xc racer wannabe

pazzaz stem has been defeated

the sette Venn stem is 140 grams and it costs $12 bucks alone, or $20 with a 160gm handlebar: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/127...ntain-Stem.htm

looks like the 140 gram pazzaz has been succeeded by the pricepoint venn.

pp also has their edge stem for $25 bucks that weighs like 128 grams. as well as an apx seatpost that at 400mm weighs 255 grams for $20 bucks.

i just bought the seatpost and stem.handlebar combo for $40 total and will save almost a half a pound! was thinking about getting even lighter components, but i'd have to pay twice as much for about 30 more grams. not worth it to a poor boy like myself

College
    Jun 2004
    Nice find, now we just need someone to verify the weight

ballbuster

Dang. they used to have....

Quote Originally Posted by jonwebah
    the sette Venn stem is 140 grams and it costs $12 bucks alone, or $20 with a 160gm handlebar: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/127...ntain-Stem.htm

pp also has their edge stem for $25 bucks that weighs like 128 grams. as well as an apx seatpost that at 400mm weighs 255 grams for $20 bucks.

i just bought the seatpost and stem.handlebar combo for $40 total and will save almost a half a pound! was thinking about getting even lighter components, but i'd have to pay twice as much for about 30 more grams. not worth it to a poor boy like myself
    ... a 20 degree rise version of that stem, and I waited too long to jump on it.

My headtube is super short on my bike in addition to being an IS headset, and I ran an 8 degree stem for a while on it, but it was just way too low. I had a 4.5" drop from seat to bars, and had to fix that. I was getting nasty kinks in my neck.

I ended up with a Titec DH stem (210 grams) with a 25 degree rise 105mm, that brought it back up to a 3" drop between seat and bars, which is more tolerable. I'd do riser bars, but that would put me back where I started, weight wise.

Of course, this all means nothing if it's a noodle. I gotta have a reasonably stiff stem. If somebody gets one, please give us some feedback on how it performs, real weights, etc?

xc racer wannabe
    yeah i bought it -- i'll try to get back to you with the verified weights -- i figure even if it's 10 grams more for the price it's hard to beat.

bang
    Quote Originally Posted by jonwebah

well, the sette edge stem is quoted at 126g, so i'd assume that stem is lighter than the venn stem at all sizes. the stem weighed is not stated so i assume that both stems weighed were the 90mm (shortest) length. looking at weight weenies, the 90mm sette edge stem is verified at 134g whereas the 100mm pazzaz is verified at 135g. i'd assume that the 90mm pazzaz stem would be lighter than that. therefor the pazzaz stem should be lighter than the sette venn stem.

also, it should be noted that the venn stem is made of 6061aluminum alloy while the edge and pazzaz are made of 2014. i looked at the properties of these alloys, and 2014 has a higher tensile strength, yeild strength, hardness value, shear strength and fatigue strength. in other words it seems to be a tougher alloy. kinda like how 7075 is a tougher alloy than 2014.

geez, all this for a few grams and a fistful of pocket change lol. does anyone know who makes sette stuff? those stems look a lot like ritchey stems.

ballbuster

They probably are....

and they look like the Performace Bike stems, too.

xc racer wannabe
    a question i've always had, though, is how much variation is there in grams from one 'identical' component to the next. naturally it's impossible to replicate thousands of these things perfectly.

it was more than a few grams for me, considering my current stem and handlebars come in at 220 a piece (though they're good and reliable), and my seatpost comes in at 330 grams for a 350mm long seatpost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... a 20 degree rise version of that stem, and I waited too long to jump on it.

My headtube is super short on my bike in addition to being an IS headset, and I ran an 8 degree stem for a while on it, but it was just way too low. I had a 4.5" drop from seat to bars, and had to fix that. I was getting nasty kinks in my neck.

I ended up with a Titec DH stem (210 grams) with a 25 degree rise 105mm, that brought it back up to a 3" drop between seat and bars, which is more tolerable. I'd do riser bars, but that would put me back where I started, weight wise.

Of course, this all means nothing if it's a noodle. I gotta have a reasonably stiff stem. If somebody gets one, please give us some feedback on how it performs, real weights, etc?
    You could go with a Syntace Superforce, they come in 6 degree and 20 degree. The claimed weights don't specify the angle, only the length. The 105 is claimed at 159g and the 120 is claimed at 169g. I have a 120x6 degree that is 178g. $75 from light-bikes.com, and you can drop another 10g for $25 with the ti bolt kit. It's a freeride / downhill stem, so stiffness isn't really an issue.

What bar are you using? There are a few light risers out there. The Maxm MX5 is 143g, and the Extralite Ultrapush is 140g.
    Attached Images Attached Images

strip it down

sette edge 110mm = 144grams

on a myweigh digital
    There's nothing like having the world under your wheels......

Just passing through....

Also for reference

My Pazzaz 120 mm weighs 147 g's.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    mine showed 127g..on my pocketscale 90mm
    Attached Images Attached Images

College
    Jun 2004
    Change to Titanium and Dremel 2 holes like the f99 and that sucker will be light

ballbuster

nice...

... but dropping $75 on dropping 40 grams doesn't sound like a good deal in my particular case. It sure is purdy, tho.

I'm running a Performance carbon flat bar. I dunno real weight, but it's pretty dang light. I think claimed weight is 135g. It was significantly lighter than my Zoom carbon flat bar.