mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Nokian NBX Lite 2.0

Hi all,

Does anybody have any experience with the above tyre?

I'm currently on Speedking supersonics and in all honesty I'm seriously fed up with the front tyre which is proving to be a real pain to seal with stans, it seals then more pinholes appear in the sidewalls after riding and I'm back to square one.

Now, I like the look of the NBX Lite, they look like they could roll very well, what I really need to know is if they seal well? I've used Nobby nics and Racing Ralphs before these Speedkings and they both seal perfectly.

I know that I will be adding some weight with the NBX over the Speedkings which is a pain but if they roll better and seal better I think it may be a fair compromise.

Cheers all,

Sean

mtbr member
    I had a pair of those with latex. They seal ok, they roll much better than the NN, but they wear fast! Specially as a rear tire. I cut the sidewall of the rear one with a rock, and the front one just came out of the rim when I left my bike at the sun with permanent damage... Overall I still prefer the NN. More rolling resistance but more volume and comfort... Although I did had a cut at the rear tire sidewall too...

mtbr member
    hey wiiija,

I had a similiar problem with pinholes leaking. I emailed Stan and his advice was to put a small dab of super glue on each pinhole. I tried this and the tire stopped leaking altogether. Just a suggestion.

Mike
    www.MtbTi.com "Titanium bolt kits for your bike"

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hmm not a bad idea that mike, I might give it a go, there seems to be 3 pinholes in total which keep coming unsealed so that should work
    I wonder if rubber adhesive (like that thats used for patches) might work better, superglue dries a little brittle I would have thought.

I ordered a pair of the NBX Lite anyway (though the company sent me the wrong ones :I ), I'll decide whether to switch to them once I get some more feedback on how they perform.Yes I know I should have posted this thread before I bought them
    Last edited by wiiija; 07-09-2007 at 12:08 PM.

SUBLIM8er
    The solution: make your own solution. Pinholes can be dealt with by getting creative with the goop. Try this:

Liquid latex
    A good amount of Slime with the junk in it- not the UST tubeless slime though with the big chunks.
    Windshield washer fluid.

Don't stress the mixture amounts much. This is NOT rocket science. Just start with a good amount of the slime and liquid latex in a big water bottle or whatever and then add the windshied washer fluid until you get close to the consistency of the Stans solution but maybe not quite that runny. This will save you much $$ over Stans goop which is criminally expensive IMO. The crap they put in the Slime should seal those pinholes up just fine. The only expensive part of this is the Slime, which I don't use for a non-pinhole tires anyway.

FWIW, do not go with the NBX if you have a rock in the trails you ride. This rock will certainly puncture your tire and render you bikeless. Also, the Speedkings are not rated to be a very fast rolling tire. According to Nino's german rolling resistance tables the Speedkings are about the equal of the Explorers on resistence. The Explorers are slow rollers. Lots of hype around this tire this year. I knew it would have pinhole issues like all of the Supersonics but you are the first to report bead and pinhole issues that I am aware of. It's pathetic that Conti didn't have the foresight to anticipate people would want to run this tire tubless and design accordingly.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Cheers Axis, I'll give that a go, I've just ordered more Stans so I may just add some slime to that.
    I agree the Speedkings really aren't very fast rolling when compared to the Ralphs I was using before them.Though I do think they are fairly fast for a tyre with a fair amount of tread.
    Regarding people not reporting the pinhole issues I think there is so much hype regarding this tyre that people dont like to admit its flawed (when using it tubeless!).

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by wiiija
    Cheers Axis, I'll give that a go, I've just ordered more Stans so I may just add some slime to that.
    I agree the Speedkings really aren't very fast rolling when compared to the Ralphs I was using before them.Though I do think they are fairly fast for a tyre with a fair amount of tread.
    Regarding people not reporting the pinhole issues I think there is so much hype regarding this tyre that people dont like to admit its flawed (when using it tubeless!).
    Righto. Good luck.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What are suggestions for a good tire for those of us that live in rocky areas? I tried Stans, but gave up after I found that I got just as many, if not more flats due to tears in my tires that goop just won't seal. I had used panaracer fire xc pros ( the 127 tpi versions) and panaracer smokes (kevlar) in the past. (not really WW material (560-570g), but my other priority is only spending about $20 a tire! )

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Well, I decided to try the NBX Lites afterall so its only fair I give my opinion on them I think.

Firstly they sealed up super quick, popped onto the beads easily using the compressor at work and the stans sealed them very fast.

How do they ride? man they are awesome in my opinion, they are sooooooo much faster than the Speedkings and the transition between center knobs and side knobs is flawless so cornering feels really good.
    Ok so its added some weight but not a huge amount and I think the performance increase far outweighs the weight penalty.

I'll be sticking with these for a while, feels like the perfect tyre between a racing ralph and a nobby nic to me at the moment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Nokian has now stopped making tubeless tires, but they say that NBX's, Lite's, etc can be used tubeless with Stan's kit. So there should be no problem running them tubeless with sealant. The NBX Lite 2.0 is really, really narrow - just like the Maxxis Maxlite 310. One can't simply claim them to be MTB tires... As for the wear issue, it's true, all NBX Lite's wear really fast - on hard surface. They can lose their tread during a single long road trip. For trail use only, I'd say. The 2.2" version is ok, not that superlight though.
    I have the NBX Lite S 2.2" - the semislick NBX Lite. It rolls really fast and it seems to wear slower than the basic NBX Lite.