Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: PG990 cassette

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070

    PG990 cassette

    Hi,

    Does anyone know what the weight of the PG990 upper block is? You have 5 cogs fixed to the alloy carrier - just this bit on its own. Im thinking this combined with 4 Titanium lower cogs would work out around the same weight as XTR?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,459
    11-32 is 209.6g

    A Shimano XT is lighter at 191.3g

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    Titanium cogs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    Hi,

    Does anyone know what the weight of the PG990 upper block is? You have 5 cogs fixed to the alloy carrier - just this bit on its own. Im thinking this combined with 4 Titanium lower cogs would work out around the same weight as XTR?
    i don't have the detailed PG990 weight but here's such a tuning performed on the actual 11-32 XTR cassette:

    XTR Cassette 11-32: 223g
    XTR - 5 lower cogs (steel)+aluminium spacers+lockring: 89g
    Titanium - 5 lower cogs+plastic spacers+lockring: 50g
    tuned XTR Cassette with lower cogs out of titanium: 189g
    just for comparison rasons: Full-Titanium 11-32 Cassette: 167g

    so on the XTR the difference of those 5 lowest cogs is 34g. Just take note that on this example the 11t titanium cog and plastic spacers are already worth 9g. So with regular aluminium spacers and a standard steel 11t the savings would only be 25g. So do the math with the numbers provided by petercarm: 209g + ca.40g for 4 titanium cogs+plastic spacers+lockring= ca. 250g. with standard aluminium spacers and steel 11t we might look at 260g....heavy!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nino; 10-06-2008 at 06:03 AM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    I had another thought, on the 990 they use the solid alloy spider, i bet you could get a drill and put a few holes in it...

    Not entirely sure if i can be bothered though. I saw those Red Titanium cassette's elsewhere but i didn't know you could get them in 11-32 i thought it was 11.34 only. So that's certainly interresting as it's Red and exceptionally light.

    *** Now i don't want to get into arguments and have people winging*** But what's that cassette like? I know Recon made a MK2 cassette that shifted better as the first ones weren't great.

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    drilling holes...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    I had another thought, on the 990 they use the solid alloy spider, i bet you could get a drill and put a few holes in it...

    Not entirely sure if i can be bothered though. I saw those Red Titanium cassette's elsewhere but i didn't know you could get them in 11-32 i thought it was 11.34 only. So that's certainly interresting as it's Red and exceptionally light.

    *** Now i don't want to get into arguments and have people winging*** But what's that cassette like? I know Recon made a MK2 cassette that shifted better as the first ones weren't great.
    forget about drilling holes! this saves almost nothing and will look bad unless you are a skilled mechanic with appropriate tools.just to give poeple an idea i always like to compare with let's say 1cm of aluminium a-head spacers.those weigh about 6g if i'm right so you get an idea of how many holes you will have to drill to save as much weight...

    Titanium cassette: correct - that's the 2nd generation and also got used by Sauser to win the worlds.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    That's true i suppose. It would need to be some BIG holes lol.

    Nino do you have any more pics of that Red casette?

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    not here...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    That's true i suppose. It would need to be some BIG holes lol.

    Nino do you have any more pics of that Red casette?
    yes i do but not in here as this doesn't belong in this thread!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    Ok.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    forget about drilling holes! this saves almost nothing and will look bad unless you are a skilled mechanic with appropriate tools.just to give poeple an idea i always like to compare with let's say 1cm of aluminium a-head spacers.those weigh about 6g if i'm right so you get an idea of how many holes you will have to drill to save as much weight...

    Titanium cassette: correct - that's the 2nd generation and also got used by Sauser to win the worlds.
    sauser just commented in the latest MBA where his bike is profiled that the cassette
    doesn't shift that well but it is light.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    I think Sausser has the Mk1 cassette's. They now have mk2 's which i belive are a bit better.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    984
    he gave the name of the cassette as "leiktech" or something to that effect, i don't have
    the article here with me.

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody
    sauser just commented in the latest MBA where his bike is profiled that the cassette
    doesn't shift that well but it is light.
    sorry - but a Pro like him won't spec a cassette if it won't shift good enough!!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    sorry - but a Pro like him won't spec a cassette if it won't shift good enough!!
    lets face it, we all know it isnt going to shift like a shimano. I think that is more or less
    what he is saying. he didn't say it wont shift.

  14. #14
    Go faster!
    Reputation: sergio_pt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,077
    were do you get the titanium cogs to tune the cassete?
    can I get them separately?

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    well...

    Quote Originally Posted by peabody
    lets face it, we all know it isnt going to shift like a shimano. I think that is more or less
    what he is saying. he didn't say it wont shift.
    let's face it: a sponsored rider like him CAN'T/WON'T tell you that a product from another source than his sponsors is doing as good or better...

    again: he wouldn't use a cassette that would have bad shifting - no way !
    Last edited by nino; 10-07-2008 at 12:50 AM.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    Aren't the ramps though just the Shimano Hyperglide technology??

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    let's face it: a sponsored rider like him CAN'T/WON'T tell you that a product from another source than his sponsors is doing as good or better...

    again: he wouldn't use a cassette that would have bad shifting - no way !
    he doesnt have a drivetrain sponsor, uses what he wants. mixes sram with shimano.
    i have seen him with sram cassettes and shimano, uses 1 of each on derailleurs,
    picks his own chain, uses sram shifters. again he didn't say it didn't shift, just not
    as good as others........which i can believe. you can reverse engineer a shimano cassette
    all you want, but it will never be exact because you don't know the starting point and the
    tolerances. plus the chain and cassette aren't designed together to mesh together.

  18. #18
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    oh boy...

    Quote Originally Posted by peabody
    he doesnt have a drivetrain sponsor, uses what he wants. mixes sram with shimano.
    i have seen him with sram cassettes and shimano, uses 1 of each on derailleurs,
    picks his own chain, uses sram shifters. again he didn't say it didn't shift, just not
    as good as others........which i can believe. you can reverse engineer a shimano cassette
    all you want, but it will never be exact because you don't know the starting point and the
    tolerances. plus the chain and cassette aren't designed together to mesh together.
    anyway - i am still proud that he choose the titanium cassette over Shimano and SRAM for such an important event. it can't be that bad then

  19. #19
    Legend
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,287
    Maybe his real cassette bent in a bad fall during practice and all he could get was the Ti one that someone was taking off because it shifted like arse.

    Just saying, sometimes compromises have to be made when the race is in 5 minutes.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hand/of/Midas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,676
    Quote Originally Posted by ettore
    Maybe his real cassette bent in a bad fall during practice and all he could get was the Ti one that someone was taking off because it shifted like arse.

    Just saying, sometimes compromises have to be made when the race is in 5 minutes.

    no, first off ive never seen a cassette bend, second christoph sauser is a huge WW,he even has his personal frames custom made without clearcoat over the carbon to save grams.

    he has two bikes(at least) he has a training bike with pretty standard high end parts, and a race only bike that has alot of very expensive light parts, like the recon cassette, ax lightness post, and so on.

  21. #21
    Legend
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,287
    Really? You've never seen a bent cassette ? It's pretty rare, admittedly, but it happens. Anyhow, it was just a hypothesis, no need to get your underwear in a bunch.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.