Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005

Non weight weenie tuning

I have a set of FSA 386 K-Force Light carbon cranks, and I never liked the way they looked with the painted on red and white stripes.
    I recently purchased a lighter weight 42T, 386 sprocket off ebay, from the aluminum version of this crank, to replace the 40T black sprocket, so it gave me an opportunity to lose the funky racing stripes on the crank as well. I used sandpaper to cut through the clearcoat and remove the stripes, and finished with scotchbrite to give it a smooth flat finish. There is still a layer of clearcoat on the cranks, but its been dulled flat by the scotchbrite. This gave me a look that I like better, since I don't really like the red/black combo.

Before:

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It is WW tuning since you shaved some paint and clearcoat...grams add up.

Crankset looks much much better, but even the lack of striper is spoiled by the chainring.

Looks aside, as long as it works and is in the lightweight league, it is ok.

Chris.

mtbr member
    Get out the dremel and attack that ring. It looks way too beefy.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002maniac View Post
    Get out the dremel and attack that ring. It looks way too beefy.
    The chainring I put on there is lighter than the one I took off. The back of the ring is heavily machined out. Cutting holes in the ring will remove the shift ramp profiles machined into the backside. It's also a place to collect mud when you add through holes into chainrings. I probably saved a few grams total, but I did this mostly to get the gear range I wanted, and the ugly stripes removed, lol.

I like the clean look on the front of the ring, too! The original ring was heavy, and had all these strange geometric forms stamped into the front, as well as that funky red/white stripe painted on it. I wanted to make the crankset look as different from the original as I could. I just added some blue alloy chainring bolts to it as well. Removing the stripes and logos gave the crankset a very unbranded "prototype" look that I like.

Now I have a gear range that I like with the 42-27 rings, and an 11-32 cassette. I usually run an 11-28 cassette for local riding. The SRAM XG-1090 cassette is only 156 grams.
    Last edited by turbogrover; 11-04-2012 at 07:17 AM.