Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    6x7=Dont Panic!

New Titanium Cranks

I was checking out XACD's new products page, and apparently they are now manufacturing titanium cranks and chainrings. I don't know the prices or weights yet, but I have emailed them. Does anyone on this board actually ride their stuff?
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

What's the website address?

Want to check these out! What's the website address?

newbie boobie.
    Yeah... tell us more Mr.

It's either those or those Eastern three pieces...

I need some Ti cranks...
    It ain't easy being human.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    XACD, go to the New Products page.
    Herro prease

nightriding is fun !
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    I was checking out XACD's new products page, and apparently they are now manufacturing titanium cranks and chainrings. I don't know the prices or weights yet, but I have emailed them. Does anyone on this board actually ride their stuff?
    They have been making them for a while now, but I haven't actually seen or ridden them.
    I have a frame and a seatpost made by Tilon and the quality is OK.
    Basically they will make anything out of titanium for you, you provide the drawings , they provide the gear.
    Titanium or Bust !

newbie boobie.
    They look like they are XTR splined?

nightriding is fun !
    Quote Originally Posted by donkekus
    They look like they are XTR splined?
    Could be, hard to tell but I'm guessing the ones pictured are ISIS .
    They also have titanium spiders and other gear. Like I said. "Basically they will make anything out of titanium for you, you provide the drawings , they provide the gear."
    Titanium or Bust !

mtbr member
    They seem to notoriously neglect to list weights of their parts......... How's to to help my fantacies if I can't tell how much those parts weigh? They seem to have a good selection..

Has everyone forgotten aobut propeller ti cranks? I heard sime buzz on the internet maybe like a year or more ago, and nothing since. Maybe because back then most of the buzz was about how it took more than 6 months for people to get thier cranks delivered.

http://www.fly-sports.com/products/cranks.html
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    They seem to notoriously neglect to list weights of their parts......... How's to to help my fantacies if I can't tell how much those parts weigh? They seem to have a good selection..

Has everyone forgotten aobut propeller ti cranks? I heard sime buzz on the internet maybe like a year or more ago, and nothing since. Maybe because back then most of the buzz was about how it took more than 6 months for people to get thier cranks delivered.

They exist. Try to find one, its hard. I have seen only one set, and it was broken. Cracked at the pedal threads. I'd rather spend 600-1000$ or whatever they cost elsewhere. The new extralite cranks will be cheaper no doubt and rediculously light.
    Herro prease

nightriding is fun !
    Quote Originally Posted by bmadau

Titanium parts are not among the lightest out there to start with, but if well-made they will outlast almost anything (well, except for some Morati cranks )

As an example, my 27.2 400mm Hilset (Tilon XACD) seatpost weighs 286g. And my 18.5 inch (approx) HT frame weighs 1548g.

Hilset does some Tilon parts, and you can find some weights over there.

And indeed, the shown cranks are XTR-splined.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Titanium or Bust !

6x7=Dont Panic!
    The responce was that they come in xtr or isis and the arms weigh 265g. The spider is an additional 85g. The cost is 98$ for the arms, but that is if you buy a large quantity. I dont know what the individual is yet. I still ahve not decided if I am going to order from them yet, but their stuff does look pretty good for the prices. And apparently they warranty to the original buyer (for framesets at least).
    Herro prease

nightriding is fun !
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    The responce was that they come in xtr or isis and the arms weigh 265g. The spider is an additional 85g. The cost is 98$ for the arms, but that is if you buy a large quantity. I dont know what the individual is yet. I still ahve not decided if I am going to order from them yet, but their stuff does look pretty good for the prices. And apparently they warranty to the original buyer (for framesets at least).
    Titanium doesn't look to be the best material to make cranks from, judging by the track record of both Morati and propeller.. But that spider looks nice
    Titanium or Bust !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wolf
    And my 18.5 inch (approx) HT frame weighs 1548g.
    BBW, I noticed that you have titanium brake bosses on a titanium frame.
    Did you install them yourself?

I am asking because Zen and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance said NEVER to thread titanium into titanium as it will gall and seize up, regardless of however much Ti-prep is used.

However, I emailed Merlin and they said it is fine. Just use dollops of Ti-prep.
    Hmm...

Thanks for any insight you might have into this.

I assume that you use Ti-bolts in the Ti-brake bosses as well (i.e. M6)?

-Lost81

mtbr member
    Sacrilege! Infidel! Ti is the best material for everything! My only problem is that I can't afford more of it! J/k
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

Have u seen these brakes?

Xacd...

I've been riding an XACD fork for 4 years with no problems. The quality is excellent for the price you pay. If enough people are interested we can order stuff as a group from them to reduce cost. There is a $49 shipping fee and a $25 bank fee among other expenses when dealing with them. They make the cranks in regular square taper and ISS in addition to the XTR style. I also have a set of Morati cranks that I have been riding for a while now. I bought the last retail standard set sold in the U.S. They were going out of production at the time due to a 2% failure rate. A few of them failed but the ones that didn't can be ridden for years. Guess I just got lucky.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli-Ti
    I've been riding an XACD fork for 4 years with no problems. The quality is excellent for the price you pay. If enough people are interested we can order stuff as a group from them to reduce cost. There is a $49 shipping fee and a $25 bank fee among other expenses when dealing with them. They make the cranks in regular square taper and ISS in addition to the XTR style. I also have a set of Morati cranks that I have been riding for a while now. I bought the last retail standard set sold in the U.S. They were going out of production at the time due to a 2% failure rate. A few of them failed but the ones that didn't can be ridden for years. Guess I just got lucky.
    I'd like to get the fork, but am a bit concerned as I am a larger rider (6' 170lbs w/o gear). What do you weigh? Do you know any heavier riders who ride the fork? Thanks.
    Herro prease

nightriding is fun !
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost81
    BBW, I noticed that you have titanium brake bosses on a titanium frame.
    Did you install them yourself?

I am asking because Zen and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance said NEVER to thread titanium into titanium as it will gall and seize up, regardless of however much Ti-prep is used.

However, I emailed Merlin and they said it is fine. Just use dollops of Ti-prep.
    Hmm...

Thanks for any insight you might have into this.

I assume that you use Ti-bolts in the Ti-brake bosses as well (i.e. M6)?

-Lost81
    I use a lttle bit of Ti-prep for most of my bolts, be they Ti or not. And no, I will be using standard (ss?) XTR bolts on those brakes .
    I might change them to Ti bolts if I decide to use a Ti brakebooster though as I did on my Litespeed.
    Merlin is right, I got the same answer from Moots. And people like that are in the know, I would assume
    Titanium or Bust !

newbie boobie.
    Anyone want to get a group together to order the square taper version? Any idea how large the group would have to be? And, final costs?!

mtbr member
    Depending on total price I would also like to get a square taper version.

newbie boobie.
    Looks like $98.00 + shipping.

RedMantra... you ready to start a list?!

BTW, hows the Klein? I'm trying to sell my Sobo No one has bitten yet, at it's only 2.9 pounds... argh!

mtbr member

You dont have to have a large..

quantity to get the price. I have ordered alot of stuff including custom stuff and had no probs. Just e-mail Porter will a list of what your wanting... Be very clear on your diagrams (english is a 2nd language for porter) and specs...I have had item sent to me that where not what I expected but met my specs (check out below) Remember what you order is prob what youll be stuck with b/c shipping back is $. Nothing defective yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Quote Originally Posted by donkekus
    Looks like $98.00 + shipping.

RedMantra... you ready to start a list?!

BTW, hows the Klein? I'm trying to sell my Sobo No one has bitten yet, at it's only 2.9 pounds... argh!
    Its pretty much done. I just need a fork really. That and some chainrings and a stem. I will get boone as soon as I am sure of my ratios. Syntace when I know the angle and rise. I do like the pulstar wheels, but some kings are on the way. I just cant help it! Purple of course. PITA to find! Larson got me one of if not the last purple headset from the King factory. Too bad I didn't just suck it in and get the hubs then while I still could. Maybe your sobo didnt sell for a reason. You know, like a sign you should keep it... Did you ever even ride the thing? If you want to start a list, I am in for a fork or two, and possibly a set of cranks. Way way OT, I got a matching purple ringle seatpost and nos stem. $10 and $25 in that order! It's amazing what you can find in junk bins at old shops. I hope to have it finished this month... I've had the frame since last march, so it better be before the year mark!
    Herro prease

mtbr member

List

If any one starts a list I would like to particippate...looking for a stem and seat clamp....E-mail me if it would be ok for me to participate. Thanks

Cassoulet forever !
    rjpstoked :

Your ordered this directly from XACD ?

Do you think they could make custom BB, headtube and rear dropouts out of titanium for me, if i give them a CAD file ? (it's for my carbon frame project)

I'm very interested in finding a place where i could find this pieces not too expansive.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

Recovering couch patato
    You may want to ask Boone for that, or have you already?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast