The Riddler

New Monkeylite EC90 bar Impressions...Opinions on going from flat to riser??

What do people think about going the route of the new EC90 easton monkeylite that comes in around a claimed weight of 135grams. I can get a deal on it, so....I run a flat bar now, race XC, marathon, and dabble in 24solo,. What are the biggest differences between a flat bar, and a riser of this degree? Thanks for any help.

The Riddler
    I am considering the Maxm MX-5 low rise bar also, and its the same price I can get the CNT monkeylite for. Anyone have a comparison between the two?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Easton monkeylite sl

I am running the Easton Monkeylite SL, not the new CNT version, But I believe the mold is the same. I find that I really like the extra backsweep vs a flat bar. My wrists seem to be much more comfortable on long rides and endurance races. The width is 24" which I also like. It is wide enough to open up the chest for better breathing w/o barends, but not so wide as to make bike handling on tight tree lined trails difficult. I still ride the tops of my bar about 2" below the saddle for climbing efficiency. In the old days when I raced regular xc events I had a 22" 3 degree flat bar about five inches below the saddle-I think that position is crazy now! BTW my Monkeylite weighs 128 gms, lighter than alot of flat bars. If you can get a deal on the Easton bar, I say go for it. I have been on mine for two seasons with no problems.