chips & bier

New tubeless wheetset...Q's

I've made a choice regarding hubs, lacing patterns, etc., but one thing I'm still lying awake about: what rim to use. Currently I'm thinking the following:

1. Mavic X717 Disc w/ Eclipse kit
    2. DT X4.1d w/ DT swiss tubeless kit
    3. Mavic XM819

What I would like to know is: which of these options could I use with both UST and regular tires? I'll be using a bit of latex-solution to be more flat-proof, but which rim/strip combo will hold regular tires on the rim properly?

FYI, I'm pretty hard on tires and such, but prefer higher pressures. Currently I ride latex tubes @3.2 - 3.5 bar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    I've made a choice regarding hubs, lacing patterns, etc., but one thing I'm still lying awake about: what rim to use. Currently I'm thinking the following:
    what did you chose for hubs/lacing patterns. I'm curious because I'm getting ready to spec my new wheelset

thanks

banned

Eclipse: regular and UST tires

the Eclipse Tubelesskit as well as the DT kit (both the same anyway!) can be used with regular and UST tires.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

no problems with options 2 & 3

I have the XR4.1d with eclipse kit and the x3.1 (now x819) and they are pretty equivalent. I prefer the natural tubelessness of the x3.1, but don't like the reverse threaded eyelets. The XR4.1d requires a rimstrip which has the nice features of filling latex through the stem and very simple removal of stem in case you need to put a tube in there. The downside of both of these is the somewhat narrow width which compromises the performance of 2.1" tires and makes them more sensitive to pressure. I think these XC rims, especially the super narrow X717, are designed more for 1.9" tires in mind, but those have been proven to roll slower and are out of vogue. If you can find a rim with equivalent weight, but wider than these then I'd go for that (VXC??). That is one huge benefit of the shimano wheels - they are tubeless and nice and wide (although expensive and not exactly light).

I've made a choice regarding hubs, lacing patterns, etc., but one thing I'm still lying awake about_: what rim to use. Currently I'm thinking the following:

1. Mavic X717 Disc w/ Eclipse kit
    2. DT X4.1d w/ DT swiss tubeless kit
    3. Mavic XM819

What I would like to know is: which of these options could I use with both UST and regular tires? I'll be using a bit of latex-solution to be more flat-proof, but which rim/strip combo will hold regular tires on the rim properly?

FYI, I'm pretty hard on tires and such, but prefer higher pressures. Currently I ride latex tubes @3.2 - 3.5 bar.
    M

chips & bier

Thanks to all, plus answers for ashwinearl

The rim width issue is a good point, but I haven't had problems with 2.1" tires yet. Maybe next season (2.2" Nokians) I may look at things differently, but as of yet I'm happy with my 317's.

Regarding the lacing, I'll be doing the following:

1. Front DT Comp discside, DT Revolution non-disc.
    2. Rear DT Comp driveside, DT Revolution disc-side.

Nipples will be alloy. Hubs will be DT Swiss 240s. I was trying to decide between Hope, King and a pair of DT's, as I know how to service all of them. Being a poor student ( ) and having to scrape cakes of gunk out of a King last week, I though in my case it might be a little over the top. A set of Hopes with titanium freehub body is just as expensive as a DT 240s, the latter being much easier to pull apart, so I figured that leaves me only choice...

For me the main issue is reliability, as I only race endurance events. This will be my 'easy course' wheelset, so I may just decide to use DT Revo's on the front discside, too. I actually don't think it will be too much of an issue, as I won't be using my 185 mm 'Alpine' rotor on this front wheel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The rim width issue is a good point, but I haven't had problems with 2.1" tires yet. Maybe next season (2.2" Nokians) I may look at things differently, but as of yet I'm happy with my 317's.

Regarding the lacing, I'll be doing the following:

1. Front DT Comp discside, DT Revolution non-disc.
    2. Rear DT Comp driveside, DT Revolution disc-side.

Nipples will be alloy. Hubs will be DT Swiss 240s. I was trying to decide between Hope, King and a pair of DT's, as I know how to service all of them. Being a poor student ( ) and having to scrape cakes of gunk out of a King last week, I though in my case it might be a little over the top. A set of Hopes with titanium freehub body is just as expensive as a DT 240s, the latter being much easier to pull apart, so I figured that leaves me only choice...

For me the main issue is reliability, as I only race endurance events. This will be my 'easy course' wheelset, so I may just decide to use DT Revo's on the front discside, too. I actually don't think it will be too much of an issue, as I won't be using my 185 mm 'Alpine' rotor on this front wheel.
    Sounds nice,

What lacing pattern are you leaning towards. Anything fancy like radial on the front or non-drive side or 1x, or are you going the tried and true 3x everywhere?

thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Any UST rim can be used with convential tire and tube combos, including the Mavics.

chips & bier

Tried and true 3x

In my experience most spokes break at the head or thread. Since both the sections are the same on Revos and Comps, I don't think there will be a signficant strength loss in going Revos for a disc wheelset, especially when using 3x lacing.

Funky lacing such as radial, 1x or even 2x has one drawback (if my mechanics theory serves me correctly): a higher load on the spokes. Regardless of what spoke type you use, the stress risers near the head & thread will be greater. So, my preference is using thin spokes laced 3x, rather than Comps laced 2x or less.

That said, Mavic used 2x lacing on their ('02/'03) CrossRide disc wheels without much trouble. These were 24-spoke wheelsets using normal (not straight-pull) spokes, so I think you'd still be all-right going 2x Revo non-drive/non-disc if you're around 145 lbs. or less.

The advantage less crossing offers is - aside from a small weight difference - a greater lateral stiffness. This isn't really an issue to me with discs (no brake rub, eh?), so I just don't bother. I've also had trouble keeping radially spokes wheels with non-aero rims true for any amount of time.

A couple of build suggestions that might be interesting:

1. If you're easy on wheels and quite light, full Revos shouldn't be a problem. Even 2 x front non-disc. I know quite a few bigger guys who do it, too.
    2. Wheelsmith offers 2.0/1.7 spokes - a tad lighter than 2.0/1.8 DT Competitions. A good substitute in my mind.
    3. A full set of DT SuperComps saves quite some weight over DT Comps. However, they use 1.8 mm threads (argh), which many shops here don't have nipples for.
    4. Scary thought: how about mixing DT SuperComps (2.0/1.7/1.8) with 1.8/1.5 DT Revolutions on the non-disc/non-drive side? All 3x, of course.