mtbr member
    Nov 2012

New XC Cockpit options

Looking for some options for the cockpit of a new XC rig.

I really like running uniform cockpits (maybe i'm OCD).

But I need Bars, Seatpost and Stem. I would like to stay light, but good quality, while not getting too crazy expensive.

I've had easton EC70 on my last rig and really like their stuff.
    Also have run Specialized S-Works bars/post before and like them.

So far the options i've been looking at are:

S-works bars/post and Specialized SL Stem

Easton EC70 (as i know i like them and they're decently light/affordable)

Kind of looked at Raceface Next SL stuff, not sure how good it is though.

MAYBE Enve... but their bars are 30g heavier than most others on the market and the posts/stems are EXPENSIVE.

Any more Suggestions?
    SOLD 2015 Epic Expert WC (New bike in the works)
    Niner Air 9 Rigid SS

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    I'm selling an S-Works bar and stem combo that was a take off from a 2016 bike. PM me for details.

As for other alternatives, there are some great boutique brands (Schmolke, MCFK) but the pricing is ridiculous. I think Easton is a solid choice as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Syntace?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Phlegm i PMd you.
    I'm not wanting any of the boutique brands. I'm not necessarily trying to save every single possible gram. Just want light stuff that just plain works. (For example i dont want to get beat up by some carbon seatpost just because it's light.)

Didn't think about Syntace. That's a good option right there.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    A little bit expensive but lighter: Tune

mtbr member
    I tried a few different brands of carbon bars...and they didn't feel too different to me. They were pretty much the same flat bar with about 9 degrees of sweep. I'm currently using the Enve SWP bar (cut to 720mm) with a Syntace Flatforce stem (66mm). My trail bike runs a Enve RSR with a Syntace Megaforce stem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm similar to you. Like to keep things matching. Can't bring myself to shell out for the boutique stuff. My go to's
    -Syntace
    -Easton
    -Ritchey
    I don't love the Ritchey seatpost for some reason that I can't remember. So that usually means Easton because it can usually be found on closeout deals.

Syntace if I am happy to shell out because their P6 HiFlex seatpost transforms a bike's comfort even if it is a touch heavier. I love Syntace stems too. They have the F109 for light, and the FlatForce to tune fit if needed. Their bars a great quality carbon with good touches like titanium mesh at clamp zones to stop crushing carbon.

ups and downs
    Race Face Next SL are nice products and Race Face owns Easton these days (and Fox owns them both), so there is a lot of product cross marketing. The Next SL seatpost available in 27.2, 30.9 and 31.6mm is nice and comfy, and has a 2 bolt clamp system. The 35mm Next SL bars are much lighter than their older 31.8mm bars (only 180gms for a 760mm wide bar), even in wider sizes and are superbly comfortable. The Turbine 35mm stem is fairly light. And it matches up nicely when you put Next SL cranks on your ride. And the graphics are available in different colours or low key grey.

https://www.raceface.com/products/de...t-sl-seatposts

https://www.raceface.com/products/details/turbine-r-35

https://www.raceface.com/products/de...rbine-35-stems

https://www.raceface.com/products/de...10mm-rise-bars
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Elitest thrill junkie
    I have the older next SLs that were like 720mm. Apart from being too skinny, they are good bars. I have some crack-brothers 780 carbon bars on my fatbike and the layup kind of scares me with how thin it is and the fact that it's not even. They are light though.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Race Face Next SL are nice products and Race Face owns Easton these days (and Fox owns them both), so there is a lot of product cross marketing. ...
    Had no idea, very interesting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    How does the Niner RDO stuff fare weight wise with some of these other options?

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I pretty much stick with Thomson for seatposts. It's hard to find a better $ / g for a mainstream brand, the machining is top quality and most carbon posts are heavier.

Wren for light stems and Easton or RF for bars.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    I pretty much stick with Thomson for seatposts. It's hard to find a better $ / g for a mainstream brand, the machining is top quality and most carbon posts are heavier.

Wren for light stems and Easton or RF for bars.
    I like Thomson products, but most carbon posts are not heavier. You made a fairly broad statement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    I like Thomson products, but most carbon posts are not heavier. You made a fairly broad statement.
    looking up the weights... they are pretty good. But not lighter than any carbon post i've ever used.
    How do they ride though??? THAT is the question as i've had some pretty impressive carbon posts...
    It's not ALL about the weight if it beats you up along the trail.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid SS

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    How does the Niner RDO stuff fare weight wise with some of these other options?
    it really compares pretty well. Thought about their stuff as well. I have a base level niner carbon post and like it alright, it's just HEAVY and this bike i'm building will be a race bike so i'd prefer to save weight if possible.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid SS

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Race Face Next SL are nice products and Race Face owns Easton these days (and Fox owns them both), so there is a lot of product cross marketing. The Next SL seatpost available in 27.2, 30.9 and 31.6mm is nice and comfy, and has a 2 bolt clamp system. The 35mm Next SL bars are much lighter than their older 31.8mm bars (only 180gms for a 760mm wide bar), even in wider sizes and are superbly comfortable. The Turbine 35mm stem is fairly light. And it matches up nicely when you put Next SL cranks on your ride. And the graphics are available in different colours or low key grey.

https://www.raceface.com/products/de...t-sl-seatposts

https://www.raceface.com/products/details/turbine-r-35

https://www.raceface.com/products/de...rbine-35-stems

https://www.raceface.com/products/de...10mm-rise-bars
    I COMPLETELY forgot about that! Since i like easton so much, maybe i will give race face a try... now if i can only get some of those cranks within my budget!
    Niner Air 9 Rigid SS

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti View Post
    I'm similar to you. Like to keep things matching. Can't bring myself to shell out for the boutique stuff. My go to's
    -Syntace
    -Easton
    -Ritchey
    I don't love the Ritchey seatpost for some reason that I can't remember. So that usually means Easton because it can usually be found on closeout deals.

Syntace if I am happy to shell out because their P6 HiFlex seatpost transforms a bike's comfort even if it is a touch heavier. I love Syntace stems too. They have the F109 for light, and the FlatForce to tune fit if needed. Their bars a great quality carbon with good touches like titanium mesh at clamp zones to stop crushing carbon.
    I might into syntace as well. they're expensive though, that's for sure.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid SS

mtbr member
    I had some Thomson posts...they all felt like jackhammers on a hardtail...especially aluminum ones. I'm using the P6 HiFlex now...will not ever use a different rigid post again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I had some Thomson posts...they all felt like jackhammers on a hardtail...especially aluminum ones. I'm using the P6 HiFlex now...will not ever use a different rigid post again.
    Exactly what I wanted to know.
    I'm building up a hardtail, so i would like a good flexy post to save my butt haha.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid SS

Epic rider
    Have a look at Newmen components too. (Guys who used to work at Syntace)
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrich88 View Post
    it really compares pretty well. Thought about their stuff as well. I have a base level niner carbon post and like it alright, it's just HEAVY and this bike i'm building will be a race bike so i'd prefer to save weight if possible.
    For sure. I snagged an RDO bar and stem off Jenson for $100 each, and an RDO seatpost used for $100. The RDO post has a lot of flex, the bars and stem do not. It's a really nice combo IMO, and lighter than my Thomson bar/stem combo and the RDO post is way lighter than my Thomson Elite post. Ride quality isn't even a fair comparison. The RDO is in another universe with ride quality compared to the Thomson.

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrich88 View Post
    Exactly what I wanted to know.
    I'm building up a hardtail, so i would like a good flexy post to save my butt haha.
    Look at an Kent Erikson Ti Seatpost. super comfy, tough, light.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    Look at an Kent Erikson Ti Seatpost. super comfy, tough, light.
    $260

viva la v-brakes!
    $260
    Similar price to carbon, and in this case you'll never need to buy another one. Mine is 8 years old and still rocking.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    Similar price to carbon, and in this case you'll never need to buy another one. Mine is 8 years old and still rocking.
    Nothing against Ti, or any particular material, but the OP stated some budget limits and I suspect $260 is beyond it.

BTW, your example is heavier and more costly than most carbon posts (Specialized S-Works carbon post - $180). Also, Ti fatigues like all metal, especially in a one-side-clamped length subject to moving weight at the other end (seatpost). The concept of Ti lasts forever, and carbon is waffle-cone brittle is an outdated concept.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nothing against Ti, or any particular material, but the OP stated some budget limits and I suspect $260 is beyond it.

BTW, your example is heavier and more costly than most carbon posts (Specialized S-Works carbon post - $180). Also, Ti fatigues like all metal, especially in a one-side-clamped length subject to moving weight at the other end (seatpost). The concept of Ti lasts forever, and carbon is waffle-cone brittle is an outdated concept.
    Yeah thats WAYYYY more expensive than any carbon post i'm looking at.

I'm actually narrowing it down to probably sworks parts or easton EC70.
    Seems that the race face stuff is very similar to the Easton EC70, just significantly more expensive.

Syntace is expensive and enve is of course expensive. Niner is great stuff but idk that i can bring myself to put Niner components on a Specialized frame lol. So i think i'm just going to stick with what i know and go with Easton (unless i find some crazy deal on sworks stuff and they release bars wider than 700mm). It's light, comfortable and affordable, and it's what i am used to.

I do think that i've gotten some great options for things to piece together for my next high end build though. That Syntace P6 sounds outstanding.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid SS