Always Learning

Paul Compact Love Levers with Twist Shift...

I'm looking closely at the new all black Paul Love Levers for 2009. I like the all black look better than the mixed silver/black of older models. I know the lever is 20mm shorter on the compact lever vs. the 2.5, but wondered if anyone here can comment on the compact length working okay with SRAM twist grip shifters for one finger braking. These levers would be used with Avid disc brakes with the one finger method and it looks like if I trim my grips that I will be installing short enough I should be able to reach just fine with the twist shifter, compact Love Lever combination. But, I don't know if this combo works.

Thanks in advance.

BB

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    I'm looking closely at the new all black Paul Love Levers for 2009. I like the all black look better than the mixed silver/black of older models. I know the lever is 20mm shorter on the compact lever vs. the 2.5, but wondered if anyone here can comment on the compact length working okay with SRAM twist grip shifters for one finger braking. These levers would be used with Avid disc brakes with the one finger method and it looks like if I trim my grips that I will be installing short enough I should be able to reach just fine with the twist shifter, compact Love Lever combination. But, I don't know if this combo works.

Thanks in advance.

BB
    I got an answer from Paul Comp. Engineering. The answer is yes, the compact with the SRAM twist shift for one finger braking combination works. I have a pair of the new all black levers on the way....

BB

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    I got an answer from Paul Comp. Engineering. The answer is yes, the compact with the SRAM twist shift for one finger braking combination works. I have a pair of the new all black levers on the way....

BB
    Update: Here are the new 2009 Paul Love Levers on my new JET 9 build that I finished up this weekend....

My Cable Routing

138g caliper (2002 Type N)
    24g pad
    21g CPS bolts/washers
    10g IS bolts
    14g 160/140mm adapter
    62g lever
    92g 160mm rotor
    12g rotor bolts
    28g front housing/cable/ferrules

401g front side

138g caliper (2002 Type N)
    24g pad
    21g CPS bolts/washers
    10g IS bolts
    14g 160/140mm adapter
    62g lever
    60g 140mm rotor
    12g rotor bolts
    54g rear housing/cable/ferrules

395g rear side

JET is DONE!

New Paul Love Levers

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Do you find the lever shape a little harsh for 1 finger? I have them just installed on xtr v's and I'm rather disappointed in the feel. Too wide and too sharp.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by j5ive
    Do you find the lever shape a little harsh for 1 finger? I have them just installed on xtr v's and I'm rather disappointed in the feel. Too wide and too sharp.
    I don't have any time on them outside of doing the build this weekend and trying everything out in short little checks riding around in the living room and kitchen. Yes, you read that right. I was tooling around on the bike in the house while the wife was away.

They felt fine to me in those checks, but that didn't involve any hard, one finger braking on my hard wood floors. I have set the reach up for one finger braking when my hands are out on the foam grips and 2 finger braking if I bring my hands in on the twist shifter grip area. I did not need to do this when I was running 180mm rotors front and rear, but by moving to my XC weight weenie 160mm front and 140mm rear rotor, I want to have the option to use 2 fingers when and if needed. That is working out fine on my other race bike with the same brakes, rotors, twist shifters, grips, but with the Avid Ultimate Levers (which I love!!!).

I'm heading out today for a 90 minute active recovery ride after massive interval sessions this weekend, so I will get a better idea of how the Love Levers feel on the fingers with 1 finger braking.

Edit: I just got back from a 30 minute warm-up ride with my Labrador Retrievers. I find the Love Levers have a very well rounded edge (at least my 2009 model year levers) that is very ergonomic and feels great on my fingers. They are not sharp at all and I was doing some hard one finger braking on steep hills. Then again, I'm using disc brakes so the amount of power needed from the fingers may vary from your experience. Yes, the lever blade is wider than some other brands, but I'm a tall drink of water so bigger is better for those of us riding XL size bikes. Were older model years cut with sharper edges on the lever blade? Mine have a very well rounded edge that feels like most of my other levers on other bikes.

Edit #2: I just got back from 2 1/4 hours out on the trail checking my bike out and put in about 40 minutes of doing intervals. Levers are fine for my fingers and needs. It was wet and muddy, so I was getting some nice rotor squeal. One finger as well as 2 finger braking was dialed in and I look forward to using these levers. Sorry you found them too sharp and wide.

BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 03-09-2009 at 01:23 PM.