mtbr member

Paul's levers and foam grips...

I went and did it. I replaced my ODI grips with foam, and my Avid levers with Pauls.

First off, I noticed the pauls levers don't have return springs, and they have far less leverage than my Avids did (adjusted to higher leverage). This is fine and all, I'll have to see how much this affects braking performance. Now the higher leverage Vuelta arms are looking pretty attractive. As far as the return springs go, I had to up the spring tension on my arms to make them retrun positively (and quickly), so I have a little more cable drag feeling on the rear brake. The front brake feels fine.

Second, how do you secure foam grips? I really dug the ODI's 'cause they stayed put. I put the foam grips on last night and they still move around if I want them to. They are Johar grips. Here's a pretty bad picture.
    Last edited by Ultra Magnus; 07-29-2009 at 11:09 AM.
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    If extra hold hair spray doesn't work, use spray paint.

The later is the extreme.

Shane

mtbr member
    How do you apply it? Do you spray it onto the bar and slide the grip on while it's still wet?

6x7=Dont Panic!
    If you ride with gloves, use zip ties. Light enough, and they will make it stay put. I just left mine spin a bit. They didnt start spinning for a few months though (pork rinds).
    Herro prease

Down South Yooper

Try 3M

3M makes a foam rubber adhesive spray as well, not sure of the product number, but it's right up there with the hairspray and paint recommendations. In fact, I had better luck with the 3M product than either of the aforementioned.

Plum

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses. I'll start with the hairspray and go from there. They only move a little right now...

mtbr member
    A thought. Slip a road tube over the bar then the grip over that.

mtbr member
    The hair spray seems to be holding. I'll get a couple of rides in on it and see how well it lasts. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've been using hair spray to keep my grips in place for years, including Ritchey foam. I've had no problems doing this.

As far as the levers are concerned, I used Paul's Love levers paired with Paul's Motolight brakes for about 3 years. Worked great. But the Motolight brakes allow you to really jack up the spring rate. Don't know how well it will work with your set up, but good luck. The levers are sweet.

If you've got the cash, consider picking up some Motolights. The combination of the levers and brakes was very powerful, and light. A bit finicky on initial set up, but they settle in just fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Use rubbing alcohol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Kind of gapped out this post.

I like to spray the heck out of the bar slide the grip on and set the bike out in the sun. Ready to ride in no time. I like extra hold Hair Net brand.

For stubborn grips I have used spraypaint. a cheap black of some sort, gotta be more careful and tends to destroy foam when you need to remove it.

Shane