Thread: Nutz & Boltz

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Nutz & Boltz

I'd like to know what others think before I actually do this. What about drilling out the centers, or hollowing the bolt so it ressembles a tube with treads? I've read so many things about bolts over the years that I've gotten confused about which materials work or don't work on a stem or brake rotor etc. and which one corrode more and so forth. I was thinking that I could lower a steel bolts weight by drilling out down through it's center yet still have a good fastener for the component.

ups and downs
    Just use Ti or aluminium fasteners, drilling the centre of bolts will compromise their tensile strength, you won't be able to do it without heating the bolt.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I dont really see the point in drilling out your steel bolts. The amount of work you'd have to do vs. the weight savings and safety just isnt worth it. As rockyuphill said - Just use Ti and alloy bolts.

If youre worried about where to use Ti or alloy than just use Ti everywhere or use it in the places where you're unsure of which one to use.

If you cant afford to bolt tune then just stick with the steel. You'll only be getting minimal weight savings anyways by switching out your bolts. You can probably find some other part on your bike that would save you alot more weight by switching it out with something lighter compared to spending the cash on Ti bolts - They aint cheap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I also remember the story of how one guy saw how cool the chainrings from Mercx's hour record attempt looked.....drilled out to the max. He did a drill job himself based on the size and position of the holes he'd seen and took his cool new crank for a spin. It lasted all of 3 revolutions then folded

There is a thread on this forum that is about where it is ok to use Ti and alloy bolts

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Saving weight on the bike seems to be like a drug habit. 30g doesn't sound like much until you take 30g from here and 30g from there. Before you know it you've saved 1/4 pound. I was only thinking when I came up with the idea. I can afford to change every bolt on the bike to Ti or Aluminum but I was more concerned about the corrosion effects. Even though I service my bikes alot it is still hard to keep up with the corrosin.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mofoki
    Saving weight on the bike seems to be like a drug habit.
    Yep, its a never ending process. Theres always something on my bike that can be tweaked, changed out, lightened or just made better in some way. One thing that does seem to help is to get a second bike and turn my attention onto that one for a while.