mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nobby Nic a Fast Roling Tire?

Ok Nobby Nic users . . .

I am looking to replace my Specialized Roll X Pro 2 Bliss tires with something lighter and considerably faster rolling. I ran Racing Ralph's last season and might go back to them but am examining options.

Do the Nobby Nics roll as fast as the Racing Ralph's? Do they have better damp and climbing traction with the larger knobs?

Thanks for the Input.

Trey

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

The NN roll just about as fast....

with way better traction!
    Thye use the same casing and compound as the RR
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

great tire !!

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    with way better traction!
    Thye use the same casing and compound as the RR

Use the Nobby nis in the front and the racing ralph in the rear,

the nobby nic has better traction and corning than your roll x 2bliss and rolls such much Faster, as Dirtboy stated it is almost as fast rolling as the racing ralph

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I didn't feel that I gave up anything going from RR to Nobby Nics, they roll nicely for a real tire AND they have grip, it rails. When running semi knobbed tire like the RR I felt like I had to carefully choose my cornering speed, with the NN it's just not the case.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ok one last question. Are they durable enough to get the non UST tire and run it tubeless? I will run whatever I get tubeless and will use a sealant regardless. I had an issue with a couple RR's where I tire the crap out of the sidewalls. Was it a fluke or should I be concerned?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Asahi
    Ok one last question. Are they durable enough to get the non UST tire and run it tubeless? I will run whatever I get tubeless and will use a sealant regardless. I had an issue with a couple RR's where I tire the crap out of the sidewalls. Was it a fluke or should I be concerned?
    i would like to know too..

banned

weak sidewalls...

schwalbe foldable tires have weak sidewalls. that's a fact. not the percect choice if you havew problems with cuts...

mtbr member
    Does anyone make a fast tire with durable sidewalls? I was really considering these until I read your post. I considered Nokin NBX's too, but also heard they cut easily. Maybe that's just part of the fast rollign equation.... How slow rollign are IRC tires? I don't recall seeing them listed in the German tests, but have had excellent durabilty out of them, riding in all of our jagged rocks here in the desert. Actually, of all the tires I've riden, with the exception of DH tires, the IRC's have never sustained a cut in any sidewall, and I've been on Mythos F/R, Serracs, and now I'm rolling on Mibro's, 2.25F, 2.1R... Now they have the new mibro for marathon that I might give a whirl, with more center knobs. Maybe it'll roll faster, less up down over knobs?....

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

dot
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    schwalbe foldable tires have weak sidewalls. that's a fact. not the percect choice if you havew problems with cuts...
    Snakeskins or regular folding ones? I've got a pile of schwalbe folding tires and have never had a single issue with sidewalls despite relatively low pressure and my own relatively big weight. But I've never ridden snakeskins, they do look very thin.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Me too I don't know about the regular schwalbe's but the snakeskin versions are unbelievably strong and durable--and that's a fact!

banned
    Ok Nobby Nic users . . .

I am looking to replace my Specialized Roll X Pro 2 Bliss tires with something lighter and considerably faster rolling. I ran Racing Ralph's last season and might go back to them but am examining options.

Do the Nobby Nics roll as fast as the Racing Ralph's? Do they have better damp and climbing traction with the larger knobs?

Thanks for the Input.

Trey
    Does anyone have a picture of the Knobby Nic inflated and on a bike?

I'm thinking of getting a pair from Dirt Boy but would really like to see something other than the stock photo from the schwalbe site..

Bueller?

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    Does anyone have a picture of the Knobby Nic inflated and on a bike?

I'm thinking of getting a pair from Dirt Boy but would really like to see something other than the stock photo from the schwalbe site..

Bueller?
    There you go, Nobby Nic front, Racing Ralph back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje
    There you go, Nobby Nic front, Racing Ralph back.

Thanks!

They don't look bad at all - for being so light. I'm currently running Motoraptor 2.1's and these look comparable from a size and tread standpoint...

Do they wear well?

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    Thanks!

They don't look bad at all - for being so light. I'm currently running Motoraptor 2.1's and these look comparable from a size and tread standpoint...

Do they wear well?
    Well, I just got them about a month ago, so I can't really give a real answer to that, but the Racing looks more worn than the Nobby.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just to follow up, I got the Nobby Nic 2.1 UST and rode and raced on them for the first rides this past weekend. They weighed 704 and 714 grams. This saved me about 150 grams over my Specialized Roll X Pros and they roll a good bit faster. The climb better than my Racing Ralphs or Roll X tires to I don't think I'll put a RR on the rear.

Members who have read this thread: 0