Old School Member

Parts recommendations for 2001 Klien Attitude Race frame- little help?

Hey all!

Long time no post- been busy racing road and cross.

Been off the dirt for a while, and had sold the last of my mountain fleet.

This week I saw a nice 20" Klein Attitude Race (washington made!) frame on Ebay with a low $290 price to start. I had always liked the look of them, and their owners always raved- but the frames tended to be uber-pricy.

A couple of wear and tear points and no disc mounts- but otherwise in great shape. I put in the opening bid, figuring I had little chance of winning and went off to ride, do errands ect. Turns out I won the auction! Woot!

Umm, now what?

Looks like V-brakes for sure. Also I weigh 180, and will be doing short races and 1-2 hour rides on rolling Virginia single-track with moderate to tough conditions at times.

I work at a shop part-time, so I can get deals on stuff. I also have some money sitting in Paypal for Ebay and Classifieds fun.

Fork may be the toughest point- as I imagine that frame is set for 80mm travel. I was thinking of adding a bit of weight here such as a Fox RLT80 or F80X.

Pedals will be eggbeaters. Bar will be some sort of carbon flat bar.

Not sure what kind of front derailler is needed- Klein fans?

Believe the seatpost is a 31.6. I want carbon and offset- so I am thinking maybe a MaxM?

I want a light, fast bike that won't fall apart.

Thanks for your advice, thoughts or input-

Coolhand
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

beautiful bike!

nice frame, should definitely build up a nice race xc hardtail! so you don't have another bike with some nice components to swap over? or you just want to build up from scratch?

i recently built from scratch on a limited budget my 99 jamis dragon, 853 steel. bit more compliant and heavy than your klein, but mine's less for racing, more for 2-4 hour mini epics on fun singletrack and fireroad climbs here in so cal.

start with drivetrain... shimano xt/xtr vs. sram, you decide your preference. i've tried sram on other friends' bikes and liked it, but somehow ended up with shimano xtr on my jamis dragon. i run 8 speed so got old xtr combo shift/brake for like $40 on ebay -- they were cheap because they were designed for cantis i found out, but actually work fine with xtr v brakes. they were mussy when using xt v brakes though. xtr rear derallieurs are plentiful on ebay as well. if/when i ever upgrade, i may try full sram. using raceface turbine isis/ fsa ti bb (together $85 on ebay). great combination in price/weight/performance.

you sound like you're leaning towards carbon, then next lp or fsa cranks would work well.

next decide wheelset...xtr/517/717/valiant or hugi/ck if you've got some dough or some nice discounts at your shop. i've used xt, white industries, and have chris king classics on my dragon.

opened the cks up recently after a few months use and cleaned it up with some of their ring lube. really beautiful, simple design. strong and great rep (i'll let you know after i've had them 5-6 years to confirm reliability). got the cks/valiants on ebay for $220.

i recently got a set of dt hugi/217 cheap on ebay as a beater/loaner set for $80. good price and i just wanted to try the hugis with all the variable reviews. haven't put on tires/cassets and ridden them yet, though.

the white industries/217 are on my old hardtail, super light and fast rolling, loud as heck rear hub... makes the cks seem silent in comparison. xt/rhynolite's on the full suspension.

as for fork.. my frame came with a z2 bomb. seemed heavier than i originally wanted but it's a damn good fork. if i were buying new, i'd consider the marathon, fox 80x (bucks!), or manitou black (bargain). or if you're a skinny guy (i'm 6', 180lb) and really care about weight, then sids.

have fun. the little details like seat/saddle, stem/bar/barends/grips will be fun to decide as well. once it's all built up and you dial in positioning, etc. it'll be a blast to ride!

john

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand
    Hey all!

Long time no post- been busy racing road and cross.

Been off the dirt for a while, and had sold the last of my mountain fleet.

This week I saw a nice 20" Klein Attitude Race (washington made!) frame on Ebay with a low $290 price to start. I had always liked the look of them, and their owners always raved- but the frames tended to be uber-pricy.

A couple of wear and tear points and no disc mounts- but otherwise in great shape. I put in the opening bid, figuring I had little chance of winning and went off to ride, do errands ect. Turns out I won the auction! Woot!

Umm, now what?

Looks like V-brakes for sure. Also I weigh 180, and will be doing short races and 1-2 hour rides on rolling Virginia single-track with moderate to tough conditions at times.

I work at a shop part-time, so I can get deals on stuff. I also have some money sitting in Paypal for Ebay and Classifieds fun.

Fork may be the toughest point- as I imagine that frame is set for 80mm travel. I was thinking of adding a bit of weight here such as a Fox RLT80 or F80X.

Believe the seatpost is a 31.6. I want carbon and offset- so I am thinking maybe a MaxM?

I want a light, fast bike that won't fall apart.

Thanks for your advice, thoughts or input-

Coolhand
    ride:: ti hardtail

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

... and if we just ...

Here are my thoughts:

I am using a FOX RLT 80 on my 2003 Attitude and love it!! The fork works well and that year should be able to handle the Axel-To-Crown-Height.
    It might be just a tad tall. On my 98 Pulse Comp the Marathon which is lighty taller by .75mm was ok. Best best is a ManitoŻ Skareb paltinum SPV if the fox is too tall.

Both work vey well and this is what I am using.

34.9mm TP/TS

The post size is 31.6, but carbon won''t due crap on the ride. i tried some and they sucked. get a Moots Ti Lay Back and shim it from 27.2 to 31.6
    Sure the weight is more, but well worth it.
    The stem will take the edge out really nice and rides sweet. I aslo found carbon post seem to slip on a KLEIN. Otherwise the MAXM will fit.

I ride in similar conditions to that area and wanted the same thing. LIGHT and DURABLE!

Here is my ride and you can get some ideas from it: http://light-bikes.com/bikegallery/B...ting.asp?id=39

The bike rides and handles like a dream! Fast, quick and handles tight, rooty singletrack well.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Nice frame. I was thinking I should ahve bid on it myself, if I didnt win an auction for this one already:

I plan on going WW on this bike (with a budget). I'm actually planing on 1x1ing it. I cant wait to see how yours turns out as well. I just love Kleins... Good luck with that build.
    Herro prease

Old School Member
    Thanks for the tips guys- I am trolling Ebay and the Classifieds for the appropriate parts now, although I may have to bike the bullet and order some of the stuff from QBP et al.

Coolhand

Old School Member

BB size for frame? For 2004 XT crank/bb combo

Hi I just won an auction for a new 2004 XT Crank/BB combo. The winner asked me about what size BB I needed, and I am not sure, little help?

Thanks,

Coolhand

Status on Klein project:

Shifters: 2004 SRAM X.0 gripshifters (won on Ebay)
    Crank: 2004 XT Crank/BB combo

Bids out for other stuff right now (someone snipered the X.0 derailler I thought I had locked up last night- argh!!)

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

73mm x

Now on ISIS it's a 113mm or 118 on Octalink.

Not use on the new intergrated stuff. Spacers will come with it though.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

Old School Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    Now on ISIS it's a 113mm or 118 on Octalink.

Not use on the new intergrated stuff. Spacers will come with it though.
    Found an old tech manual spec sheet which showed a 73 x 113 spec'ed ES-70 came with the bike. I emailed off the information.

I like the combined XT Crank/BB it came on my last bike- very stiff and smooth. I looked at the Race Face Duex unit too, but they were really close in real world weight and I got a smoking deal (below QBP price) on the XT. Weighing 180 pounds, having a stiff crank/bb is important.

Is my rear tire flat?

SingleSpeed that Klein!

I built up a Klein Pulse Race this year as a SS. Just loved it. Light as heck and so nimble it was a blast to throw it around the trails. Sold it on Ebay this spring for another project. Did not loose any money thankfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    Nice frame. I was thinking I should ahve bid on it myself, if I didnt win an auction for this one already:
    I plan on going WW on this bike (with a budget). I'm actually planing on 1x1ing it. I cant wait to see how yours turns out as well. I just love Kleins... Good luck with that build.
    Back riding again in Sunny SoCal. Outskirts of Palm Springs.

rubbertoes
    Jan 2004
    [

Have you checked out Bontrager's Carbon Posts? He has 31.6 size with setback clamps in both the X lite and XXX lite versions. There are also three different lengths available.

Old School Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rubbertoes
    [

Have you checked out Bontrager's Carbon Posts? He has 31.6 size with setback clamps in both the X lite and XXX lite versions. There are also three different lengths available.
    Excellent- I will out for those.

Thanks!

Coolhand