the wrench

pazzaz reliability

i had just ordered a pazaz flatbar 158g claimes and theit stem 140g claimed to replace my existing rf bar and stem. but what i really want to know is how strong they really are. cause the clamping area for the steer tube on the stem is very thin and a a $30 pazzaz bar weighs the same as an $80 easton bar. i know that the easton stuff can be trusted but what about the pazaz stuff? btw i am 175lbs and ride a little aggressively. what i really want to know is if there have been any catastrophic failures of pazzaz products that i should know about.

the wrench
    just as an update i had just switched my bars and when i weighed them the race face riser was 289g from its listes 225g and the new pazzaz bar weighs in at 157g. wow thats almost a third of a pound. cant wait till my pazzaz stem comes in.

Maromero

Pazzaz stem

Can't speak of the bar, but I had a Pazzaz stem replacing a Thompson and I couldn't notice any difference in stiffness, just on weight. I replaced it with a Syntace just for the sake of more weight savings, not that I didn't trust it. Maybe the best bang for the bucks.

ballbuster

Just ordered...

Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje
    Can't speak of the bar, but I had a Pazzaz stem replacing a Thompson and I couldn't notice any difference in stiffness, just on weight. I replaced it with a Syntace just for the sake of more weight savings, not that I didn't trust it. Maybe the best bang for the bucks.
    One of those Sette Edge 126g stems. In hindsight, probably a bad move, but it was so dang cheap I figured it was worth a try. It looked pretty chubby and has a 4 bolt cap. I don't ride that hard, but I do weigh 195#.

I also ordered one of those Sette ~250g seatposts. I'm looking to drop another 1/4 to 1/2 pound off my bike right there. They are the wrong color, tho. I was hoping for silver.

We'll see what happens, I guess.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    One of those Sette Edge 126g stems. In hindsight, probably a bad move, but it was so dang cheap I figured it was worth a try. It looked pretty chubby and has a 4 bolt cap. I don't ride that hard, but I do weigh 195#.

I also ordered one of those Sette ~250g seatposts. I'm looking to drop another 1/4 to 1/2 pound off my bike right there. They are the wrong color, tho. I was hoping for silver.

We'll see what happens, I guess.

When you get that stem make sure to post the actual weight. Thanks.
    Herro prease

mtbr member

sette edge stem

i have been using the sette edge stem for little less than a year, mated with easton ct2 (ec70) bars it has worked fine, i have never worried about its durablity, the bar clamp did open up on me once however, probally b/c i didnt tighten it down correctly, but ever since, no problems. not sure of the "real" weight though, but it was noticably lighter than my old syncros.

xc racer wannabe
    yeah i'm using sette components right now. the vector flat handlebar ~160gm and the venn stem ~140gm. i got them in a combo deal for $20. that's pretty f*cking good considering my last stem and bars weighed 220 and 210 respectively. i also am using that seatpost. all of the components seem rock solid and i'm very pleased with the stiffness of the stem and bars. i just need to cut down that longass seatpost now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I have three of the seatposts and two of the stems. No problems, they feel as stiff as my Thomson stuff. I am a 225 pound clyde, so I would probably notice.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

xc racer wannabe
    it really doesn't make sense to me to pay for brand name components (as long as they're not patented or otherwise technologically superior). any comments?

ballbuster

I don't have a proper scale

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    When you get that stem make sure to post the actual weight. Thanks.
    In only have one of those $8 cruddy postage mechanical scales, and I know it's way off. Maybe I'll sneak it into the local post office and use thier scale.