mtbr member

New Gipiemme saddles?

Has anyone used the new Cobra (127g) Manga (147g), or g124 MAX (133g)? They all have Ti rails, carbon fiber shells, a center cutout, and very low claimed weights.

The website does not seem to specify whether they are suitable for mtb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGSmed
    Has anyone used the new Cobra (127g) Manga (147g), or g124 MAX (133g)? They all have Ti rails, carbon fiber shells, a center cutout, and very low claimed weights.

The website does not seem to specify whether they are suitable for mtb.

looks similar to my San Marco Era composite (128g) that I like alot. But they riveted on the rails which is better than what San Marco does... they're basically glued on, a bit sketchy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    i have a G-124 stealth i love it its actually 142 grams. its on my mtn bike i like a little longer saddle on my road bike. I did break the nose of the saddle i dont know how but even though its cracked its still holding together very very well you cant really tell unless you grab the nose and try to bend it then your like oh damn thats cracked.

where can you get these besides Italy id love to get another GITA doesn't sell them anymore. As far as i know there is no US importer of Gipiemme. Cannondale was doing wheels but thats it.

mtbr member

I got a reply back from Gipiemme:

Dear Adam
    The saddles more indicate for Mtb are Cobra and Manga and G124 Max.
    Thank you for your interest.
    Regards
    Isca Spa

Our importer is

GITA SPORTING GOODS LTD
    12500 STEELE CREED ROAD
    28273 CHARLOTTE, US

mtbr member
    I have a Gipiemme G-124 and absolutely love it. Its comfortable and light. Actual weight is 135g. I hear the reason the weight varies is because each one is hand made.

mtbr member
    Scooterman- you're right... I emailed GITA and they did tell me that they haven't carried Gipiemme for the past three years. Maybe the guy at Gipiemme who emailed me didn't know that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    hey Bender, how does your G124 compare in comfort to the regular SLR or the slightly heavier SLR trans am? Is it comparable in price?

mtbr member
    I have only seen the SLR but have not ridden it. I used to ride bontrager saddles and loved them. All were flight style with chopped off corners. I had the Hollow cromo rail version 260-270g range and bent the rails. Next I got a carbon rail version at 175g and the rails snapped. Next I had a solid TI rail version with kevlar cover at 228g and it held up great. My latest saddle is the 135g G124. I believe the rails are 7mm hollow TI as apposed to 6mm. They are holding up fine. The only other high end saddle I have ridden recently is my dads origional style Flight TI. If I remember correctly weight is under 200g. I got the gipiemme nearly new off ebay for about $60. I have yet to see another G124 but I havent been looking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a G124 stealth and love it. It fits ME perfectly; I just finnished the Trans-Rockies Challenge on it, and miraculously didn't get a single saddle sore... (still don't know how I pulled that one off!).

Last year I broke one in a hard crash, so they aren't bullet proof... But I had several crashes this year too and 0 problems...

The only beef is the fabric covering is starting to wear down, loosing the cosmetic value...

Verified weight 147g!!!! very happy with it!

Luego!
    CODMAN MCM#101

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Here is a US shop that carries them...

DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

mtbr member
    CODMAN, maybe once the fabric covering gets real bad, you could just remove it and ride on the carbon shell, just like those "tuned" Speedneedles...