Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    A lot more trq is generated by 203mm rotors. The über lightweight design would probably fail under max braking force.
    Or warp even if they don't suffer a catastrophic failure. Plus, the kind of people who mount 203s do some heavy, heavy braking that generates a lot of heat. The lack of material in these rotors suggests they won't be able to dissipate the heat quickly enough to keep the pistons from overheating, which in turn will boil the brake fluid.

You don't want that, no sir.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    Or warp even if they don't suffer a catastrophic failure. Plus, the kind of people who mount 203s do some heavy, heavy braking that generates a lot of heat. The lack of material in these rotors suggests they won't be able to dissipate the heat quickly enough to keep the pistons from overheating, which in turn will boil the brake fluid.

You don't want that, no sir.
    Note: as stated, they don't make the Ai2 in 203, just 160 and 180 (soon a 140). Wayne still considers them a XC rotor, hence no 203. His new two-piece Flo-ToR is All Mountain, and will come in 160, 180, 203, and the other two-piece Ai-Neon is XC and comes in 160 and 180, while the AiRotor come in 140-203.

You are drawing some big conclusions on what these rotors will do and how they perform at that sizing?

I have used the AiRotor 203's (and others that were beta) under some massive braking and never had any issues. Wayne of Ashima tests his rotors to death, and he brings them up to glowing red conditions to see when they will fail. Obviously under any biking type conditions they aren't going to glow. He has some test riders that put all of his rotors under very torturous conditions and usage before ever releasing anything to the public. Under real world conditions they are excellent rotors, and won't overheat and boil brake fluid.

When you compare the Magura Storm (normal fuller surface rotor) and Storm SL (Ashmia like with lots of cut outs), the Storm has more braking power and will fade less when pushed to their maximum extremes.

I can't wait to try out his new two-piece Flo-ToR when they come out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    pastajet,

When will the 140mm rotor be out?

Chris.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by krzysiekmz View Post
    pastajet,

When will the 140mm rotor be out?

Chris.
    Chris,

Should be early next year, but they might just shift to only releasing the AiNeon two-piece in 140.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks,

well I hope they do release the AiRotor in 140mm. Seems preety easy to scale it down from 160mm. I need one to match the front.

These are great rotors and make all aluminium rotors preety pointless since the weight is so close and the performance much better.

Chris.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by krzysiekmz View Post
    Thanks,

well I hope they do release the AiRotor in 140mm. Seems preety easy to scale it down from 160mm. I need one to match the front.

These are great rotors and make all aluminium rotors preety pointless since the weight is so close and the performance much better.

Chris.
    Official statement - Ai2 in 140mm will be available in the end of 2012 (but I'd go by my first of year prediction)

AiRotor - they are already available in 140, 160, 180, 185, and 203

I am doing some testing of the two-piece AiNeon currently in 160mm size, which weigh in at 72 grams. They should have the 180mm AiNeon out in Jan?

Hack Racer
    Any chance the AiNeon will be available in 140mm size?

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers! View Post
    Any chance the AiNeon will be available in 140mm size?
    Ashima said that they would, but honestly, the market for 140mm is shrinking since most frames and forks are at a minimum PM 160mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post
    They're too thin to be paired with the new Magura MT8 brakes.

i use them on my MT8's and they work fine. Little more lever pull than other rotors but I like that.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsteven View Post
    i use them on my MT8's and they work fine. Little more lever pull than other rotors but I like that.
    I have also used them on my MT8/MT6 and I did need to stick in new pads in and adjust the pistons out slightly, but they have worked fine?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    This happened in my last 2 kms... Fortunatelly I finished... with the disk in my hand

New Ashima Ai2 Rotors-uploadfromtaptalk1354140067046.jpg

viva la v-brakes!
    How?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    How?
    Braking... after a long downhill I was hearing it very noisy, stopped and it brokened like butter

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Been using them for several months without any issue, and I ride lots of long downhills. Wayne of Ashima gets those suckers glowing red hot on a special machine to get them to fail, but that shouldn't happen in any sort of normal situation.

Were the rotor bolts loose or did it just go catastrophic mode?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The bolts were loosen

Huckin' trails
    Was it front or rear ? And what about the other rotor too ?

Funny though since I don't see much metal burn discoloration on it, which would usually indicate a major over-heating. Unless your rotor was a Chinese knock-off (like many Avid ones), which uses lower quality steel and treatment, as well as poor QC and specs.

Still funny shape. Glad you made it alive and to the finish
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    I had my rear rotor (a XX rotor ) break off and wreck my rear hub mounting tabs. This was totally my fault for not using locktite on the rotor bolts because they backed out and allowed the rotor to move. I now use the new Ashima rotors without probs.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It is the rear disk... happilly

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Does anyone know how these perform with Shimano BL-M595/BR-M595?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Three years later and there are still no reviews of the AI2. I'm trying to decide between them and the 20-gram-heavier AiRotor. Anyone tried both? Is the AiRotor less likely to warp than the AI2? To me this is more important than the difference in weight...

Cannondale Maros Team
    Quote Originally Posted by boren View Post
    Three years later and there are still no reviews of the AI2. I'm trying to decide between them and the 20-gram-heavier AiRotor. Anyone tried both? Is the AiRotor less likely to warp than the AI2? To me this is more important than the difference in weight...
    I am using them for cross country, including racing.
    So far I didn't had any trouble. They perform as well as the Airotor no matter the condition. I must say that I am 68-70kg and I am using the 160mm version front and rear.
    When the 140mm will be out I am planning to switch on a 140mm in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by boren View Post
    I've tried both and feel like the AI2 is almost as good as the original AiRotor. It does seem to shudder a little bit more do to the large gaps in material, but works fine for general stopping. I find the Ai2 to have slightly less stopping power than the AiRotor. The AiRotor seems to have less stopping power and modulation than the stock Avid G3 rotors that I was using.

For general trail riding I like the Ashimas a lot, but if you're a fast, competitive racer I would say to stick with the stock rotors.

Cannondale Maros Team
    I tried AiRotor, Ai2, AiNeon and now the Flo-Tor rotors from Ashima and I didn't noticed the lack of power that you mentioned. I think it depends a lot on the conditions, weight of the rider, how much he brakes.

I prefer the Ashima for everyday riding but also for racing. The characteristics are the same in my case.

And another thing is that they don't wear out as fast as the stock rotors from Magura or Avid.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Anyone know a price for the Flo Tor rotors???

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast