Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ctracer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    268

    new weight ideas

    using cost to weight savings, what can you guys come up w/ to save a few grams off my rig?

    tires are pretty non-negotiable, as is the fork

    Model 2005 Titus Racer X 100 Weight (g)

    Bottle Cage Avenir 53
    Bottle Cage Bolts in frame
    Bottom Bracket FSA K-Force bearing cups in crankset
    Brake Levers Magura Marta SL included below
    Rear Brakes Magura Marta SL 364
    Front Brakes Magura Marta SL 344
    Cables Nokian 90
    Cassette Shimano Dura-Ace 12-27 175
    Chain Sram 89R Hollowpin 162
    Crankset FSA K-Force 20-31/42 boone 20/31 44 stock 820
    Derailleur (Front) Shimano XTR 960 128
    Derailleur (Rear) Sram X.O 207
    Fork Fox 100X 1633
    Frame 05 Titus Racer X 100 2612
    Grips Yeti cut down 30
    Handlebar Ritchey WCS Oversize 124
    Headset Chris King NoThreadset 117
    Headset Bolts/Caps Chris King included above
    Headset Spacers Carbon Fiber 15
    Pedals Crank Bros Eggbeater Triple Ti 185
    Quick Releases Ringle Ti Sticks 73
    Seat Binder Titus stock in frame
    Saddle Selle Italia SLR Ti tuned 112
    Seatpost Easton EC90 31.6x400 196
    Shifters Sram X.O 171
    Stem Ritchey WCS Oversize 110x 6 degree 112
    Tire (Front) Schwalbe RR/NN 470 (?)
    Tire (Rear) Schwalbe RR/NN 470 (?)
    Tubes Stan's Sealant 140
    Wheelset 1450
    -Hubs Chris King ISO
    -Spokes DT Revolution 1.8/1.5/1.8
    -Nipples Alloy
    -Rims Stan's Olympic Disc
    -Valve Cores stock

    Totals
    Weight in grams 10253
    Weight in pounds 22.6

  2. #2
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,019
    I think you have found the point of where to stop. Stop upgrading, start riding. Your bike is good. Don't let yourself be talked into upgrading, it's not possible. Buy a wider handlebar though and your bike will be faster. Salsa Pro Moto Carbon if you're really paranoid about weight.

    Within the capacities of today's market and the size of your wheels, you have reached the optimum. Congrats on an awesome bike. Ride it, and ride it hard. Enough with the foolishness. I love weightweeniesm, and love good bikes, but please tell me you're just posting your specs to show off and hear remarks like mine. Not that you are obsessively re-setting your weight targets. First 24lb, now 10kg? Stop tight here, you built a dream bike. Ride!
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

  3. #3
    I <3 29ers
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,940
    Go SS.

    I'm with Cloxxki - RIDE!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by ctracer01
    using cost to weight savings, what can you guys come up w/ to save a few grams off my rig?

    tires are pretty non-negotiable, as is the fork

    Model 2005 Titus Racer X 100 Weight (g)

    Bottle Cage Avenir 53
    Bottle Cage Bolts in frame
    Bottom Bracket FSA K-Force bearing cups in crankset
    Brake Levers Magura Marta SL included below
    Rear Brakes Magura Marta SL 364
    Front Brakes Magura Marta SL 344
    Cables Nokian 90
    Cassette Shimano Dura-Ace 12-27 175
    Chain Sram 89R Hollowpin 162
    Crankset FSA K-Force 20-31/42 boone 20/31 44 stock 820
    Derailleur (Front) Shimano XTR 960 128
    Derailleur (Rear) Sram X.O 207
    Fork Fox 100X 1633
    Frame 05 Titus Racer X 100 2612
    Grips Yeti cut down 30
    Handlebar Ritchey WCS Oversize 124
    Headset Chris King NoThreadset 117
    Headset Bolts/Caps Chris King included above
    Headset Spacers Carbon Fiber 15
    Pedals Crank Bros Eggbeater Triple Ti 185
    Quick Releases Ringle Ti Sticks 73
    Seat Binder Titus stock in frame
    Saddle Selle Italia SLR Ti tuned 112
    Seatpost Easton EC90 31.6x400 196
    Shifters Sram X.O 171
    Stem Ritchey WCS Oversize 110x 6 degree 112
    Tire (Front) Schwalbe RR/NN 470 (?)
    Tire (Rear) Schwalbe RR/NN 470 (?)
    Tubes Stan's Sealant 140
    Wheelset 1450
    -Hubs Chris King ISO
    -Spokes DT Revolution 1.8/1.5/1.8
    -Nipples Alloy
    -Rims Stan's Olympic Disc
    -Valve Cores stock

    Totals
    Weight in grams 10253
    Weight in pounds 22.6
    Is your bike is built up to these spec's? alot of these weights look to be from WW or are they from a scale ?? Have you weighed the complete bike and it is only 22.6 ??
    If your FS is truly 22.6 lbs I would just ride the H$LL out of it! I am In the process of building my Racer X and it is coming in at 23..6 lbs / 10700 plus grams and I have a lighter wheel set and fork, so that why I ask if these weights are estimates or real??
    They don't seem to add up ?? My thoughts are that this bike weighs 24 lbs not 22.6 ??

    Regardless of what it weighs it is a super nice build, enjoy and ride ride ride !
    Last edited by Spin Cycle; 02-12-2006 at 07:20 PM.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ctracer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    268
    all these weights are accurate, weighed myself, except for the tires but those have always been accurate from schwalbe.

    thanks for the responses guys, about the last thing i expected on this forum. i'm not worried at all about it but i was just wondering if anyone had some good ideas for some cheaper savings

    and yes i like to show off my bike : )

    and yes, i ride the heck out of it

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    651

    Here's a few thoughts ....

    Quote Originally Posted by ctracer01
    all these weights are accurate, weighed myself, except for the tires but those have always been accurate from schwalbe.

    thanks for the responses guys, about the last thing i expected on this forum. i'm not worried at all about it but i was just wondering if anyone had some good ideas for some cheaper savings

    and yes i like to show off my bike : )

    and yes, i ride the heck out of it
    I use Cinelli gel bar tape it's Light, cheap and you can color match to add a little bling, also if you use bar ends I have a set of Tune bar ends that I would part with since I don't use bar ends anymore. Goodridge braided brake lines you can get colored lines and/ or colored fittings -

    http://www.goodridge.net/usa/mountainbike.htm

    Colored nipples cheap and just do it one at a time and no problem

    Tune / Frm skewers not cheap but you are at point in your build that to save any addtional weigh is going to be hard on the wallet !!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ctracer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    268
    how do you wrap your bar tape? i''ve wrapped it as tight as i can (albeit i did double wrap) but i can't get it to not slip off the end. i'm trying foam grips, if that doesn't work i'm gonna have another go at tape.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by ctracer01
    how do you wrap your bar tape? i''ve wrapped it as tight as i can (albeit i did double wrap) but i can't get it to not slip off the end. i'm trying foam grips, if that doesn't work i'm gonna have another go at tape.
    I put the piece that come cut to use around the hood on road bars flat between the brake lever and the end and them single wrap it ( gel tape is thicker ), I use 1/2 of the roll on each side, then I follow the parktools info ;

    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=71

    start on the end use some electrical tape wraped on the bar with the stickie side out and wrap it bar end to the controls and wrap it front ot back so if you turn your hands like you were turning the throttle on a motorcycle you would tighten the tape( see park web site)
    then use tape at the control side. If you likeit thicker use two strips under the single wrap of tape.For me and I have big hands one wrap of the thicker gel tape is awesome!!

  9. #9
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,019
    Start the double wrap ont he inside of the bar, wrap outward. Exactly till the tape is halfway over the edge of the bar, and then back again. It does make the end really thick/ugly, but if you turn around sooner, you'll notice the thickness difference, and I can tell you it sucks.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •