Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mateo

New Spinner Aeris Fork 2.43 lbs (1.1kg)

Anybody heard of this fork before? Looks pretty cool. I just might try it! Said to be avialable beginning of February.

Quote from Spinner dude:

"The forks should be available by Feb 1, you’ll be able to buy them through Spinner USA 650-965-4442"

The price is a bit steep though $699. I like the black color too!

http://spinner-usa.com/sf_cc.html#
    Attached Images Attached Images

A little of everything
    I can see on their website, that their fork were known under the name InSync before 2005. This is a very low end fork manufacture, whose forks were features on the cheapest mtb's. I wouldn't risk my money on this one.

Jan
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    This is a fork for my taste.. Titanium, scandium and magnesium..not exactly low end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    interesting.... I'd like to see a review first but if its really that light and works welll....

mateo
    Their site eluded to making forks for famous mfgs. My guess is that they made Rock Shox. We'll see. Hopefully they'll come down from the MSRP a couple hundred and then maybe...I just like dreaming more than anything. My other dream fork (although note weight weenie material exactly) is the Maverick SC32. That thing is cool!

mtbr member
    They are pretty low end. They make forks that mimic some of the Rockshox, and the internals are nowhere near the big brands' quality.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is a Spinner or Insync too. I think I'll keep my Fox
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    [o] Yes, Spinner makes/made higher end Rock Shox forks, mainly for OEM. They have been one of the largest OEM fork makers for many years.

Spinner Talon AERIS XC Race fork - Titanium crown, 28.6 mm scandium stanchions, scandium steerer tubes, one-piece magnesium lower, 80 mm travel, 1.1 kg (2.42 lbs).

The spots on the crown are reflections of the show hall lights. They put a high polish on the titanium!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

6x7=Dont Panic!
    In think they look great. I couldnt justify that price for that fork though. I dont see how anyone can pay much more than $500 on any xc fork. How much profit do you think is made off of each sid carbon by the manufacturer? I refuse to pay $700 for a fork for xc no mater how nice it is.
    Herro prease

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    I can see on their website, that their fork were known under the name InSync before 2005. This is a very low end fork manufacture, whose forks were features on the cheapest mtb's. I wouldn't risk my money on this one.
    yeah, low end... they've only been making rockshox's entire production for 4 years now.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mateo
    My bad! You're right I meant "alluded". I still think the fork is cool. Not sure if Ti is the best choice for a crown though. And there's no way I would pay $699.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just got my Aeris! It is 2.68 pounds right out of the box. The external construction is absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to put it on my bike...

My friend has been riding the Talon since Oct., and after the break-in period, he said it's the best riding fork he's ever owned. He was riding SID and Skareb before.

Jan
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Where?

So where can I buy this fork?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan
    So where can I buy this fork?
    Got it straight from Spinner.
    http://www.spinner-usa.com/contact.html

Jan
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Does it have a lockout? Nice if you can post some pictures also..

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yeah love to hear a review

Also on their website they mention some sort of SPUL valve, is this some sort of pedal platform/terralogic type deal?

395 Fat Tire Council

Very interesting....

It looks promising, however, not knowing anythign about it other than from the website, along with the steep price, I would be reluctant to shell out for this thing. I wonder how stif fit is? It does have the color going for it

The spul valve is basically similar to the romic/amp rear shock valve setup, and the rockshox motion control... a mechanical spring keeps the compression valving shut until oil pressure reaches a point to pop it open, and allow the fork to move.faster. Spool valves have been around for quite awhile in other applications.

Yes they have an optional push-buttom lockout for their upper version (of each model line) of forks called the pop-loc. Basically you push it down to lockout the fork, and pop it up to unlock it.

I'm selling some of the models but am still waiting on a dealer price for the Aeris, but the Talon which is their more conventionally constructed air model (think pre-carbon crown sid construction) without the scandium and titanium, and more weight (about 3.0 pounds), is $400cdn retail.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

395 Fat Tire Council
    Quote Originally Posted by WuJJ
    Just got my Aeris! It is 2.68 pounds right out of the box. The external construction is absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to put it on my bike...

My friend has been riding the Talon since Oct., and after the break-in period, he said it's the best riding fork he's ever owned. He was riding SID and Skareb before.
    But is it stiff?

Quote Originally Posted by SocalSuperhero
    But is it stiff?
    Probably marginally better than a SID... they did at least know how stiff a SID was since they make them too, and would want to be better than it. But its still a 28.6mm stanchion fork and there's just so much you can do with that size stanchion restriction to improve stiffness. Realistically, they'd have been better off going to thin walled titanium stanchions with a TiN (or other ceramic) surface coating on them, but it might have driven the price higher.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yo WuJJ .... hows it ride?

aka: SpeedyChix
    Apr 2005

Spinner Aeris

Anyone have real life ride experience with this to share?

Not a RockShox fan, always been happy with the Manitou 5/Mars/Skarebs but would like the next fork to be lighter. Going on a harttail. I'm a lighter rider so the 28.6 stanchions probably aren't an issue. The RockShox SID I rode about 5-6 years ago tho did seem 'imprecise' in its steering input.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Upset Still in development

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    Anyone have real life ride experience with this to share?

Not a RockShox fan, always been happy with the Manitou 5/Mars/Skarebs but would like the next fork to be lighter. Going on a harttail. I'm a lighter rider so the 28.6 stanchions probably aren't an issue. The RockShox SID I rode about 5-6 years ago tho did seem 'imprecise' in its steering input.

Thanks
    I've been riding a couple of preproduction Aeris prototypes and have been providing some feedback to Spinner. There are still some tuning parameters and other minor details to be ironed out, but so far, so good. I wouldn't call the fork super rigid, but it's not a complete wet noodle, either. The SPUL damper works as advertised and actually rides quite well. There is a fair amount of adjustability, but most of the tuning adjustments will have to be made with oil height/weight (external adjustments are heavy!). I'll leave the marketing up to the people at Spinner, but if you can get over the brand name and plunk down the money, you'll likely find a very capable, ultra-lightweight fork. Make no mistake, I believe this is intended to be a pure XC racing fork, but it could give the SID a run for its money.

www.angryasian.com

aka: SpeedyChix
    Apr 2005

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angryasian
    I've been riding a couple of preproduction Aeris prototypes and have been providing some feedback to Spinner. There are still some tuning parameters and other minor details to be ironed out, but so far, so good. I wouldn't call the fork super rigid, but it's not a complete wet noodle, either. The SPUL damper works as advertised and actually rides quite well. There is a fair amount of adjustability, but most of the tuning adjustments will have to be made with oil height/weight (external adjustments are heavy!). I'll leave the marketing up to the people at Spinner, but if you can get over the brand name and plunk down the money, you'll likely find a very capable, ultra-lightweight fork. Make no mistake, I believe this is intended to be a pure XC racing fork, but it could give the SID a run for its money.

www.angryasian.com
    That's what I'm looking for, this is to upgrade/lighten a hardtail that is going to be used for marathon or plus distances, XC racing (no dirt jumping here). Some of these events require extended run ups, so lighter for shouldering would be very nice. Just don't want to end up on another fork that handled like the SID. Price is a bit of a choker but it would take about .75# off vs the Skareb. Given the majority of the ride adjustment being internal, no remote bar-mount lockout? I'm the kind of rider that likes to dial in the fork to cover 80-90% of my riding and leave it alone. I'm also kinda weak on reg. maintenance, so a fork that likes to be ignored is also good (needs good seals).

You going to be doing tuning on these? A2 isn't so far away.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

more info

No remote as far as I know, but so far, I don't think one would be needed anyway. Seal quality is still to be determined, but regardless, there is NO fork that will survive without at least SOME regular maintenance so you will have to adjust your expectations in that respect.

Also, the air chamber is defined by the oil level, not by an air piston (and associated o-ring). The chamber is also quite large, so the required pressures are relatively low and reliability should be on par with Marzocchi's non-Marathon air forks.

Yup, I'll be doing tuning and service on these for sure. I'm at TWT on Sundays and Wednesday evenings (except for this Wednesday). Let me know if you want to see the fork in person and I can bring it in with me.

www.angryasian.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast