Thread: New Seatpost?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

New Seatpost?

Hey, I finally got a new bike. It's a C-dale F1000 with upgraded SRAM shifters and derailures (X.0 shifters and rear der + Sram X type front). I've still got the stock handlebar, saddle and seat post on and i was wondering what type of difference i would see in getting FSA carbon bars and seat post + selle italia slr saddle. I am mainly wondering about weight savings and i hear a rumor that carbon seatposts would give me a smoother ride and i want to know if it is true at all. Currently i've got a fsa 270 riser handlebar + a C-dale fire seatpost with a Fi'zi:k Plateau saddle.

Thanks for you help,
    Jamie

Max
    Velodramatic
    the SLR will save around 120 g. please refer to weightweenies.starbike.com for further weights.

theoretically a carbon seat post will make for a more comfortable ride, but it mainly depends on length and wall thickness of the post. but i wouldnt expect too much

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The FSA handlebar you mentioned isn't listed on weight weenies.

I think FSA uses the weight to denote the model number. On their website the XC-190 is 190 grams and the XC-280 is 280 grams. They also offer a K-Force riser bar that is 170 grams. If you bar is indeed 270 grams you could stand to gain close to 100 grams (about 0.22 pounds).

If you want even lighter, Easton makes an EC 90 SL riser bar which is 135 grams and their flat bar is only 99 grams!

Not sure about the Cannondale Fire post, guessing it will be in the high 200's if not more. Don't have any comments on feel either as I've never used a carbon seatpost, but I know roadies love them cause it damps out alot of road vibrations. I'm sure it will take some of the buzz out of the trails as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    how are you liking that X-type front derailleur? Hows it work?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    someone in the cannondale forum weight the fire post and he claim it is 215g which i think it is pretty light for a al seatpost.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

The X type

The sram X type front der is holding up quite well, much better than my old LX front. I've only had the thing for about a week, so i can't really give you a good review of the thing, but i like it a lot. The only thing is that I think it weighs about 20 gr. or so more than the Shimano XTR.