Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ot: Roflol!

Max
    Velodramatic

Idea! Ot: Roflol!

look at that: how the heck is that supposed to work? will future riders start riding backwards?

those guys should stick with making watches...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

Max
    Velodramatic
    and how would you mount the cranks?

mtbr member
    What language is that? Anyone care to translate? Is it real or some wild PS work? I can't figure how the BB mounts, and you'd need some sort of reversing gearing in the hub for that to work.

Pretend for a minute that it did work well, so then the first time you bashed your big ring on a rock you trash for front deraileur? If I had a rear deraileur for every time my chainring struck a rock I'd be making a lot of $$ on ebay.
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

Max
    Velodramatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary
    It's Italian (I think). The bb mounts just as it does today, the crank is mounted to the ring, but still spins on a centered axis.
    As for the rotation, I hope the article refers to freewheeling, I couldn't imagine pedalling backwards.
    a friend of mine posted it on another forum. he says it aint fake. i dont think the cranks are attached to the chainrings, cuz otherwise it wouldnt explain why the cranks spin in opposite direction of the rings. dunno how it is mounted though.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    What language is that? Anyone care to translate?
    Here's a babel fish translation of the lower text. It's almost as funny as the bike.

"cranks and Chainwheel placed on two different fulcrums and connected between they from a pair of gears would have like consequence the counter-clockwise spin of the chain and the raised positioning of the exposed organs of transmission."
    [SIZE=1]"The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."[/SIZE]

Bodhisattva
    Guys,
    what part of this aren't you getting? The simply routed the RD over the wheel so its less likely to get impacted and counteracted this with interdigitating cogs on the crankarm & spider. No biggie really.
    Life....the original terminal illness

bonkin' clyde

nice

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    look at that: how the heck is that supposed to work? will future riders start riding backwards?

those guys should stick with making watches...
    If only the makers were actually standing up straight instead of upside down, maybe that wouldn't have happened....since when did the italians start doing yoga when designing???
    My bed comforts my body. Sleep comforts my mind. The trail comforts my soul. And without a soul, what is a body anyway?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    all the crazy BB setups in the world are useless when you aint got no spokes.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Is it that common to break rear derailleur? I only did it ones on a walmart bike that wasnt set up right to begin with. Ive only seen it happen once. I think it would be cheaper to just be replacing the rear derailleur if you are lucky enough to break one, than to pay for that monstrosity which probably costs way too much.
    Herro prease

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004

Won't work

How does the rear hub translate a spin in the wrong direction (counterclockwise) to clockwise? And if it goes the normal direction, that derailler is always pulled forward and is useless, you'll still have chain sag on the bottom of the chainstay

Max
    Velodramatic
    as i said, you gotta ride backwards just like hans rey did *lol*

Bodhisattva
    Unless there is another reciprocal cog which interacts with the cassettes which isn't depicted.
    I'm not saying it's a good idea, but it could work.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member

Whoa...

From what I can tell the crank arm meshes with a cog at the end of the BB. There`s no way that arm would hold to a single chainring through the forces of peddling. Is there a solid spindle through ALL three chainrings??? No way.

Perhaps there is a solid "second" BB spindle that runs parrellel and meshes to the other side also. It could be done.

I think I`ll turn my swing arm upside down and give it a try. lol.

MaL*size=
    if you look at the picture, that bike design is very very stupid, its just impossible to build.

nice posting.

what do you think about the spanish rotor crank arms?

http://www.rotorbike.com/

Ty
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Guys,
    what part of this aren't you getting? The simply routed the RD over the wheel so its less likely to get impacted and counteracted this with interdigitating cogs on the crankarm & spider. No biggie really.
    WAIT!!!!!!....UPDATE just been playing around in Lightwave (3D software) and this design is IMPOSSIBLE, the two small cogs interfacing the crank arm with the chain ring would have to turn against each other (which is impossible!)
    Last edited by Ty; 12-16-2004 at 09:20 PM.

Cassoulet forever !
    It is possible:

Imagine that there is a fulcrum comming from the rings axis going down and holding the crank axle.
    So this can work, but the bb axis is split, wich is no good for the rigidity/strengh of this part.

And for the whole thing to work, you need to invert the rotation direction inside the rear hub.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

Cassoulet forever !
    By the way, with this design, the chain tension is in the low part of the chain, so the suspension pivot has to be lower than the BB.
    As it is, this thing would biopace a lot !
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Not impossible.......it will work with enough funding from Congress

Quote Originally Posted by Ty
    WAIT!!!!!!....UPDATE just been playing around in Lightwave (3D software) and this design is IMPOSSIBLE, the two small cogs interfacing the crank arm with the chain ring would have to turn against each other (which is impossible!)
    You are just biased against responsible improvements in bicycling. No doubt you are a shill for one of the big bike companies and want to keep real improvement away from the people.

Why this idea is just as workable as the hydrogen car, which all the enviromentalists are promoting....
    Never mind that the making of the hydrogen takes far more power than using either the oil directly or using the electricity directly.......
    NO, the enviromentalists push ideas like this double jointed crank to congress and get funding......avoiding how they are going to make the power that needs to be used to make the hydrogen... Math and physics.......who needs them!!

I tell you........take this bike design to either the congress, the state legislature (especially in California), or the board of Supervisors (especially in San Francisco), back it up with special interest groups..(especially ones with signs).......attach a slogan and YOU WILL get most of the legislative group to vote for it.....

Current examples............Homeland Security........spend tens of billions to beef up airport security........while over 3 million people illegally walk across the border every year...
    Closely inspect the carry on luggage.........while you fill up the belly of the plane with tons of uninspected cargo....

YES........This double jointed upside down drive train makes every bit as much sense as those ideas, on which we spend 40-50-100 billion every year.

Max
    Velodramatic
    even after several undercover reporters have proven how ineffective that whole homeland security thing is

Recovering couch patato
    In stead of bolting the yellow cog to the chainrings, bolt it to a plate (but still turning freely) that also sits under the purple cog, and is stuck to immovably. Voila!
    Not stiff by far of course, it can be made to work that way.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering couch patato
    If all's attached as I understand it, the pedal path would be elliptical, long axis NW/SE. This may actually offer loads of extra torque at the most effcient part of the stroke, very little strength is used to move the pedals forward and aft.
    Hmmm, it's going to feel weird, but when gotten to work, actually make you faster and stronger...
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Ty
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR
    It is possible:

Imagine that there is a fulcrum comming from the rings axis going down and holding the crank axle.
    So this can work, but the bb axis is split, wich is no good for the rigidity/strengh of this part.

And for the whole thing to work, you need to invert the rotation direction inside the rear hub.

Ahh!!! I see, like this? (see attached image) the fulcrum is the blue rectangle holding the cogs together.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    If all's attached as I understand it, the pedal path would be elliptical, long axis NW/SE
    Like this the pedal path would be circular.

Ty

Max
    Velodramatic
    nice graphics, good work! but that doesnt explain the direction the rider goes while pedaling.... and that system would really really lack stiffness

What Would Happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    all the crazy BB setups in the world are useless when you aint got no spokes.
    Hahahah, BAM! Cop that, you crazy Italians!

Recovering couch patato
    Hmmm, looks very complicated to make it that way, Ty. would make new XTR cranks look like low-end and easy to make. Stiffness indeed seems like the hardest to get ride.
    The non-circular thing could help overcome some imperfections such as stiffness and weight, though.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast