mtbr member

new disc brake pads for xtr's

so i need new disc brake pads and i was wondering if there was any advantage of going with the kool stop pads, or some other none shimano company. thanks
    -Michael

mtbr member
    Kool Stop makes some pretty dam good pads - I just wish the included the hardware in their packaging - no biggy tho
    What's wrong with Shimano's stuff?

mtbr member
    i was just curious if there was an increase in stopping power or if they wore out slower. does it come with the spring mechanism thing like the xtr's do?
    -Michael

mtbr member
    The Kool Stop's seemed to last just as long as the XTR/XT/SAINT pads and stopped just as well.
    In the packaging, Kool Stop doesn't povide a spring retainer for the new set of pads - really not a big deal - you can re-use your old one
    The pads are a few $$ cheaper than the XTR 's so that's a bonus too!

mtbr member
    Go the Galfer pads!!!! I live in Australia and cannot find them here, yet I get them from the US. Last longer, better modulation than XTR and great power too! An excellent change!

By the way, has anyone tried the new Goodridge pads, they make darn cool hoses, just wanna know how the pads compare?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    For me, the Kool Stop pads eliminated 95% of the squealing I had with the stock XTR organic pads,although I felt like I lost a very small amount of stopping power(still worth it)and the pads seemed to last as long(haven't worn out yet).I'd recommend them,although Galfer is what I'm going to try on my Hope Mono M4's. Thomas

mtbr member

ditto

Quote Originally Posted by ryan123
    Go the Galfer pads!!!! I live in Australia and cannot find them here, yet I get them from the US. Last longer, better modulation than XTR and great power too! An excellent change!

By the way, has anyone tried the new Goodridge pads, they make darn cool hoses, just wanna know how the pads compare?
    Ditto to the man down under...galfers rock...that is last longer and stop better than organic (close to metal w/o noise) ...I have goodridge hoses..yet to try pads...be interested on how the rate..

Fast trails

mtbr member
    Ditto on the Goodridge hoses too! Man, you have quality taste (bit like me! I am thinking of the pads when these Galfers are dead.

Members who have read this thread: 0