only. Isn't that the one time you need it to work at its best, and you'll push it the hardest?

That is a good price though... I'd be hesitant of buying carbon wheels online though. You guys got me to looking into enve.... dangerous game for my wallet...

Thanks for the headset though. The problem is that the santa cruz solo needs to have the bottom cup stuck out. It looks like Chris King might be the only one... but i really don't believe the hype, as well as its heavy :/

Thumper
    Race Day only: I save my lightest/most expensive wheelset for racing. I guess if I had more money I would have many lightest wheelsets. I run heavier all round wheelsets when not racing, plus I hit harder jumps etc. xc bikes aren't really meant for while I'm training just to spice it up a little.

That's a great price on that wheelset.

Come on, dare me!
    Oh yes, as WickedLite said, a safe and fun (although expensive for what it is) way to save a bit more weight is the Extralite stem cap and bolt. Mine weighted 4g (replaced a cap/bolt assembly around 25 g)...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I ordered a kcnc top cap and star nut. I may swap it out with a blank carbon one, just for looks. Every bit helps My goal is to be right at 22 or a hair under at like 21.9 pounds with pedals and everything else. I have a bet saying it can't be done. Do you guys know if the new 2014 revelation 650b is lighter than a fox? The fox came in at 1700g from their website. It didn't look like magura had a fork in 130mm at 650b too bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Well, here is the (almost) final build. Bike comes in at 22.01 lbs. Still needs black valve stems, and the black rockshox stickers i had made.

On a totally unrelated note, does anybody have a good way to lose 29g?

Please Help! Weight Weenie on a Trail Bike-image.jpgPlease Help! Weight Weenie on a Trail Bike-image_1.jpgPlease Help! Weight Weenie on a Trail Bike-image_2.jpg

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by CuddlyToast View Post
    Well, here is the (almost) final build. Bike comes in at 22.01 lbs. Still needs black valve stems, and the black rockshox stickers i had made.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	884706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	884707Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	884708
    What's your bottom bracket? The new XTR weighs only 73 g (on my precision scale).

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    sick bike! You can still drop some fat on that stem and handlebar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm pretty sure XTR BB wont be compatible, because the Raceface cranks are a 30mm width.

Which Bars were you thinking of? The stem is a de-badged new ultimate stem, i don't know if i could have done any lighter in that size. Just under 90g, for a 70mm length.

I'm thinking the only real way to lose weight will be suspension, but that'll be a year+ off until something gets released (in black, of course )

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have Carver rotors, which I like a lot (NOT the Titanium, which I think stink). I didn't realize your stem was that light, that's killer! My Selle Italia seat is 130g, but that's a lot of coin for 60g.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CuddlyToast View Post

Someone on the Bronson thread swapped out their chain stay protector for a lighter neoprine one.

Santa Cruz Bronson picture thread

I also saw someone who went with lighter skewers but could not find the post.

Don't know if that will give you your 29g.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    There are a lot of people only running 3 bolts per rotor, even for DH. Unfortunately, I see that you are using Ti already, and that might be getting a little squirrly, but that would get you 24g savings and the other 5g could easily be "tuned" off of some other, non critical, parts with a dremel. Do you have an aluminum headset preload bolt in your top cap yet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Forgot to mention...sick bike dude!!! A weight weenie 5010 build is one part of my dream quiver!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hey Thanks!

Yes, Sam Hill was famous for only 3 rotors bolts back in the day. I feel if I'm not going to skimp on lighter brakes (formula *cough*), I might as well not skimp on the rotor bolts

After looking at carbon rims, it looks like there will actually be a weight penalty on each rim, so i don't think i can make it sub 22 with carbon hoops....maybe keep the weight gain to break even with areolite spokes.

I hear ya on the light axles, my only problem is the cost/availablitly. Europeans love that kind of thing, but its super expensive to get my hands on them.

I am currently using an aluminum bolt in the headset, but with an absolute black stem-cap combo, i can save a decent bit of weight.