mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Need Help - Seven IMX 29er New Build

I recently ordered a 29er IMX from Seven Cycles. I've been in the process of determining how to build it out for cross country riding...money is no object (but has to be high quality and look good). This is what I have thus far. Any suggestions?

Pedals: XTR (Won't budge on these because of Ritchey/CrankBrothers quality problems)
    Crank/Bottom Bracket: XTR FC-M970 180mm 44-32-22t (I'm 6'5" / 190lbs.)
    Cassette: XTR CS-M970 11-34t
    Chain: XTR CN-770
    Rear Derailleur: XTR M971-SGS
    Front Derailleur: XTR FD-M970
    Disk Brakes: XTR M975P IS Front 160mm (front and rear).
    Shift Levers: XTR SL-M970
    Wheels: Mavic C29ssMax Disc
    Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet 1 1/8" headsets (black)
    Seat Post: Thompson Masterpiece seatposts 31.6mm / 350mm (black)
    Seat: Selle Italia SLK Gel Flow (black) (thought about carbon but too narrow)
    Stem: Easton EA90 Aluminum Stem 31.8mm / 120mm (black)
    Bar: Easton Monkeylite XC composite bar 31.8mm / 685mm width / High 40mm
    Fork: 2009 Fox racing shox F29 29er Fork 80mm
    Tires: Stan's NoTubes The Crow Tubeless Tires 29 X 2.0

Think I got it all. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

10/03/08
    Received my frame yesterday. It looks really good (tried to upload an image but image size is too large 12MB and for some reason I can't get it to go lower than 1MB, which MTBR won't upload)

I've decided to go with Stan's ZTR355s (researching hubs now). I'm still sticking to the aluminum seat post only because I already have the carbon built into the frame for dampening purposes, don't need more dampening by installing a carbon post, although I have given it much thought.

As for the XTR drivetrain, my reason for going with Shimano is that I travel to various countries and have found that Shimano is more serviceable than SRAM.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

10/05/08
    Have managed to downsize photos so that I can upload for your viewing enjoyment.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Krystian; 10-05-2008 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Adding Photos

ups and downs
    You might also consider an FSA OS-99 CSI stem. Very light and lots of torsional strength, and a Race Face Next XC 3/4 riser bar.

mtbr member
    Maybe lighter/better wheels? Something custom built?
    I like Ritchey's WCS grips... worth a look.

mtbr member
    Since you posted in the weight weenie section I will have to recommend that you go with a nice set of Stans wheels. When built up they are much stiffer than any Mavic wheel. They are also lighter, and hold air better than the Mavic's due to Stan's Bead Socket Technology (BST). The techonolgy has shorter vertical sidewalls and a different bead hook to trap air better with any tire. Its a good upgrade that can cost about the same as the Mavic's depending on the hub.

Light = Olympic 29er (I think they are new for '09. I saw a pic, no weight published yet)
    Light and tougher than the Olympic = 355 (~410g)
    Lighter and tough = Arch (470g)
    Bombproof w/ weight penalty = Flow (525g)

www.notubes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I was thinking about Stan's as well, but didn't know how proven they have been. I'll look into the Olympic 29ers. Thanks for the tip.

The FSA OS-99 CSI stem and Race Face Next XC 3/4 riser bar don't seem as strong as the Easton EA90 stem and Monkeylite XC bar. Been using Easton for a decade now and they have never let me down. The weights also are very comparable. I'll take a closer look and read more.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystian
    I was thinking about Stan's as well, but didn't know how proven they have been. I'll look into the Olympic 29ers. Thanks for the tip.
    Unproven?

Umm... have you been to any races lately? I guarantee you will see more people on them than Crossmax 29ers.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystian
    The FSA OS-99 CSI stem and Race Face Next XC 3/4 riser bar don't seem as strong as the Easton EA90 stem and Monkeylite XC bar. Been using Easton for a decade now and they have never let me down. The weights also are very comparable. I'll take a closer look and read more.
    Stand in front of a bike with an Easton stem and a 26" wide bar and watch how much wind up you can get with someone torquing hard on the bar. It's an eye opener.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    get the 09 reba, lighter and works better. just swapped out my fox from my superfly
    and it is definitely a better fork. it is lighter and doesn't bob like the foxes do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody
    get the 09 reba, lighter and works better. just swapped out my fox from my superfly
    and it is definitely a better fork. it is lighter and doesn't bob like the foxes do.
    What is the difference between the SID line and the Reba line of forks? Rock Shox has so many different forks its just crazy.

ups and downs
    SID is a completely different set of innards and leg castings, aimed at shorter travel XC race use, the Reba is their general purpose XC fork. Doubtful that there will ever be a 29er SID.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoadventures
    Unproven?

Umm... have you been to any races lately? I guarantee you will see more people on them than Crossmax 29ers.
    Agree, even though mine arnt 29ers, i race the sh*t out of my Olympic's. They are light as hell too, 1390g.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey there your build is actually very similar to the build I have on my Niner Air9, which was also built as a pure XC racer with weightweenie-ism (but full functionality) in mind.

Some thoughts:

-I think my SRAM/Shimano set up is about the same weight as the pure XTR set up, however having owned XTR 970 stuff I think the SRAM feels like refined unfortunately, but way more practical in the sense that the shifting is still perfect even once the cables get dirty (SRAM X.0 triggers, x.0 derailler, XTR front derailler)

-You can find lighter disc brakes. I ended up going with Juicy Ultimates; I am pretty sure that they worked out to be lighter than XTR, and they are pretty bling. The 140mm rear rotor is also another weight savings, if you can do with less power

-I own 2 thomson masterpieces on other bikes, but I ended up going with an Easton seatpost - the EC90 Zero. It is lighter and seems to give some shock absorption.

-I definitely recommend the Stan's wheels. The Crossmax is just too heavy in comparison. I have the Stans ztr355 laced to Hope Pro 2's. If you can afford it, go with Stans ztr355 built on an Industry Nine wheelset (although much more $$$$ hence I didn't go that route). These wheels have been rock solid though I must reiterate

-lighter stem/handlebar options are available, esp. if you are willing to stick with 25.4mm bars, but sounds like you are willing to take a weight penalty for the stiffness

-i have a chris king headset too, but there are lighter options for sure - one that i thought of going for instead was the new crank bros ones.

Sounds like either way you will have a sweet and light bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    just keep in mind 6'5" 190lbs when recommending a 140mm rotor, if you are riding any serious decents, you may want to even consider a 185 in the front to give you a bit more power. The larger rotor can dissipate heat a little more quickly and gives more leverage on the caliper. Otherwise the build looks pretty fantastic, if you do go with the stans build, I'd stay away from DT revs at your weight, something double butted and still reasonably light might be the best solution.

mtbr member
    you know what, for picking my absolute dream frame that keeps me up at night lusting after for years now, youve managed to not pick a single part i would, thats funny. when i do get my seven imx,and i will, it will be built as followed.(pretending when i get it no new parts will have come out,haha)

Pedals: crank brother 4ti
    Crank/Bottom Bracket:Truvative Noir 34t(one ring only)
    Cassette: sram 990 11-32
    Chain: sram
    Rear Derailleur: X-0
    Front Derailleur: none,man up.
    Disk Brakes: avid juicy ultimate mag sl(oem,but ill get em somehow)
    Shift Lever: X-0
    Wheels: I9 ultralight/stans 355
    Headset: crank brothers
    Seat Post: seven
    Seat: specialized phenom
    Stem: FSA 0S-99
    Bar: salsa 11d carbon
    Fork: squish,RS REBA MAXLE. solid,White Brothers
    Tires: Specialized fast trak 29x2.0

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You're right that I'll have to go with a larger rotor in the front. Unfortunately, I'm still looking for the right hubs after a couple of the posters here pointed me to the ZTR 355 rims, which I've decided to go with. Hubs are the only problem left. I9s are very nice but seem to have problems based on what I've read. I didn't think I'd have such a hard time picking the right hubs, of all things.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hello Krystian, could you tell us about your experiences with the 29er IMX from Seven Cycles? I'm about to enter a 29'er ....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Good luck. The dude hasn't posted on here in 4 years...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

IMX Response

Very good bike; great rides. I'm 6'5" so the 29er is a great fit for me. Rides extremely fast but with it's bigger size (frame and wheels) it's not as agile as my 26 mountain bike when making tight turns/etc. in cramped situations. Overall this bike with the build is a speed demon. The IMX looks great but I think the Sola is a bit more versatile for every day riding and capabilities (loading up for touring, overnight travel). If you want speed this is the frame for you. If you're looking for something else then there are other worthwhile options. Hope this helps.

I haven't posted anything for years because I built my dream bike so there wasn't much more to write unless someone has a question.

mtbr member
    Krystian: Please post some pictures please and any notable experiences you had with your set up. I'm curious about your build, maybe some others might be as well. Thanks.

mtbr member
    If you are buying a $4000 frame, you should get Enve XC rims on your hub of choice.

That'll be the biggest leap in actual performance, relative to anything else you can do.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.