Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New Orbea Oiz Carbon (Spy pics)

uuuuaaauuuuu

B3 MTB
    that is too sexy to ride... no, seriously. those butted chain stays look shady as hell.

i know its gotta be flexy for a soft-tail but... just plain scary. i'd only trust titanium to flex for that purpose. like a moots or klein.

mtbr member
    Do you have a ruler on your desk? Hold it haging more than half way off, and bend it up and down, now try ot bend it side to side (laterally). It doesn't look that flimsy to me, the upper link & seat stays will do a lot to limit torsional deflection. Of course, no one will know untill someone rides it and sees for themselves. I'd also not discount carbon as a spring/felx joint material. Composites like that make good springs. Corvette's have had fiberglass leaf springs for decades, and carbon is only stronger. Heck, now there's even a Tiawanese company making carbon fiber coil springs! (saw a photo in a euro bike mag)

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ...

1.800 grams including a RP23

SUBLIM8er
    I hope it has canti studs...BWAHAHAHA!!! Sorry, I'll go away now.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Cannondale's Scalpel used the same principle several years ago, and Orbea has been producing the aluminum oiz (which uses the same carbon stays) since late 2004.

So apparently it works just fine.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by hollerbachMTB
    that is too sexy to ride... no, seriously. those butted chain stays look shady as hell.

i know its gotta be flexy for a soft-tail but... just plain scary. i'd only trust titanium to flex for that purpose. like a moots or klein.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    that bike looks pretty sweet, but proven or not, those stays look questionable. If somebody wants to send one to me to test ride it, feel free. Ill gladly post my opinion after the ride.

B3 MTB
    yeah, i didnt think klein did Ti. BUT i saw one in the shop i work at yesterday, it was a softtail with carbon graphics on the down tube and seat stays.

alright, so carbon is a good idea. BUT just look at them!! they just look flimsy!

OBJECTION. the scalpel uses ballistics-grade nylon as it's rear triangle, AND it isnt as flat like that frame. its the same stuff in glock handguns.

so i lose on all accounts, but that frame is sooooo hot

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

So far so good !!

I rode / raced my Oiz all season and so far it one of the best handling bike bikes I have ever had. Sold of my hardtail because this bike climbs like one great overall bike . I made a few changes one I switched out the manitou type "S" w/ lock out to the spv model and even at 195 lbs I have the spv setting at the minimum of 50 psi the carbon chain stays are preloaded a bit kinda like the scapel however this frame is a horst link with the pivot on the chain stay not on the seat stay. Alos I used a Reba team set at 100mm then to 115mm at the end of the season and it really likes that just latly I have even done a few 3' foot plus drops and it still really doesn't feel like it's bottoming out. The flay stays are simmilar to the ibis design of year gone by . Overall I highly recommed it now I have to by a carbon one !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary
    Why?, carbon has far higher fatigue life and tensile strength than Ti,
    Yes and no. A higher fatigue life means nothing if you exceed the fatigue limit, and the fatigue limit is lower due to how stiff carbon fiber structures are. You're basically counting on the resin "flexing", but you get into fairly murky territory quickly. A lot of new composite aircraft (like cirrus) do not have their airframes certified for very many hours (as compared to all-metal cessnas and others). They basically have not been able to tell exactly what is going to happen in the future adaquately, due to sunlight degradation and other long term effects. 99% of the time, carbon fiber is used for it's amazing strength and stiffness, it will be strong, but it will flex little. That's usually why it's used. I'd be suspicious of it as a "pivot" material.

BTW, we had some cannondale scalpel carcasses at our shop. You'll never guess where they broke.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Chicken or egg? Moderator
    That's totally hawt. I'd ride it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brib
    1.800 grams including a RP23
    My 06 Scadium / carbon model weighs 2157grams . Thats a nice savings ~ 350 grams/ .78 lbs now I have a excuss to build a new bike this would bring my bike down to 21.25 lbs add in a few new xtr pieces and my 21 lbs goal looks bright !
    Regarding the thin stays were it flexes it has just the opposite effect with the laterial strenght the rear end never feels like it moving around I rode a rocky mt element and during hard fast braking the rear end was all over the place this bike has been great at everything it has been asked to do ! And as I posted earlier it has been off several 3 foot plus drop to level ground and on problem! Maybe time will tell to see if it starts to seperate at the bottom bracket?

Trail rider and racer
    Oh thats totally sweet. Trevor really wants one! Thats too cool indeed!
    Trev!

mtbr member

New question here. About Oiz carbon...

Hello from Greece!

This is my first post in this forum,glad to be with you!

Sports is a big part of my life,since 20+ years.I use to swim,kayak,run....
    Since one year in the world of mtb...not a very fast rider,i'm a hobbyist,but devoted to what i do...use to ride a Fuel EX 9.
    I don't do extreme things like jumps etc,more like a road rider,but in forests,mountains,a lot of climbing,and i was thinking of something with less travel,light with a ht feeling...
    I know that it's not a new model-and not a new thread-but i'm stick (but not shure) with this Orbea ....

I wanted to ask your opinion on this model,as i know Orbea is kind of popular in the States although a little expensive in EU...
    My main question is about this UFO flex system of Oiz....Specificly,how it handles the abuse of a Marathon ride?Is it fragile?I mean the shock caused by the stones against the frame etc...If i buy this i plan to keep it,so if is very "sensitive" i have to think it twice....

I would like to hear from Oiz users if it is possible...

Thanks in advance.

[SIZE="1"]Please excuse my poor English,i did my best...[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    your english is tons better than our greek! =)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dewthedru
    your english is tons better than our greek! =)
    And in many cases, better than the english of many North Americans .

mtbr member
    Thanks Guys,i observate my sentences again and again,it reminds me of school....

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Why is that hardtail pretending to be a full suspension bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    Why is that hardtail pretending to be a full suspension bike?
    Couldn't be opposite?

I mean,an fs,but stiffer,faster,with less loss,like a hardtail but without the "punishment"....i had a dillema between Oiz and Alma (from Orbea),i choose the fs.Sometimes there are very long and very hard descents,i don't risk it....maybe i'm old!!!

mtbr member
    how much rear susp does this bike offer?

i went from a firm short travel FS back to a HT with larger volume tires at low pressure... could not really tell the difference. (except for the HT being faster 90% of the time.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It has 3.5 in the back and I am pretty sure the same in the front. You do not have to much to worry about with the flex arm worse case scenario is you can buy a couple of lizard skin chain stay protectors which are made specificly for the OIZ or Scalple. Cannondale uses a similar rear chain stay minus it is thinner through out instead os a 4 inch section being flat.

I don't own a OIZ, I have an Occam Carbon and will tell you that the workmanship on the frame is top notch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbikemad
    how much rear susp does this bike offer?

i went from a firm short travel FS back to a HT with larger volume tires at low pressure... could not really tell the difference. (except for the HT being faster 90% of the time.)
    85mm,enough to take the edge (they say)...

You put me to think,you did an interesting "switch",thanks...

Go faster!
    very ugly frame, and orbea has one of the worse carbon frames of all manufacturers, fragile, low stiffness, ugly and heavy. passs!

red-headed maniac
    Dec 2006
    have the OIZ, love it.

it's an XC bike. if you want a marathon bike, get something different. If you want a bike that you can crash with rocks, get an aluminum bike.

that said, my frame has held up to a 24-hour race and some hard XC riding, so who knows.

the Occam is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. and definitely a better marathon bike IMO.
    WOO BIKES!!

mtbr member
    Guys,thanks for your answers and for your time...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast