Thread: paging Nino

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

paging Nino

if i recall correctly, you have tri-ti spindle that's has smaller q-factor than the original tri-ti. Where did you get that? Thanks in advance.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WAZCO
    if i recall correctly, you have tri-ti spindle that's has smaller q-factor than the original tri-ti. Where did you get that? Thanks in advance.
    not yet...
    i will have the possibility to try out the very short axles pictured below. from what the guy told me they are 12mm shorter than standard which could make my feet rub on the crankarms. we will see. i measured that my axles could be ca. 7mm shorter without having clearance problems.
    from what i have read here you can get 4mm shorter Ti axles directly from Crank Bros. at ca. 100$. mine will be reworked Ritchey Ti spindles i have laying around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

What kind of modification are you doing w/ Ritchey?

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    not yet...
    i will have the possibility to try out the very short axles pictured below. from what the guy told me they are 12mm shorter than standard which could make my feet rub on the crankarms. we will see. i measured that my axles could be ca. 7mm shorter without having clearance problems.
    from what i have read here you can get 4mm shorter Ti axles directly from Crank Bros. at ca. 100$. mine will be reworked Ritchey Ti spindles i have laying around.
    I have some too and would like to know. Thanks again!

banned
    I have some too and would like to know. Thanks again!
    just make them shorter and fit!

mtbr member
    I'm just curious. What are your shoe sizes? I've got good ol' 959's and with my big feet (size 50 Euro, 15 US), I couldn't run anything narrower w/o rubbing my feet on the crankarms.
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Shorter I understand but can

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    just make them shorter and fit!
    put the Ritchey's spindle on the eggs and it would fit? or do have do some milling to get it to fit?

banned

make them FIT!!!

put the Ritchey's spindle on the eggs and it would fit? or do have do some milling to get it to fit?
    no, sure those axles don't fit. you have to mill them to the exact specs of the eggies and make them shorter at the same time.

banned

eggies are wider...

Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    I'm just curious. What are your shoe sizes? I've got good ol' 959's and with my big feet (size 50 Euro, 15 US), I couldn't run anything narrower w/o rubbing my feet on the crankarms.
    they are MUCH wider than other pedals. that's why shortening those axles is been discussed. also on regular SPD cleats you have some side adjustement possible. ca. 3mm to each side which allows you to have your feet farther inward if you like. Thomas Frischknecht even modifies his cleats and shoes to have them to the farthest inward position possible. that's about 4-5mm to the inside on both feet compared to the usual middle position of the cleat. Eggbeaters on the other hand have no cleat adjustement at all. the cleat stays put in that one given position in the middle of the shoe. the pedals themselves are wider, the cleat has no adjustement option....

widths of pedals( distance from crankarm to middle of cleat)
    older Ritchey SPD: 50mm
    Speedplay X-1 Road pedal: 50mm
    Corratec Easy-click: 52mm
    Eggbeater: 56mm

so this shows the Eggbeaters are 12mm wider overall than some older Ritchey pedals. furthermore they have no cleat adjustement so overall the feet are about1.6-2.0cm wider apart than on such Ritchey pedals. that's A LOT!! as i already said when i built my winterbike and installed that integrated XT crankset it immediately felt too wide. coming from my roadbike where the overall Q-factor is 265mm (cranks 165mm+pedals 2x50mm ) to the winterbike with 292mm (cranks 180mm + pedals 2x56mm) it was definitely no good and after just 2 rides i changed it for an older Ritchey WCS crankset which paired with a XT octalink BB has 15mm shorter Q-factor. so half of the width is already cured by going with old-style cranks. the integrated XT are much too wide. now the pedals need to get shorter somewhat to get back my preferred narrow position of the feet.

by the way:
    also Ralph Naef, swiss MTB rider and european champion and 5th at this years olympics, is using short axles on his Eggbeaters as you can see on the picture i took at the last Swisspower race in 2004:
    Attached Images Attached Images