Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Go faster!

Only Ti/Titanium bolt on skewers 31g

Probably some of you weenies have been using this Taiwanese bolt on skewers.
    Superlightweight at 31g! but what feedback can you give about them?
    Are they strong enough for aggressive XC racing? Will the small alu bolts or the axle snap under power?

available at ebay if someone is interested...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Order a set and try them... I will say the QR skewers that are included with Rotaz hubs (64g) and are sometimes sold seperately under other brand names are NOT up to the task of holding the wheels in place. My rear slipped trying to climb a couple stairs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have a blue set at home. I have used them in short Cat2 xc races and they have held up so far. Make sure you order the MTB rods as both front and rear need to be wider than the road version. The hold tight. The rods are a bit smaller in diameter than the Salsa ti rods. I replaced the front twist end cap with one of my Salsa's because the small knobs are difficult to grab. Total weight is 38gr with Salsa cap. 33gr original. I weigh 175lbs.

official eMpTyBRain

I've got a red set

I tried these and then took them off. They seemed a little too skiiny for the high speed downhill bombs I do. Not that I jump and slam my ride around but I do hit some ruts pretty hard at high speed.

An issue I do have is that the front axle is a little too short. I could not get the end bolt to thread completely onto the axle. Perhaps the shipper accidentally sent a road set? The rear shaft was perfect in legnth and fit. Neither the front nor the rear ever came loose in the half dozen rides I used them on....

Beware of what you order from overseas!!!

'hawg
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You should not use Ti Skewers on Full suspension bikes! And technically, you shouldn't use them on Front Suspension either.

I just ordered a Chris King hub and it will void your warranty if you use Ti Skewers, so if CK warns against it, I wouldn't use it on any bike you downhill with.

I now use my Ti-Skewers on my commuter bikes instead.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    got mine from torontocycles and he gave me a longer front bolt. and they weighed in at 32g
    http://torontocycles.com/Selling/Hubs-Skewers.html
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Bad idea to use flimsy skewers the front if you have a disc brake or do any serious riding. Skewers are one of the few parts where shaving weight is not the smartest thing imho.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames...ase/index.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've been using KCNC titanium skewers for a year or so now without problems. Have used them for riding in pretty rough terrain 4 or 5 days a weeks (with Fox F100 RLC FIT fork) and for a season's racing. My friend has a set too and he weighs 75kg and has had no problems. I have not used these particular ones, but I have no problem with titanium skewers per se.

gone for a bike ride
    have a couple of 24g Tune Skylines on our XC bikes, hundreds of miles without any probs (touch wood) there's a tab on the skewer end caps that stops them for unwinding & they can be torqued up almost as much as RWS Titan (nino posted a German bike mag skewer test that confirms that sometime ago)

this style skewer seems fine for our local mild trails - but probably not so clever in the ruff - no comparison to thru bolt

the OP's skewers look to need just an allen key to tighten, having to carry the Tune skewer key takes some of the shine off weight savings - great if Tune re-designed the key to also be a bottle opener

(edit to add pic)
    Last edited by culturesponge; 01-04-2011 at 03:39 PM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I bought a set only to use the rear on on my ti. hardtail. No way I'd use the front one with a suspension fork. The rear one has been working fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    http://cgi.ebay.com/EXTRA-LIGHT-F-R-...6#ht_532wt_913

I use these and have a good 2500 miles on them without them slipping once. I wont use any ti skewers, the tune skylines I had came loose after about 2 miles of downhill, so I sold them. I also like these because it feels like i can torque them down super tight. i havent tried the ones the op wants
    My bikes:
    2009 Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon, 1x9 "trail monster"
    1996 Bontrager Privateer Comp, 1x9, Hydro V's

gone for a bike ride
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanrosenbach3
    I wont use any ti skewers, the tune skylines I had came loose after about 2 miles of downhill, so I sold them
    like most bike componants - headset bolts/skewers ect tightness/torques need re-checking after the 1st few rides

mine too were slightly looser after a testride, but after re-torquing them (plus blue loctite) they haven't slackened at all after 700 miles of jolty trails + steep downhills

they are not as convenient as levered skewers + better weight saving with lighter tires

(hope i'm not setting myself up for an incident on my next ride!)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have a set that after about 50 miles the front is bent and I cant take off will have to break it....I bought the red pictured by OP, but is more like PINK.

Also, as suggested above the front is really short, need to take it apart to remove front tire.

Will switch back to Halo bolt on skewers...strong and reliable

Go faster!
    The skewers I posted are probably good for road bikes only.
    They have no torque settings, this is also something I've never seen on any skewers and I think that's important.

Quote Originally Posted by pp-tso
    I have a set that after about 50 miles the front is bent and I cant take off will have to break it....I bought the red pictured by OP, but is more like PINK.

Also, as suggested above the front is really short, need to take it apart to remove front tire.

Will switch back to Halo bolt on skewers...strong and reliable
    How have you bent the front skewer pp-tso?

I also have a pair of these I bought from torontocycles:

I have been using since February with no probs. Wait the only problem was having to grind the nuts down a bit because the axles were short.

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanrosenbach3
    http://cgi.ebay.com/EXTRA-LIGHT-F-R-...6#ht_532wt_913

I use these and have a good 2500 miles on them without them slipping once. I wont use any ti skewers, the tune skylines I had came loose after about 2 miles of downhill, so I sold them. I also like these because it feels like i can torque them down super tight. i havent tried the ones the op wants
    those skewers seem like a good choice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Order a set and try them... I will say the QR skewers that are included with Rotaz hubs (64g) and are sometimes sold seperately under other brand names are NOT up to the task of holding the wheels in place. My rear slipped trying to climb a couple stairs.
    How do those Rotaz QR's look anyway? Can some-one post a pic?

got spirit, losing feelin
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by culturesponge
    (nino posted a German bike mag skewer test that confirms that sometime ago)

Can someone please show me the link? I have looked, but cant find it.

My bike has horizontal dropsouts - the best skewer to hold the rear wheel would be a good ol' shimano skewer, right? (besides CK funbolts, and all that..)

Please read:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

"The exposed-cam skewers are generally OK for vertical dropouts in back, and for forks with "lawyer lips", but should not be relied on with horizontal dropouts or plain forks."

Exposed cam < Enposed cam

I am also concerned about weight, but I'm afraid the only QR that will hold my rear wheel tight (enough), is shimano... Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I think, generally, that ti bolt-ons are fine. Ti quick release skewers can be problematic for suspension but the only problems with bolt ons that I've heard of involve "stupid light" with very thin rods.

mtbr member
    Control Tech Race (not SL) bolt ons is as low as I would go on a skewer. Not much weight is left to save - but I feel it is getting sketchy. Control Techs served me well.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Control Tech Race (not SL) bolt ons is as low as I would go on a skewer. Not much weight is left to save - but I feel it is getting sketchy. Control Techs served me well.
    my sl's sucked, i couldnt clamp them hard enough so all i heard was a creaking... now i have

the above ones and they get tight enough, it really helped them to grease the rod so they loosened up easily.
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessfools
    my sl's sucked, i couldnt clamp them hard enough so all i heard was a creaking...
    SL suck indeed. Regular Race do not.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    [QUOTE=sergio_pt]
    How have you bent the front skewer pp-tso?

From regular use...I ride the Northeast in the USA...nothing out of the ordinary. After a few rides I tried to removed the front tire and realized it was bent it took some force to get it out.

I replace it with regular Salsa QR skewers and now the front is more stable.

Quote Originally Posted by two-one
    How do those Rotaz QR's look anyway? Can some-one post a pic?

You should be able to see it clear enough.

They basically look like these... http://cgi.ebay.com/Titanium-QR-Whee...item4aa313fe92 but instead of having metal pieces for the lever to cam against, the ones Rotaz uses have a white teflon plastic piece which tends to flex when a load is applied, like say the wheel being torqued to one side by the chain or disc brake.

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ginsu2k
    ... I wouldn't use it on any bike you downhill with.
    I'm pretty sure if I were to "downhill", I wouldn't be using anything but thru-axles front and rear.

Semantics aside, if the bike and/or fork is stiff enough, I doubt very much you'll find too many people in the weight weenies forum who have any misgivings whatsoever about using Ti skewers on their light bikes.
    A hardtail is forever

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast