Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ups and downs

New 500gm Race Face crankset

Wow, new Race Face single ring crankset at 500gms with a direct mount wide/narrow ring and BB.

Singletrack Magazine | Race Face break the 500g barrier with Canadian-made crankset
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Wicketed
    Likey.

Wanty.

Pricey?!
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

There's always next year.
    This is what I've been waiting for from RF forever--a crank with options. Love that there will be an option to run a double up front, as I don't have the legs to run a single.

And I'm hoping for a Turbine option for those of us without Next SL money

ups and downs
    I imagine the pricing will appear at Eurobike/Interbike.

mtbr member
    Interesting - Looks like another new spindle/chainset interface for raceface - I have not been a fan of any of their "add moar spacers for pre-load" nonsense. Perhaps this is has more promise.

Hoping you can use aftermarket BB for them as well due to the history of absolute crap BB they have in the past.

500g with bb is a superb weight though. I honestly will hold off on acquiring xx1 cranks til I get a bit more info on these. Would love to support another Canadian company if possible.

When did they move their stuff back to Canada? I thought they had packed up and moved overseas a few years back? I gotta stop living under a rock!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Hoping you can use aftermarket BB for them as well due to the history of absolute crap BB they have in the past.
    This crankset will play nice with 30mm BB's currently on the market. That said, we put a lot of time and energy into improving our BB's and are proud to say they have been among the best in the business for the past 4-5 seasons. If you had issues with your last Race Face BB then it has likely been a very long time since you last rode one.

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    When did they move their stuff back to Canada? I thought they had packed up and moved overseas a few years back? I gotta stop living under a rock!
    Rock indeed. Every carbon crank Race Face has ever made has been designed, tested and manufactured in British Columbia Canada.

Thanks for riding Race Face!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceFace-suit View Post
    This crankset will play nice with 30mm BB's currently on the market. That said, we put a lot of time and energy into improving our BB's and are proud to say they been among the best in the business for the past 4-5 seasons. If you had issues with your last Race Face BB then it has likely been a very long time since you last rode one.
    Yup, stopped using the raceface BB as I was having to replace the bearings every 3-4 months. "Problem" disappeared when I switched to a Shimano BB.

Rock indeed. Every carbon crank Race Face has ever made has been designed, tested and manufactured in British Columbia Canada.

Thanks for riding Race Face!
    Ahhh, so it is the machined stuff that is no longer in Canada. Got it.

I will say Race Face CS is awesome - I have had 2 pairs of cranks wear out at the spindle interface, and they supplied me with new parts both times. One of the main reasons I am going to wait and see what this new product looks like before I get my next set of cranks.

Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    This crankset will play nice with 30mm BB's currently on the market.
    But not so nicely with BB92 frames. The BB would need to have really small bearings in order to fit. Smaller bearings mean less durability.

You should offer a 24mm spindle option.

With the proper BB adapter, 24mm spindles are compatible with all frames without sacrificing durability. 30mm spindles aren't.

That's why SRAM offers both options: BB30 (30mm spindle) and GXP (24mm spindle).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post
    But not so nicely with BB92 frames.
    Our 30mm BB92 BB rolls on 19 3.175mm balls. Depending on the manufacturer a standard 6805 (used with 24mm spindles) uses 15 or 16 3.175mm balls.

More of the same sized balls = increased durability.

mtbr member
    I don't see how 3.175mm balls (including the inner and outer races and aluminum caps) would fit.

41mm hole - 30mm spindle - (2 x 3.175mm balls) = 4.65mm left (for the bearings inner and outer races and the caps)

It doesn't seem enough.

Unless you're doing it the same way as THM Carbones.

Name:  final shimano pressfit klein-633ea5db.jpg
Views: 2288
Size:  7.3 KB

They use bearings without outer races. It's not a good solution. The balls will damage the caps after a while.

Your Next SL cranks were always compatible with the Shimano HTII standard. Even if your BB's weren't the best, there were plenty of other options one could use. It seems unwise to completely abandon that standard. If people are forced to use your proprietary BB92 bottom bracket and it doesn't turn out to be very good (I doubt it will based on other manufacturer's experiences), it will affect the reputation of your new cranks as a whole. Again, I suggest you to offer both spindle options, like SRAM does.

mtbr member
    Why no 38 tooth single ring and why does it have to say RACEFACE the entire circumference of the ring? One logo is plenty.

mtbr member
    +1 on the 38T single ring. The 36T ring might be too small for some people on 26" or 27.5" bikes.

mtbr member
    Yup. I ride a 26" with a 38 ring and it's perfect for me.

ups and downs
    You can tell you're not in marketing. With only one logo it might not be visible in the race photos, with logos all the way around the odds are good that the entire name will be visible in any single camera shot. These are pretty subtle compared to the previous white or silver logos.

Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Why no 38 tooth single ring and why does it have to say RACEFACE the entire circumference of the ring? One logo is plenty.

mtbr member
    I know why Pros have logos slapped on everything they ride and wear but Joes (speaking for myself) hate it. Enough with the logos.

ups and downs
    That's what black Sharpies are for They used to make the Pro and Team rings and the only difference was the maxed out logos on the Team rings, but now they just make one version.

Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    I know why Pros have logos slapped on everything they ride and wear but Joes (speaking for myself) hate it. Enough with the logos.

mtbr member

MarkyMark
    (Sigh) I wish I had known these were coming out! I bought and installed a set of XTRs for my new Blur LTc a few weeks back.

My LTa might need lightening up, though. I was looking at buying one of the narrow-wide chainrings and going 1x in the front.

I already have the old NextSL on my HT and SixC cranks on my MojoSL.

There's always next year.
    Drool... Want with 38/24, please!

mtbr member
    Great article!

I have a question. Can you give me a couple of reasons why I should pay more for the race face crankset compared to the XX1 crankset by sram? Obviously 1 reason is the 150g weight savings. But what else? What Differentiates this new crankset?

Thanks!
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7

ups and downs
    $1/gm is a pretty good cost for weight saving: $150 = -150gms = good bargain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Great article!

But what else? What Differentiates this new crankset?

Thanks!
    Bikerumor does a good job of walking through the advantages here:

Next Gen Race Face Next SL Crankset Unveiled, 495 Grams All In ? Plus Pedals & Wheels!

mtbr member
    I knew it.

New 500gm Race Face crankset-2014-race-face-30mm-bsa-bottom-bracket-solution01.jpg

=

Name:  824373-new-500gm-race-face-crankset-final-shimano-pressfit-klein-633ea5db.jpg
Views: 1661
Size:  7.3 KB

As I mentioned before, it's not a good solution. The balls will damage the caps after a while.

I have Next SL cranks on 3 of my bikes, but I won't get these new ones unless you offer a 24mm spindle version and larger single rings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post
    As I mentioned before, it's not a good solution. The balls will damage the caps after a while.

I have Next SL cranks on 3 of my bikes, but I won't get these new ones unless you offer a 24mm spindle version and larger single rings.
    sfer1 - Thanks for riding Race Face!

Please note we will continue to offer standard bolt on rings up to 40T for use with a 104 spider for trails where a 36T just wont cut it.

Also I am unclear what caps you expect to wear out on our BB92 setup. The outer races are steel just like any other bearing. We have a ton of field hours on these and believe that combined with our unique inner sleeve it is an excellent solution.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    sfer1 - Thanks for riding Race Face!

Please note we will continue to offer standard bolt on rings up to 40T for use with a 104 spider for trails where a 36T just wont cut it.

Also I am unclear what caps you expect to wear out on our BB92 setup. The outer races are steel just like any other bearing. We have a ton of field hours on these and believe that combined with our unique inner sleeve it is an excellent solution.
    When will the SL cranks be available?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast