mtbr member

New question here. please help my build

hey, I've been riding a trek 8500 for about a year, and am pretty happy with the ride, I just wish I could get it lighter.... Where are the critical areas that I should focus on lightening up... Should I upgrade cockpit items, or save up and get lighter wheels, etc...

Frame: Trek 04 8500
    Fork: Fox RL80 (I am reluctant to change, as I love the FOX.
    Stem Bontrager Race Lite
    Bar Bontrager Race Lite
    Controls XT Dual COntrol
    Standard Bonty grips
    Seatpost Bontrager Race
    Saddle San Marco Aspide fx peperoncini (HOT )
    Crank XT '04
    Pedals SPD-520's
    XT f. and r. derailleur and chain
    XT disc brakes
    Bontrager Race disc wheels, with Bontrager super x tire
    2 trek alloy bottle cages
    cateye enduro cyclocomputer
    cateye 500 light
    ALL STANDARD bolts
    chengshin cheap tubes

= ~24-26 lbs

what can I do to lighten this baby up, but keeping the parts durable... I have thought about possible a new wheelset, as the rear hub has been giving me troubles, any recommentations?
    ---(cheap, light, strong)---
    pick two...

I choose all 3!!!

mtbr member
    rotating weight is the best place to take weight off, simple physics and all that.

i believe those bontrager tires are fairly heavy, not sure. lots of possibilities in the 450 gram range. by far the best weight saving upgrade you can make being cost effective.

if you want to bother with it, a stan's kit will take off weight and will also give you the benefits of tubeless. if not, extra light tubes will save a few grams at a nominal cost over regular tubes.

depending on what you can find on wheel deals, and how much you're looking to spend (i just spent a lot on stans olympic disc tied to chris king hubs, my friend just got 717 disc rims tied to xtr centerlock for about half the price on ebay, both new)

other rotating weight-eggbeaters can save a couple hundred grams, cassette is less important but still there (i don't see it listed)

don't bother with bolts at the moment, weight savings are nominal for the price

foam grips are cheap if you really want to go nuts

i don't know specific weights, and am too lazy to look em up, but the bonty stuff ain't bad, and would perhaps be a considerable price for the weight you save (bar, stem, seatpost in particular)

and definetley keep the fox

mtbr member
    about that stans olympic disc with kings.... that must be killer.... is it stiff and light, or a little flexy.... what would the total weights for f. and r. rims, spokes, and hubs be... Are they tubeless compatible???
    pick two...

I choose all 3!!!

mtbr member
    complete build is:
    ck iso disc hubs
    stans olympic rims
    dt swiss revolution (?) 1.8/1.5/1.8 spokes 32 count each wheel
    2 cross front wheel, 3 cross drive 2 cross non-drive rear wheel

total weight (weighed on scale at home) with rim strips and tubeless valves is 1450 grams.

these rims strips are the yellow ones stan includes with his wheels now, they are tubeless ready (do not require the additional rubber rim strip he sells) as long as you use sealant.

i'm building my bike now, so i can't tell you about the performance. but my god they're light, and even if the rims don't last the hubs will last forever.

mtbr member
    post a review when you've used them a little more... I'm really interested in your exact setup. Also, how much did it cost you? and why did you decide to go with those different spoke configs instead of just 3 cross everywhere. Everyone is always saying how 3 cross is so much stronger, is there anything BAD about this crossing?
    pick two...

I choose all 3!!!

mtbr member
    wheelset cost 600 and change, can't remember exactly, know it was below 650.

wheelset was built by stan himself (or someone in the shop), it's made with 2 cross because the spokes are shorter and therefore lighter. it's the major advantage of 2 cross. i have no problem with it b/c i feel 2 cross is enough to handle the stresses placed on the wheelset from disc brakes, hits, etc (i'm a strict xc rider/racer obviously) but if you feel funny about going 2 cross then just go 3

my current build list is as follows:

Model 2005 Titus Racer X 100

Bottom Bracket Shimano XTR 960 outboard bearing cups
    Brake Levers Hayes El Camino
    Rear Brakes Hayes El Camino
    Front Brakes Hayes El Camino
    Cables Avid Flack Jacket
    Cassette Shimano XTR 960 11-32 Cassette
    Chain Sram PC99 Hollowpin
    Crankset Shimano XTR 960 22-32-42
    -Arms stock
    -Crank Bolts stock
    -Ring Bolts stock
    -Inner Ring stock
    -Middle Ring stock
    -Outer Ring stock
    Derailleur (Front) Sram X-Generation
    Derailleur (Rear) Sram X.O
    Fork Fox 100X
    Frame 05 Titus Racer X 100
    Grips Sram stock
    Handlebar Ritchey WCS Oversize
    Headset Ritchey WCS
    Headset Bolts/Caps Ritchey
    Headset Spacers w/e i find
    Pedals Crank Bros Eggbeater Triple Ti
    Quick Releases Salsa steel
    Seat Binder Titus stock
    Saddle Selle Italia SLR Ti Rails
    Seatpost Ritchey WCS Carbon
    Shifters Sram X.O
    Stem Ritchey WCS Oversize
    Tire (Front) Kenda Karma
    Tire (Rear) Kenda Karma
    Tubes Stan's Sealant
    Wheelset
    -Hubs Chris King ISO
    -Spokes DT Revolution 1.8/1.5/1.8
    -Nipples Alloy
    -Rims Stan's Olympic Disc
    -Valve Cores stock

list is currently still a little fluid, ie brakes (unsure if sponsorship will get us caminos in time for the season, buying martas if it doesn't go through), crank bros (may just go with sl's), tires i will obviously be switching around, those will be my main racers however, uh, might go with stans rotors, kind of doubt it though.

my main goal of this bike was to build a sub-24/23.5 pound bike that will not sacrafice performance to uber-light parts, and that i will still enjoy to ride when i'm not racing

if you'd like a couple pics of the wheels i can snap a few off and post them, and sorry for the confusing spec i couldn't get the excel spreadsheet to work correctly
    Last edited by ctracer01; 01-31-2005 at 03:04 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm going to give road bike bar tape a shot for my grips. They weigh very little and I've got smaller hands and the tape is less thick than most grips. I find the tape on my road bike very comfortable, so I figured I'll give it a shot. Anyone else try this?
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24
    I'm going to give road bike bar tape a shot for my grips. They weigh very little and I've got smaller hands and the tape is less thick than most grips. I find the tape on my road bike very comfortable, so I figured I'll give it a shot. Anyone else try this?
    yes..i have that set up on my mtb bike. it is very comfortable and it abosorbs sweat...awsome! but i have mine wrapped around 2 times for more comfort,..

peace
    JF2 Racing!

mtbr member
    how much weight would going 2 cross save?
    pick two...

I choose all 3!!!

mtbr member

i dunno..

i am not sure how much it weighed...i used some blue serfas bar tape...roughly about 1 roll for 2 cross on both grips...
    JF2 Racing!

mtbr member
    and please, post some of those pics, I bet those wheels must look HOOTT, how much do they weight approx. Is it less than 1800 for both?
    pick two...

I choose all 3!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by I Like Bikes
    i am not sure how much it weighed...i used some blue serfas bar tape...roughly about 1 roll for 2 cross on both grips...
    haha, I was talking about the 2 cross in the wheels, sorry, I am sure a little cloth doesn't weight significantly....

How much weight does it save going 2 cross compared to 3 cross?
    pick two...

I choose all 3!!!

mtbr member
    weight is 1450 for both wheels, includes rim strips and valve cores

first pic is front wheel, second shows rim shape, third outlines how low the rim wall is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Olympic Disc's

Quote Originally Posted by moose8500
    about that stans olympic disc with kings.... that must be killer.... is it stiff and light, or a little flexy.... what would the total weights for f. and r. rims, spokes, and hubs be... Are they tubeless compatible???
    stan's olympic disc / Hugi 240s 6 bolt disc hubs/ DT Revolution 15/17 (1.8/1.5mm) spokes
    w / Alun Nipples 645 grams front / 765 grams rear Total 1410 grams light stiff and you can air up Non UST tires easy with a hand pump and that weight include Stan's new light weight rim strip 33g This is a great wheel set !

mtbr member
    niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

i went w/ ck for the reliability, i plan to rebuild these on other rims as time goes on.

adds a little weight over hugi but oh well

mtbr member
    is there anything BAD about these rims? is that low wall a good thing? I have heard about more tire out....

I was not truly thinking about such a big purchase but these rims are starting to look mighty good, and if noone says anything bad about them. Do they make them in black? and how would they compare to my Bonty' Race discs??
    pick two...

I choose all 3!!!

Trying to find Flow
    my main goal of this bike was to build a sub-24/23.5 pound bike that will not sacrafice performance to uber-light parts, and that i will still enjoy to ride when i'm not racing

Yeah, but did you actually reach your goal? I have the same build goals (Racer X 100's even on my short list) and I'm just not sure I can get below 24 with disc brakes and a Fox fork.

mtbr member
    don't know if i will or not, i haven't actually bought everything so far, just wheels, frame(which i haven't received) derrailleurs, chain, saddle. i'm waiting for sponsorship orders for everything else.

but, with a mix of claimed weights, weightweenies.com weights, and my own personal scale i find that my build is coming out pretty accurate so far. i'm not sure how heavy the el caminos are but they can't be horrible.

and yes they come in black, as the pics i posted are of black rims... www.notubes.com