mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Need to put my Dawg Dee-Lux on a diet...

I got an 04 Dawg Dee-Lux, great bike, but looking to trim some weight on it. For someone on a modest budget, what is the best "bang for the buck" type upgrades? Wheels? Tires? Tubes? Just ordered a WTB Laser V team seat, I know it's not the lightest, but need a little comfort in that area.

I weight around 195, I normally don't abuse bikes, but any components need to handle 3-4' drops.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by zeusrock1
    I got an 04 Dawg Dee-Lux, great bike, but looking to trim some weight on it. For someone on a modest budget, what is the best "bang for the buck" type upgrades? Wheels? Tires? Tubes? Just ordered a WTB Laser V team seat, I know it's not the lightest, but need a little comfort in that area.

I weight around 195, I normally don't abuse bikes, but any components need to handle 3-4' drops.

Any suggestions?
    Lighter tires/tubes offer, initially, a great "bang for the buck" in general (i.e., xc use) , but dunno if that's worth it to you in terms of durability (needing to handle 3' - 4' drops...could be, I dunno - I try to keep my skinny tires fairly close to the ground, for the most part...) Light tires/tubes are a quick, easy, and relatively inexpensive way to lose a fair amount of weight......after that, it gets trickier - cost goes up more and more and weight loss is less and less (getting to the dreaded "gram counting" stage of the addiction hehhehheh... )

mtbr member

Tires and wheels

You might want to weigh your tires and compare to another tire's specs... maybe the Dawg comes with wire (not Kevlar), or even OEM version, of the tire... sometimes you can trim a pound or more by switching to high-quality, lighter (but trail-ready, 2.1) Kevlar-beaded tires. Lightweight tubes (such as the UltraLight from Maxxis) can shed some more grams w/o sacrificing trail-worthiness (unless you run them at low pressure and you weigh a lot).

Wheels are a good candidate too, but to get decent, lightweight wheels you will need to shed some $$$. If you want to spend $350, go to oddsandendos.com and look for the WTB LaserDisc Lite hubs with Mavix XC717 rims.. you can get a trail-worthy, 1550g wheel set for $350 or so that way. I am guessing the Deore-based wheels on the Dawg are in the 2000g/pair range.

mtbr member
    I agree the wheels and tires are the best place to consider upgrading but I would go about it a little differently.

Now this being a weight weenie forum, I don't mean to stir the pot too much but a 200 lb guy on a Kona Dawg Dee-Lux dropping 3' - 4' doesn't need an ultra-light wheel-set. I speak from experience because I had a Heckler with Mavic X717 lightweight XC rims and they didn't last past one season. And I'm only 150 lbs dropping 3' in rocky all-conditions terrain.

Rotating mass is almost always the best place to save weight but I think it's even more important to consider pedaling efficiency. I now have the Mavic XM819 UST rims and they're pretty tough at 475 g, which is only 80 g heavier than the 717. No wobbles, no flat spots despite some hard hits. My 717s are bent up and folded inwards. Even though my 819 wheel became marginally heavier, the biggest improvement in efficiency was with tubeless tires. Rolling resistance dropped way down with good tubeless tires. Traction also improves. I have a really hard time on long steep climbs with my burly Kenda Kinetics 2.5" rear tire with a tube but I can sail right on by my buddies with my rear Weirwolf 2.1" UST tubeless tire. My Heckler weighs 38 lbs. Their bikes are probably 30 - 32 lbs. I'm sure life would be even easier with a 10 lb lighter bike but it's been my experience that rolling resistance is the biggest parasitic loss.

Too much $hit breaks when you go light. I learned my lesson the hard way and beefed my bike up. It's like a Darwinian experiment except you fund your research with your own wallet. Wheels, cranks, rear shock, racing saddle . . . all perished due to natural selection pressures.