mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well New wheels, heavier than I had hoped

I just got a brand new xtr/717 disk wheelset (xtr ceterlock hub) and they come it at 1690g/pr w/o rim strips or tape. I was hoping for at least 100g lighter than that... Oh well, at least I know they are rock solid wheels. BTW, they are quality wheelhouse wheels. The advertised weight was 1560g. My current Cane Creek Wam Team Ti spoke wheels are 1692g a pair (v-brake). I hoped the lighter disk wheels would offset the weight gain of disk brakes. My current brakes are avid-ti's w/ pauls levers.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

which spokes?

I have been considering building that same wheelset myself, but would like to have disc wheels closer to 1600g flat. What spokes did you use?

I would like to hand build mine with (double butted) dt revolutions (2.0-1.5) and alloy nipples.

Did your build come with straight guage spokes or steel nipples? That would e a potential area of weight savings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    I just got a brand new xtr/717 disk wheelset (xtr ceterlock hub) and they come it at 1690g/pr w/o rim strips or tape. I was hoping for at least 100g lighter than that... Oh well, at least I know they are rock solid wheels. BTW, they are quality wheelhouse wheels. The advertised weight was 1560g. My current Cane Creek Wam Team Ti spoke wheels are 1692g a pair (v-brake). I hoped the lighter disk wheels would offset the weight gain of disk brakes. My current brakes are avid-ti's w/ pauls levers.

BM
    1690 gr. with or without skewers?

Do It Yourself
    Sounds about right based off published weights:

XTR M965 Front hub w/o qr: 150g
    XTR M965 Rear hub w/o qr: 310g
    Mavic 717: 395g (although I thought they had beefied them up a bit to prevent the cracking eyelets)
    DT Comp 14 (64x264mm): 382g
    Alloy nipples (64x12mm): 20g

That all comes out to about 1650g so maybe some dislexic person at QBP transposed the middle numbers. No way that's going to come in at 1560g unless they cherry picked the rims and used Revolution spokes. Since your's came out a bit above the estimate, I would guess your rims came in a bit heavier than Mavic's published numbers.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Weight w/o skewers

2.0/1.8 spokes, 32- 3X, Al nipples

And after double checking, I guess it turns out that I was the one being dislexic. The advertised weight is 752f/910r= 1662 so they are ony 28g over. Don't know what I was thinking, maybe I looked at the weight for a different wheel by mistake.

I really wanted are the DT XR1540's but damn are they expensive, even wholesale, nearly twice what I paid for my current wheels.

BM

mtbr member
    IF they messed up the advertised weight (and you have the advertisment)- take em back and say this isnt what I wanted... 20g to 30g over weight in a wheelset is what I'd call acceptable but 100g? We have very strong false advertising rules in Australia- not sure if it's the same there.

The weights have all the same number so either you messed up, or they did (which is quiet possable). Check it out further.

Also why the DT Compeition spokes? Unless you are a heavy weight like myself they probably aren't needed, DT Swiss Super comps are 64pcs / 320g. I have been using supper comps on disc wheelsets for ages with out troubles and I'm 187lbs (was 213lbs previously).
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

mtbr member
    I usually float between 190 and 200. I'd like to get down to aroudn 180-185 but personal disipline constantly interferres (ate a monster brownie smothered in hot fudge and a huge scoop of ice cream on top last night before bed. It would have had an equally impressive mound of redi-whip on top but we are out). So, super light weight is not for me, but resonably light and strong (I also don't have the funds or connections for constant repairs/replacement parts) is what I look for in bike parts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    I usually float between 190 and 200. I'd like to get down to aroudn 180-185 but personal disipline constantly interferres (ate a monster brownie smothered in hot fudge and a huge scoop of ice cream on top last night before bed. It would have had an equally impressive mound of redi-whip on top but we are out). So, super light weight is not for me, but resonably light and strong (I also don't have the funds or connections for constant repairs/replacement parts) is what I look for in bike parts.

......................................SO MUCH FOR TODAYS DIET!............................................

.................................................. ......PEACE....................................... ......................

mtbr member
    If your wheels weighed twice as much, you would only have to put in about 1/2% more energy on a climb so really how much we talkin here in real world? When things get light then you have flex which takes energy away from the direction in which you are trying to apply it so t

Members who have read this thread: 0