banned

original Crossmax rim weight???

has anyone the weight of the original, NON UST Crossmax wheelsets rims?

they are from ca. '98 and had a very box-shaped rim. front 26 hole, rear 28 holes and ceramic coating.

thanks

Max
    Velodramatic
    hehe, i've seen them on ebay too my best friend wants them. i weighed an old crossmax rim and it was pretty heavy: ~460g from what i can remember. the complete front wheel weighed around 685g.

note that no tubeless kit will fit cuz the rim bed is so oddly shaped

and i suppose you could get some rims directly from mavic

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

banned

650g...

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    hehe, i've seen them on ebay too my best friend wants them. i weighed an old crossmax rim and it was pretty heavy: ~460g from what i can remember. the complete front wheel weighed around 685g.

i remember the wheels weights since i had them back then:
    650+850g.
    no , i haven't seen those rims on Ebay. i just have the opportunity to get these rims from Mavic direct and i thought i remebered someone posting the weights. i thought it was about 380-400g?

banned

here's the link

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    i remember the wheels weights since i had them back then:
    650+850g.
    no , i haven't seen those rims on Ebay. i just have the opportunity to get these rims from Mavic direct and i thought i remebered someone posting the weights. i thought it was about 380-400g?
    i just had a look at Ebay and found that auction you mentioned:
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...122088850&rd=1

but i could get them cheaper...

Recovering couch patato
    I have a set, bought in march '97. 1480 for the set, 650/830 or 630/850, can't remember. Wrecked the rear hub, gave up on it. Front still rides.
    The LBS got a replacement in once, it was 420g. When the wheels hit the market first, rumor said the rims were 370g each. As they were 26/28g with pretty normal spokes, and the Hubs being as flimsy looking as they are to me, not really a surprise that most of the weight was in the rims.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

nightriding is fun !

M40101 is the part #

they are from ca. '98 and had a very box-shaped rim. front 26 hole, rear 28 holes and ceramic coating.

thanks
    Well, since I ripped a nipple out of it (again) on the rear wheel , I might be able to give you the exact weight if I get a new rim..they are very light (thats why spoke tension is crucial and even then every now and again I break one)
    And they do weigh 650/850 complete (without QR)

pics HERE
    Titanium or Bust !

Team SUMMIT BICYCLES

Strong and light (for ceramic)

I have two sets of these wheels. I guess the weight comes from the hubs and to a lesser degree the massive rimstrips, because the rims I have weighed came in around 410 grams. That's the same weight as Mavic 517 ceramics that I have weighed. About the same weight but the Crossmax is definitely a stronger design since it is wider and has the double eyelet spoke holes. They seem to work very well with a DIY latex sealant setup.
    I have had one crack at the spokeholes, I guess due to too much tension.
    They aren't cheap, even from Mavic on a prodeal I think I paid around $75 for one!

Max
    Velodramatic
    i dont think the Xmax are more reliable than the 517s. a friend of mine has had his Xmax rims replaced a couple of times, until he finally bought 517s (or 618, dunno exactly).
    since the old Xmax rims are double-eyelet, i thought it might be impossible to get them sealed. even with eclipse, i still have some fluid underneath the rimstrip on my 717 disc rims. and those dont have double-eyelets....

Team SUMMIT BICYCLES

Maybe not more reliable...

I guess Max has a point. I have heard of many people having to replace these rims as I did, from fractures at the spoke holes. The double eyelets create a stronger wheel, though, as long as the tension on the spokes is not too much.
    I have had great luck with tubeless so far. One layer of strapping tape and two layers of electrical tape, side by side and slightly overlapped. The pythons I mounted with this rim job and homemade latex have held air for months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Max

I ran Stan's with my crossmax for about 1 year with no problem. As for the weight I just got a CK disc wheelset built up and my 32 hole with Mavic 717 disc rims are 2 oz more then the CrossMax front and rear. The one's I have are from 1999 Keep your eye's on e-bay you might see mine soon!!!!!

nightriding is fun !
    New Xmax rims cost 100€ from Mavic.
    I have these wheels since 1999 and ripped two nipples in July 2002 and now again one nipple . It always happens in the rear wheel, this time on the non-drive side which is radially spoked. The two times I ripped the nipples was after very muddy rides, where a lot of force went through the wheels. The tension was correct , I had them respoked in july 2002 and did not have to retension them since then.
    They are my favorite set due to their light weight . The rimwall is very thin .
    I had no troubles with the hubs except the occasional change of bearings.
    Titanium or Bust !

banned

thanks guys!!

thanks
    i thought they were lighter . as it seems they aren't. too bad. i'm still looking for a light ceramic rims with 28 holes. as it seems Bontrager might be an option but i will have to weigh some samples. usually the weight varies big time on Bonty rims.

Max
    Velodramatic
    nino, i heard rumors that DT swiss can coat rims with a ceramic surface. at least their own ones. why not just buy some notubes/AMC rims and get them coated? in mid-january i will fly to zürich and then take the train to the DT swiss works. maybe they can give me more detailed information

Recovering couch patato
    Varying weight I see not as a chance to get the lightest possible, but as a warning that quality is very inconsistent.

The XMAX double eyelits seem like a waste of weight, if they're still pulled through the rim. same goes for Open Pro's really, I have pulled those through as well. Odd that it hardly ever happens to me with single eyelits, even on light rims.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Max
    Velodramatic
    Nino, check this out: that might help us create our own ceramic cuperlight rims: http://www.a-m.de/deutsch/literatur/ke0892.htm

Max
    Velodramatic
    .... we only gotta find some aluminiumoxide or titaniumoxide :-/

FPC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    [QUOTE=XC Mike]I ran Stan's with my crossmax for about 1 year with no problem.

Did you use the standard size Stan's rim strip 21.5 - 24.5 mm? What did you use to cover the spoke holes - the rubber band that came withthe crossmax or some different tape? Any other thoughts on this set up? I was thinking of converting my '00 xmax to stan's. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    [QUOTE=FPC]
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Mike
    I ran Stan's with my crossmax for about 1 year with no problem.

Did you use the standard size Stan's rim strip 21.5 - 24.5 mm? What did you use to cover the spoke holes - the rubber band that came withthe crossmax or some different tape? Any other thoughts on this set up? I was thinking of converting my '00 xmax to stan's. Thanks
    Yes the standard size and I removed Mavic rim tape and used Stan's tape in kit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    411 grams for a 28 hole model; I just purchased one from a classified here. I would upload a picture but I cannot find my compact flash card reader.

This rim is slightly wider than a 517 and the spoke bed surface has a rough black finish, not at all like the cd coating available on the 517.