Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    banned

NEW - revised KCNC V-Brake: 174g !!!

i just got the revised KCNC VB-1 V-Brakes.

earlier pre-series samples that already circulate had the problem that the brakearms were too short. this hindered you from using tires wider than 2,0"-2.1". they also had steel hardware to fix the pads and no lever reach adjustement.

all this has been solved on the final version:
    -arms are now 98mm long just like Extralite Ultrabrakes
    -hardware is now ALL aluminium thus much lighter
    -levers got a reach adjustement bolt

the result is awesome: 174g for the set front and rear !!!!!!

levers: 48g

KCNC has done an excellent job here ! all problems of the earlier series got sorted out, the finish is awesome as well. i will get back with more detailed pictures and info later...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Twin Six METAL
    They do look great, what is the price on them?
    SpeedWorks Coaching Services
    http://www.speedworkscoaching.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    They look great. Too bad I dont use Vees.
    Light is right.

Recovering couch patato
    Shoot, and the next lightweight frame I want is definately disc-only :-(
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Ty
    mtbr member
    They listened !

Do you think those of us who paid lots of money for the first sets, with the steel hardware (that didn't even fit !!) will get a free alloy brake mount upgrade ?

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Shoot, and the next lightweight frame I want is definately disc-only :-(

No worries Cloxxki, What's a pound among 29er zealo...I mean friends.

G, Getting ready for the 4th mud race of the season...running discs!
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    i just got the revised KCNC VB-1 V-Brakes.

earlier pre-series samples that already circulate had the problem that the brakearms were too short. this hindered you from using tires wider than 2,0"-2.1". they also had steel hardware to fix the pads and no lever reach adjustement.

all this has been solved on the final version:
    -arms are now 98mm long just like Extralite Ultrabrakes
    -hardware is now ALL aluminium thus much lighter
    -levers got a reach adjustement bolt

the result is awesome: 174g for the set front and rear !!!!!!

levers: 48g

KCNC has done an excellent job here ! all problems of the earlier series got sorted out, the finish is awesome as well. i will get back with more detailed pictures and info later...
    So what's the deal? Are you off KCNC's "shite list" and back in business?
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I will wait until the Vee's become available separate, maybe never. I still have the Extralite Ultralevers, and I won't give them up. They have been great.

mtbr member
    FWIW - based on ninos advice I run a 2.4 Nobby Nic on the front for better small bump absorption and grip. With my Extralite brakes and levers I do get a little rubbing on the cable (noodle) stop on the top knobs. I've ridden like that for a bit. I might trim the nobs or wear them down so I don't hear the contact under braking.

For a race last weekend I switched to a 2.25 UST NN up front and similar Racing Ralf on the rear for added blurp, leak comfort and was fine. I certainly was able to grab a paw full of firm braking through to ceramics rims. Nothing puts parts to the test like a race.

To be fair, some of the EL brakes required the customer to machine the cable/noodle stop bracket a little for it to fit in. That was sort of pathetic.

I've read more misinformation (and disillusionment) on brakes in these forums then I care to recall It will be very interesting to hear how these hold up out of the box but also both EL's brake setup and the kcnc's long term durability.

It sounds like KCNC has been really good listening to customer reviews

banned

MORE tire clearance with the KCNC brakes!

Quote Originally Posted by Slobberdoggy
    FWIW - based on ninos advice I run a 2.4 Nobby Nic on the front for better small bump absorption and grip. With my Extralite brakes and levers I do get a little rubbing on the cable (noodle) stop on the top knobs. I've ridden like that for a bit. I might trim the nobs or wear them down so I don't hear the contact under braking.

It sounds like KCNC has been really good listening to customer reviews
    with the KCNC there is MORE tire clearance. Extralite has that cable-holder thing which has some sharp edges. it's there where your fat tire rubs against. the KCNC have this holder removable so the cables can be attached outside of the arms .his makes for a couple of millimeter bigger clearance also when the brakelevers themselves have the same lenght.

see that golden coloured cableholder which comes standard.it can be removed and the cable can be attached direct on the sides of the left brakearms. saves weight and gives more clearance as well. picture on the bike is still with the earlier,short version but you get the idea.there is no bulky aluminium thing sticking out just above the tire.

mtbr member
    Hmm . . I failed to make that observation. You are correct. That is a nice feature.

banned

well...

Quote Originally Posted by Axis II
    So what's the deal? Are you off KCNC's "shite list" and back in business?
    as you can see i'm still in the business

banned

more details...

here's more details on the new version of the KCNC VB-1 Brakeset:

-pads now weigh just 32g (were 46g before)
    -naked brakearms weigh 47,6g (were 47,2g)
    -aluminium canti-studs f+r weigh 12g

and finally shown the complete V-Brake Set consisting of:

V-Brake front+rear
    Brakelevers left+right
    4 pairs of aluminium cantilever studs (with different threads)
    2 pairs of long aluminium cantibolts
    2 pairs of short aluminium cantibolts
    2 leadpipes
    2 cableholders (golden colour)

Go faster!
    Hmmm it looks very good! It’s around 30g lighter than the previous version right? No steel hardware, better tire clearance and better leverage, they should also brake better because of this longer brake arms. Well done KCNC

Have you tested them nino? Is it the same price?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio_pt
    Hmmm it looks very good! Itís around 30g lighter than the previous version right? No steel hardware, better tire clearance and better leverage, they should also brake better because of this longer brake arms. Well done KCNC

Have you tested them nino? Is it the same price?
    no i haven't tested them yet. yes - same price.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    price per v-brake? price for a set of levers?

i saw some extralite levers and a v-brake on ebay a while back. i think the auctions ended at about $140 for one v-brake (one end) and $140 for a set of levers.
    Last edited by Kam; 08-18-2007 at 06:58 PM.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    Are the 4 canti studs normal length Look kinda short to me. Maybe I missed that in an earlier post.

banned

cantistuds...

Are the 4 canti studs normal length Look kinda short to me. Maybe I missed that in an earlier post.
    correct - these are shorter lenght to fit the KCNC brakes.

anway - the KCNC brakes are not only lighter but paired to those studs you will loose even more grams so the advantage compared to the Extralites gets even bigger!!!

usually a set of steel studs weighs about 22g/pair
    Titaniums are about 14g/pair
    regular aluminium around 12g/pair

the KCNC studs weigh 6g/pair so you can do the math on the additional savings you get by using these:
    if you already have
    aluminium studs on your bike the KCNC will save at least another 12g in studs alone
    if you have titanium studs additional savings are 16g
    if you have steel studs the savings are 32g

now have a look at the pricing as well:
    a set of extralite brakes and levers just like the KCNC costs a tremendous amount: 545 Euro compared to this sum the KCNC seem like a final sale-price

Extralite prices found on their website:
    levers: 169 euro
    v-brakes: 338 euro
    cantistuds front: 19 euro
    cantistuds rear: not available...lets put 19 euro nevertheless
    Last edited by nino; 08-19-2007 at 04:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Brakelevers seem to be a bit shorter than the ones on the Extralite levers, is this correct?

How much does a complete set (levers + brakes) cost?

@Nino, does your actual bike setup differ a lot from the specs as seen on light-bikes.com?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubert
    Brakelevers seem to be a bit shorter than the ones on the Extralite levers, is this correct?

How much does a complete set (levers + brakes) cost?

@Nino, does your actual bike setup differ a lot from the specs as seen on light-bikes.com?
    no, the levers are the same size ! see picture.

"official" price is 330 Euro for the KCNC-set....

my bike is always changing a bit depending on wheels+tires used...but all the rest is just like listed on light-bikes.com. at the moment i'm using Crossmax SLRs with Conti Speedking 2,1 supersonics.
    Last edited by nino; 08-19-2007 at 01:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Nino,

Can you tell us anything about the bearing quality used in both the brakes and levers. Do you seen any differences in long-term durability?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubert
    Nino,

Can you tell us anything about the bearing quality used in both the brakes and levers. Do you seen any differences in long-term durability?
    there is no "bearing".

but you don't have any bearings on 99% of all v-brakes and levers as well so this shouldn't affect durability at all.

as far as i know only XTR ,Avid Ultimate and Extralites have bearings on the brakes. and i can definitely tell you that the bearings on my Extralites start running rough...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    no, the levers are the same size ! see picture.

"official" price is 330 Euro for the KCNC-set....

my bike is always changing a bit depending on wheels+tires used...but all the rest is just like listed on light-bikes.com. at the moment i'm using Crossmax SLRs with Conti Speedking 2,1 supersonics.
    I think he's talking about the handlebar levers. You have not shown us the EL handlebar levers vs. the KCNC - you put a ruler next to the v-brake arm.

nino doesn't your brake line and computer wire get caught on debris? They are very far in the way. It looks ugly too. Have you thought of a wireless computer.

I have to admit I'm starting to become more convinced by this brake setup but would like a more thorough test from somebody, preferably someone who doesn't sell them and actually gets their bike dirty.

Also, it's pretty clear who Extralite is, S.R. has been in Mountain Bike Action magazine and has a pretty transparent website. Who is KCNC, where are based out of etc. etc? It sounds like they responded to complaints very fast

banned

ooops...

I think he's talking about the handlebar levers. You have not shown us the EL handlebar levers vs. the KCNC - you put a ruler next to the v-brake arm.

nino doesn't your brake line and computer wire get caught on debris? They are very far in the way. It looks ugly too. Have you thought of a wireless computer.

I have to admit I'm starting to become more convinced by this brake setup but would like a more thorough test from somebody, preferably someone who doesn't sell them and actually gets their bike dirty.

Also, it's pretty clear who Extralite is, S.R. has been in Mountain Bike Action magazine and has a pretty transparent website. Who is KCNC, where are based out of etc. etc? It sounds like they responded to complaints very fast
    i indeed forgot to add the picture. i have now attached it above....the levers have the same size than the Extralites!

sorry - no wireless for me!!! have you ever weighed your computer? mine weighs 42g including everything. most wireless computers sender on the fork alone weigh as much the Spinner fork in the picture above is NOT the fork i am usually riding with! i usually ride with a tuned SID. the Spinner was just in place for about 2 weeks when my SID lowers got new paint this spring. i didn't pay much attention to the cablemount as it got removed in just a couple of days anyway. no, i never have any poblems with my wire.

Hey Slob, my bike gets dirty!!

but i can't give a comment on performance of those brakes yet since i still haven't mounted the KCNCs.
    Last edited by nino; 08-19-2007 at 03:28 PM.

Ty
    mtbr member
    Two month report on my KCNC brake set - great ! - Zero problems

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast