Thread: New XTR Pedals?

Hack Racer

New XTR Pedals?

Just wondering if anyone has gotten their hands on the new new Shimano PD-M970 Clipless Pedals yet...

Old 959s weighed 350g about... Shimano claims the new ones weigh 50 g lighter.

Let's not get into a discussion about egg beater vs time vs SPD in this thread. I know there are lighter, but I still prefer the SPDs.

My M520s weigh in at 415 g and I love them, but weight is weight.

Illuminati
    I'm curious as look identical to 959s.

thecentralscrutinizer
    We still don't know what materials were used in them either.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5

the train keeps rollin

Got them...

I picked up a pair on EBAY. The weight in at 326 grams, claimed is 325, not bad.. There's a gram of lube on them

I only have 3 rides on them, but they perform just like all the spds I've had in the past 737, and 747.. Basically they skinny'd down the pedal some, looks like the axel lost some weight, and the body is a little smaller compared to their last model..

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Is it a hollow steel axel or a massive one. Maybe you can save extra weight with a titanium axel. This could bring them under 300 gram. When I can reach this weight I ditch the Eggbeaters and go back to SPD.

Hack Racer
    you mean adapt the wellago ti spindles on?

Compulsive Bike Builder

Action Tec Ti Spindles

Action Tech makes Ti Spindle for the M970 and we have them in stock in anticipation of the demand for that product. The M970 uses the same spindle as the M858 and M747, as well as some Ultegra pedals.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

the train keeps rollin

What's the savings?

How many grams do you knock off with the actiontec spindles?

Compulsive Bike Builder

No number yet, but...

Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    How many grams do you knock off with the actiontec spindles?
    I dont have any of those pedals to compare. These spindles are half the weight of steel spindles, and probably comparable to other spindles in size and weight, so if you know the weight of any steel spindle, the weight savings will be roughly half of that.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

Hack Racer
    At action tec homepage

price for SPD M959, $76.55, product number, 1183

E.L.S. Titanium Pedal Spindles

With half the weight of steel, our titanium pedal spindles are an easy way to lose a little weight. We currently make Shimano, Time and WTB pedal spindles. Easy to install. Weight: 57 - 73 gr/pair.

Problem is it doesn't say anywhere on the website what the max rider weight is for the Ti spindles...

dutchie
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    I picked up a pair on EBAY. The weight in at 326 grams, claimed is 325, not bad.. There's a gram of lube on them

I only have 3 rides on them, but they perform just like all the spds I've had in the past 737, and 747.. Basically they skinny'd down the pedal some, looks like the axel lost some weight, and the body is a little smaller compared to their last model..

What colour are they? darkish gray, like the old xtr series, or black. The pic doesn't show this to well.

I'm looking for a high end black spd pedal, i like the 959's (got 3 pairs of those). I'm seriously considering disassembling one of those and have them anodize or painted. I just holding of till I get a clear answer on the color of the new xtr pedal.

Thanks in advance.
    richard

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    At action tec homepage

price for SPD M959, $76.55, product number, 1183

E.L.S. Titanium Pedal Spindles

With half the weight of steel, our titanium pedal spindles are an easy way to lose a little weight. We currently make Shimano, Time and WTB pedal spindles. Easy to install. Weight: 57 - 73 gr/pair.

Problem is it doesn't say anywhere on the website what the max rider weight is for the Ti spindles...
    Those pedal spindles look a lot like the spindles for the old 747s I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis rides Scott
    When I can reach this weight I ditch the Eggbeaters and go back to SPD.
    Just curious Dennis, what did you not like about the eggbeaters besides their long spindles?

mtbr member
    titanium is about 3x stronger than steel so if you can ride on steel spindles you'll be more than fine on Ti.
    Darkness warshed over the Dude--darker'n a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night.

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mthedude
    titanium is about 3x stronger than steel so if you can ride on steel spindles you'll be more than fine on Ti.
    who told you that. If you are assuming that you are completely wrong!

In General Ti is 1/2 as stiff as steel, but half the density.
    So if you make the spindle the same size and compared Ti and Steel, the ti one will be 1/2 the weight but bend 2X more.

Specifically,

For Titanium Ti-6Al-2Nb-1Ta-1Mo (which I think is the strongest Ti alloy commonly available, which is also frigging expensive)
    Tensile Strength, Yield 730 MPa
    Hardness, Brinell 290
    Modulus of Elasticity 113.8 GPa

For 4340 Chromoly (which I think is what most pedal spindles are made from)
    Tensile Strength, Yield 1165 MPa
    Hardness, Brinell 363
    Modulus of Elasticity 205 GPa

So no, one of the strongest Ti alloys does not beat one of the most common chromoly alloys around. And I chose that Ti alloy because this is the weight weenie forum with money is almost no object to some.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    who told you that. If you are assuming that you are completely wrong!

In General Ti is 1/2 as stiff as steel, but half the density.
    So if you make the spindle the same size and compared Ti and Steel, the ti one will be 1/2 the weight but bend 2X more.

Specifically,

For Titanium Ti-6Al-2Nb-1Ta-1Mo (which I think is the strongest Ti alloy commonly available, which is also frigging expensive)
    Tensile Strength, Yield 730 MPa
    Hardness, Brinell 290
    Modulus of Elasticity 113.8 GPa

For 4340 Chromoly (which I think is what most pedal spindles are made from)
    Tensile Strength, Yield 1165 MPa
    Hardness, Brinell 363
    Modulus of Elasticity 205 GPa

So no, one of the strongest Ti alloys does not beat one of the most common chromoly alloys around. And I chose that Ti alloy because this is the weight weenie forum with money is almost no object to some.

Sorry, mixed up Steel and Aluminum, yes, steel is stronger in tensile strength.
    Darkness warshed over the Dude--darker'n a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    They are too loose, I like the more firm fealing of spd. And the eggbeaters damage my shoes. Actualy I ordered a set of Exustar spd's to test. Maybe my Eggbeater Ti will have to go.

Members who have read this thread: 0