1996 Member
    Jun 2004

Pagin' long term Stan's Notubes users......

I've had Stan's in two bikes now for about 10 months with no problems. Because of the temperature here this summer (90-100) I've been adding sealant every two months via the valve stem. Do I reach a point where I should remove the tires, clean out the gunk, and start over? Or is it OK to just keep addin' and ridin'
    Many thanx
    Bud

mtbr member
    I think since the moisure in the latex is evaporating you aren't really adding much weight by refreshing the sealant in your tires. I've weighed some tires with dried up latex on them, and it only adds a few grams.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOldMan
    I've had Stan's in two bikes now for about 10 months with no problems. Because of the temperature here this summer (90-100) I've been adding sealant every two months via the valve stem. Do I reach a point where I should remove the tires, clean out the gunk, and start over? Or is it OK to just keep addin' and ridin'
    Many thanx
    Bud
    I would. Do a search and there was a guy showing off his "Stan-Booger", I think it was on the Passion forum.Just a ball of dried up latex solution, it weighed 30 grams I think. If you've been adding sealant every 2 months or so, you may want to pull the tire pretty soon and look.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

MTBR Tool

Just wear the tires out!

I'm in a similar boat here - my tires are about 5 rides away from oblivion so I think I'll just hold off until they die. I'm sure I've got at least 20-30g per tire in latex and booger, however I am using homebrew Stan's which may have a greater tendency to booger up.

Complete Bastard
    I always pop the bead and see how much sealant is inside before adding. It doesn't take much more work and it keeps appraised of the current status of the goop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes I would

Iím a little anal, but racing I do not want to take any chances with flats, so I go a little overboard.
    I live in Florida and about every 4 to 6 weeks or if tires start to lose pressure, I deflate the tire, drain the sealant thatís left, clean inside the tire, check for punctures, then and start all over with each tire.
    This works for me, but Iím sure not everyone needs or wants this much extra work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cleaning out latex?

When you clean out a tire, do you use any sort of solvent or just soap and water.

I've been swapping a race set of tires and training set, and found it slightly harder to get the tires to mount when there is some dried latex near the bead.