mateo

Old news but still cool...Extralite F1

Picture Caption from the MBA site:

"Side shot: MBA's Eddie Arnet aboard the Extralite we tested in February. The bike is set up with Stan's wheelset, converted Karma DTCs and an 11-34 cogset. With Bebops it hit the start at a sweet 18.3 lbs."
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Did he...

win?

If so, by what margin?

On your left.
    Jan 2004

yes, results here. Plus 1 pic.

Quote Originally Posted by 514Climber
    win?

If so, by what margin?
    http://www.southridgeusa.com/XC1-16-2005.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    M

mtbr member

That frame looks to small...

for that dude. However, very nice. What are those V-brakes?

mateo
    Quote Originally Posted by top_ring
    for that dude. However, very nice. What are those V-brakes?
    They are Ritchey brakes I believe.

Cassoulet forever !
    big ring - big sprocket

i hope the derailleur survived.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

the wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR
    big ring - big sprocket

you know what that means. his chain is too long he could easially spare a few links that would save a few grams and after all its a gear that shouldnt be used anyway.
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

jonny_mac

i wouldnt

put too much faith in that magazine! while i believe the bike is light, the frame weighed
    4.5 lbs, and in the magazine they stated it was 18.9 lbs with no pedals. then by some miracle they put pedals on it, remove the dura ace cassette and put on an xtr, and removed the conti twister supersonics and light tubes and put stans with
    kenda tires(which may be a wash there), and somehow the bike rolls to the starting
    line lighter than it was before. that mag just spews bs! i only believe weights if the
    bike is ON a calibrated scale, no fish scales, no spreadsheets.

I like bikes :)
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR
    big ring - big sprocket

when im racing im in big ring-big sprocket on rough downhills, it takes away chain slack and holds your chain on better. i *could* take out a couple links, have a bit less slack in any gear combo but risk going into big-big and screwing my race up by getting the chain jammed, but its not worth the couple of g's
    (8) climb hard or never be seen (8)

On your left.
    Jan 2004

MBA and racing

Quote Originally Posted by jonny_mac
    put too much faith in that magazine! while i believe the bike is light, the frame weighed
    4.5 lbs, and in the magazine they stated it was 18.9 lbs with no pedals. then by some miracle they put pedals on it, remove the dura ace cassette and put on an xtr, and removed the conti twister supersonics and light tubes and put stans with
    kenda tires(which may be a wash there), and somehow the bike rolls to the starting
    line lighter than it was before. that mag just spews bs! i only believe weights if the
    bike is ON a calibrated scale, no fish scales, no spreadsheets.
    I respect the fact they have a pretty good Expert racer on their staff and I think they get input from other experienced racers. Eddie is very easy to talk with and he does a valuable job of promoting local (SoCal) races. When it comes to pure weightweenieness they don't always get it right, but I think they know that saving a few grams does not make you faster. Their articles on fitness seem to be accurate and that is how to truly get faster. But, I think their magazine is pretty meager and I wish they were more scientific and less subjective. I doubt they have the budget for German style tests, so maybe they should enlist universities, readers, or even manufactureres to do tests for them.

For example you could test 25.4mm and 31.8mm bar/stem combos. MBA would provide the parts. Your results I assume would be tabulated in a spreadsheet.
    M

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by mateo
    Picture Caption from the MBA site:

"Side shot: MBA's Eddie Arnet aboard the Extralite we tested in February. The bike is set up with Stan's wheelset, converted Karma DTCs and an 11-34 cogset. With Bebops it hit the start at a sweet 18.3 lbs."
    18.3...son of a biatch
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

strip it down

Is it just the weight savings forum?

Everyone seems to either be judgmental as hellll, or just plain know everything about bikes, and weight savings......Who cares what rings the guy is in....he's 45+.....and obviously very fast for that age...and where he races....I dare say that he could probably put a whipping on a lot of racers on this forum (but that's just a guess). For all I care he can ride the bike backwards with his face ductaped to his saddle and if he still wins races....so be it!!!! MBA gets a lot of things wrong...they get a lot of things right...they are just people. I personally don't like the magazine a whole lot simply because they don't spend enough time on racing - which is what I'm interested in. I could care less about hucking or jumping...etc...Ok I'm nagging......but "almost" every post on here was negative....maybe it's just winter and you guys are fried from the trainer.....but I think it's cool that MBA tested an Extralight bike..and I think it's cool that he's flying on it......maybe I should just make a comment about how he looks too big on his bike and we can get into a war about proper bike fit.... :-)
    There's nothing like having the world under your wheels......

jonny_mac

hey t-boner-ius

how bout a big F***-YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!