Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 177

Thread: No rear brake

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Keith Medlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    70

    No rear brake

    When I built my new MTB, I didn't get a rear brake, grinded of the rear rim brake mount/cable holders, and had the rear wheel built with a centerlock hub so I could also shave the weight of the 6 bolt flange as well as the centerlock lockring. Before I decided to do this I did TONS of research on pros and cons and didn't really find ANY info on the popularity of this light weight one brake setup. Obviously it's not an ideal setup for 99% of you, but is there seriously nobody else who favors this setup, or do my googling skills need work?

  2. #2
    > /dev/null 2&>1
    Reputation: Procter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,576

    Re: No rear brake

    Before you try this, have you ever tried actually going a whole ride without using your rear brake? You'll notice you have to plan your breaking way ahead, and basically ride a whole lot slower and more conservatively, defeating the purpose of having a light bike to begin with. And that's not even bringing in the obvious safety issue: your stopping distance will be dramatically greater in an emergency stop - hiker, oncoming biker around bend, etc.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Keith Medlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    Before you try this, have you ever tried actually going a whole ride without using your rear brake? You'll notice you have to plan your breaking way ahead, and basically ride a whole lot slower and more conservatively, defeating the purpose of having a light bike to begin with. And that's not even bringing in the obvious safety issue: your stopping distance will be dramatically greater in an emergency stop - hiker, oncoming biker around bend, etc.
    Lol, actually I've never been on a MTB with a rear brake. I can stop very fast with the front, brake while in a turn, etc. I works perfect for me and is ideal for a light bike because when I feel the lack of extra weight the most I'm climbing and don't need any brakes. I could put my foot down to stop. I was just trying to find others that prefer this setup out of curiosity.

    But to answer your question directly, ALL of my rides have been with no rear brake, ever. Like asking a virgin if he's ever actually tried to go without sex! ;-P

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    920
    Between you and this guy, we're in for some exciting cycling:
    Is it safe to use only the rear disc brake for trail riding ?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Keith Medlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Between you and this guy, we're in for some exciting cycling:
    Is it safe to use only the rear disc brake for trail riding ?
    I came across that article during my research and MANY like it always people talking about only rear brake and never only front brake. Strange since the front brake is the one that stops you.

  6. #6
    I <3 dirt
    Reputation: Ilikemtb999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,347

    No rear brake

    Are you riding on or off road?
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

  7. #7
    I <3 dirt
    Reputation: Ilikemtb999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,347

    No rear brake

    Who am I kidding....it doesn't matter. Both would be crazy unless you're sporting a fixie rear setup.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

  8. #8
    locked - time out
    Reputation: sodak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Medlock View Post
    Lol, actually I've never been on a MTB with a rear brake.
    Whoa! Subscribed.... You've NEVER ridden with a rear brake? You riding a Tri-cycle? Please post pics of this setup, I am interested.

  9. #9
    I <3 dirt
    Reputation: Ilikemtb999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,347

    No rear brake

    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    Whoa! Subscribed.... You've NEVER ridden with a rear brake? You riding a Tri-cycle? Please post pics of this setup, I am interested.
    I looked; he's brand new to MTB. I think he said January.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Keith Medlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are you riding on or off road?
    Offroad unless Imm riding withy daughter on sidewalks...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Keith Medlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    I looked; he's brand new to MTB. I think he said January.
    Yes, January. I've left the tabs on the frame and wave the centerlock rotor so its always an option. I just haven't needed one thus far and was amazed no one else uses this setup ESPECIALLY since there seems to be a no front brake cult following...

  12. #12
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Medlock View Post
    Yes, January. I've left the tabs on the frame and wave the centerlock rotor so its always an option. I just haven't needed one thus far and was amazed no one else uses this setup ESPECIALLY since there seems to be a no front brake cult following...
    tell me about this "no front brake cult" - I must have missed it
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Saul Lumikko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,273
    You can also ride without a helmet to save weight.

    With the exception that riding without a backup for your brake is even dumber than riding bare-headed: a helmet will never prevent an accident, just protect your head in case you get into one. A brake could very well prevent the crash to begin with.

    Brakes fail. Riding without a fail-safe (another brake) should mean you're riding more carefully (like with brakeless fixies), but if you ride a one-brake bike as fast as one with two brakes, you have a hole in your head.

    (Closed tracks are a different thing, like BMX and velodrome. My strong position for two means of stopping applies to traffic and open trails.)

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Keith Medlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    70
    [QUOTE=Saul Lumikko;10260756]You can also ride without a helmet to save weight.

    With the exception that riding without a backup for your brake is even dumber than riding bare-headed: a helmet will never prevent an accident, just protect your head in case you get into one. A brake could very well prevent the crash to begin with.

    Brakes fail. Riding without a fail-safe (another brake) should mean you're riding more carefully (like with brakeless fixies), but if you ride a one-brake bike as fast as one with two brakes, you have a hole in your head.

    (Closed tracks are a different thing, like BMX and velodrome. My strong position for two means of stopping applies to traffic and open trails.)[/QUOTE

    well that didn't answer my question. Nobody else answered my question either, but you're the only one who was rude. From one extreme sports athlete to another allow me to teach you something...
    Risk assessment is a very personal thing and we are all responsible for our own safety. Stating I'm dumb or have a hole in my head (in fact I have many for seeing, hearing, breathing, eating, etc.) for a personal risk assessment decision is like me berating someone for riding a hardtail. After all, the added traction from the rear wheel staying in contact with the ground could prevent an accident in the first place so I would have to be dumb to ride without rear suspension according to your flawed logic. I hope you are not representative of the type of individuals on this forum.

  15. #15
    I <3 dirt
    Reputation: Ilikemtb999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,347

    No rear brake

    I think riding without a rear brake is flawed logic. The whole point is to have a lighter bike? No offense but you're on a boat anchor of a bike. The logical way to lighten a bike is to upgrade to lighter parts or lighten yourself. The flip side is ride it how it is and actually get faster/better by riding instead of worrying about bike weight.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Keith Medlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    tell me about this "no front brake cult" - I must have missed it
    Like this and many other similar things I've read...

    front brake or no front brake?

  17. #17
    I <3 dirt
    Reputation: Ilikemtb999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,347

    No rear brake

    That's in the dirt jump bike section. Think of that as a big bmx bike. My DJ bike has no front brake but I'm also not barreling down trails at double digit speeds with trees everywhere; I'm in a controlled area.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Keith Medlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    I think riding without a rear brake is flawed logic. The whole point is to have a lighter bike? No offense but you're on a boat anchor of a bike. The logical way to lighten a bike is to upgrade to lighter parts or lighten yourself. The flip side is ride it how it is and actually get faster/better by riding instead of worrying about bike weight.
    It is flawed logic for you and your MTB. For my MTB its perfect. No offense taken. I bought this frame because the price was right and My parts are pretty light and awesome. Remember the frame is a modified Revel 3, but I don't have a Revel three. Building it was fun for me, and now we've bonded and it has sentimental value to me. It will slowly get lighter (26lbs right now) although I certainly won't get lighter. I'm a VERY fit wingsuit pilot with between 3-5% body fat depending on the month. Just fun guys and something for me to share with the wife since she's not a skydiver. Not planing a MTB carreer or racing. Half the fun I've had so far is learning about the bike, building it, messing up and fixing my mess up, etc.

    i really do appreciate all the input but I've got the pro and con list already.

    Seriously, Im not trying to troll here guys, just curious is anyone else has their MTB setup like this and their experience with it. Thanks.

  19. #19
    I <3 dirt
    Reputation: Ilikemtb999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,347

    No rear brake

    You must not go very fast.

    I'd like to see a spec sheet on this revel. We sell revels and they're boat anchors of a bike
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kiwiplague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,130
    The short answer will be no, no one around here is going to have only a front brake with no rear, as we all kind of like being able to keep living. Dirt jump MTB's are the only bike that deliberately run one brake, but as mentioned, they are in controlled environment (most of the time).
    If you are riding on trails (or roads for that matter) and you have something unexpected happen, you are going to find it very very difficult to stop safely without causing yourself injury.
    As has been mentioned above, you have a very flawed idea of how to save weight on your bike.
    Put the rear brake back on your bike!
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

  21. #21
    Trail Prospector
    Reputation: Flyin_W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,665

    Re: No rear brake

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Medlock View Post
    When I built my new MTB, I didn't get a rear brake, grinded of the rear rim brake mount/cable holders, and had the rear wheel built with a centerlock hub so I could also shave the weight of the 6 bolt flange as well as the centerlock lockring. Before I decided to do this I did TONS of research on pros and cons and didn't really find ANY info on the popularity of this light weight one brake setup. Obviously it's not an ideal setup for 99% of you, but is there seriously nobody else who favors this setup, or do my googling skills need work?
    IMO Nobody has been rude, and 99% are simply trying to grasp the concept of acceptable risk.

    By sharing your love of extreme sports, and wingsuit flying, it's become clear that your definition is a step beyond what most of us mere mtbr's would consider rational, let alone wise..
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Keith Medlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    The short answer will be no, no one around here is going to have only a front brake with no rear, as we all kind of like being able to keep living. Dirt jump MTB's are the only bike that deliberately run one brake, but as mentioned, they are in controlled environment (most of the time).
    If you are riding on trails (or roads for that matter) and you have something unexpected happen, you are going to find it very very difficult to stop safely without causing yourself injury.
    As has been mentioned above, you have a very flawed idea of how to save weight on your bike.
    Put the rear brake back on your bike!
    Doh! I didn't take the rear brake off my bike. I've never bought a MTB. I built it up on a modified Revel 3 frame. That front can stop faster than I have needed thus far. The weight savings is a definite benefit, but I never bought a rear brake because I've never used my front brake and felt like I needed to be able to stop more, if you can understand what I mean. You guys aren't real easy going, lol. Are MTB guys generally a more uptight group or just the forum mentality? I know the stuff you read on skydiving forums is very different from the culture at the dropzone.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Keith Medlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    You must not go very fast.

    I'd like to see a spec sheet on this revel. We sell revels and they're boat anchors of a bike
    I don't know what qualifies as a boat anchor. Mine weighs 26lbs right now.

    Giant Revel 3 frame with a lot of crap grinded off
    Continental vertical 2.3 wire bead front tire
    Cheap Alex single wall wheel
    Cheap sram 6 bolt hub with disk
    Rockshox xc28 with green spring and rim brake mounts ground off
    Shimano hydraulic brake with BMW hydraulic fluid
    Cheap thick aluminum handlebars with ends filed and beveled to eliminate need for end plugs (I would have to modify the end plugs to get them to fit the ID because the bars are so thick!
    Shimano 9spf lever shifter
    ESI racers edge grips
    Cheap seatpost sawed off an inch below the top tube's bottom weld
    Cheap, light seat with Ti rails
    Shimano 11-34 cassette cs-hg20-9
    Shimano long derailleur
    Shimano 9spd chain
    Mrp bb mount front chain guide
    Mrp 32t podium chainring
    Shimano un-55 73x107 bb
    Shimano crankset m361 ground and modified to us single ring
    Cheap light aluminum cage platform pedals
    Velocity aero heat rear wheel with velo plugs
    Qtubes ultralight
    Ritchie's zmax intuition pro 2 rear tire
    Shimano m629 centerlock rear hub

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Keith Medlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    70
    Sorry, I didn't mean to act uppity, lol. Trust me, Im nobody special.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Keith Medlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    You must not go very fast.

    I'd like to see a spec sheet on this revel. We sell revels and they're boat anchors of a bike
    Missed the first part but yes, I don't go very fast. I just cruise with my wife on singletrack stuff and pull over constantly to let others pass. She mad MS so her ability to go fast is limited.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Front brake vs rear brake
    By Ladmo in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-25-2013, 06:51 AM
  2. Rear brake rub
    By Whitenoiz in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 12:14 PM
  3. El Mar 3 Rear Brake
    By jmiah in forum Salsa
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2012, 02:51 PM
  4. Rear brake problems??
    By Speedjester in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 08:39 AM
  5. Disc Brake Conversion - rear stay brake line?
    By RBatsch in forum Litespeed
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 02:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •