mtbr member
    May 2012

Need help picking light rigid fork from list of "budget" ideas

Pretty much all I need to complete my sudo-budget WW build is a fork and cassette, the former of which I'm struggling with what to buy. I've looked at most of the rigid fork manufacturers that offer light options (i.e. not steel), and could use your feedback to make a decision. I've listed out the options I've found below with some positives and negatives. In general, I think I need a 44.5cm fork (100mm corrected), so let me know if I've missed any. I've only spent around $600 on all of the other components, so I'm not interested in buying a $400 fork.

Exotic (Carbon Cycles) Aluminum - $107, ~900g, could be "harsh"
    Exotic (Carbon Cycles) Carbon - $180, ~760g
    Exotic (Carbon Cycles) UD Carbon - $180, ~780g
    White Brothers Rock Solid - $275, ~740g
    Trigon MC01 - ~$180-$220, less than 600g, carbon steerer

I'm concerned about three things. One, I'm about 215lbs right now, but have been losing weight and will continue to do so as I drop below 200. My pick needs to be strong enough for me. Two, catastrophic failure is not an option, as I'll be using this bike to also tow my two kids around in the Burley in addition to light trail riding. Three, it can't break the bank but I know that runs counter to my first two concerns (light, strong, cheap, pick two, etc).

Honestly I'm leaning toward the Exotic aluminum fork. I did score a good deal on a new Syncros AM carbon bar, so I'm wondering if it would help tame some of the harshness of the aluminum fork, or if it would it make the bar more likely to fail. I've considered the White Bros fork as the "safest" carbon fork, but the price is scaring me and I'm not sure justified as most of the reports on the Exotic Carbon forks are positive.

Thoughts? What would you get considering my needs?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My WaltWorks steel fork is about 2.25 lbs. At 215 you are a Clydesdale! Consider the On-One and Niner forks too...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    My WaltWorks steel fork is about 2.25 lbs. At 215 you are a Clydesdale! Consider the On-One and Niner forks too...
    I'm a Clyde now but hopefully within 2 months will be well below 200lbs. The On One fork seems to fall in between the Exotic and White Bros in terms of price, and is a little heavier. I really like the Niner forks, but as stated I think they are just too expensive for my build.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Anybody else with any feedback? Would you recommend I post this in any other threads? I'd like to order something ASAP so any other help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The most important things to consider are axel-to-crown length and fork offset, everything else should be secondary. Weight, and price should be secondary!

mtbr member
    I have both the Exotic UD and 3k carbon rigid forks. The 3k is lighter (although 80mm whereas the US is 100mm) and looks better IMO.

UD:

3k:

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringboy View Post
    I have both the Exotic UD and 3k carbon rigid forks. The 3k is lighter (although 80mm whereas the US is 100mm) and looks better IMO.

UD:

3k:
    Do you by chance have a closer picture of the carbon legs on the UD version? My Syncros bar is UD, and I'm wondering if the forks look similar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingshelmut View Post
    I'll be using this bike to also tow my two kids around in the Burley in addition to light trail riding.
    Get a steel Salsa ($100) and forget about it.

mtbr member

Re: Need help picking light rigid fork from list of "budget" ideas

Do you by chance have a closer picture of the carbon legs on the UD version? My Syncros bar is UD, and I'm wondering if the forks look similar.
    I don't but I'll have a go when I get home from work in a bit

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks. I had never seen anything that was "UD" before, so when I got my carbon bar the look of it kind of surprised me (no weave, visible "layers"). I'm curious if the UD Exotic fork looks the same.

mtbr member

Thanks. I had never seen anything that was "UD" before, so when I got my carbon bar the look of it kind of surprised me (no weave, visible "layers"). I'm curious if the UD Exotic fork looks the same.
    Here you go:

It's hard to capture the true effect in a photo. They look best in sunlight when they become a grey almost holographic look. Very cool. Sometimes just look black in low light.

These are the 3k as a comparison:

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The UD looks similar to my handlebars in that it doesn't have the weave, but it's definitely hard to see the pattern.

Now I wonder why the UD version weighs more than the other version?

mtbr member

The UD looks similar to my handlebars in that it doesn't have the weave, but it's definitely hard to see the pattern.

Now I wonder why the UD version weighs more than the other version?
    Probably just because it's the 100mm whereas the 3k is 80mm.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringboy View Post
    Probably just because it's the 100mm whereas the 3k is 80mm.

Sorry, I actually misread the fork selector page on the Carbon Cycles website when comparing both at 100mm. I was looking at the post mount version of the 44.5cm UD version vs the ISO version of the 44.5 non-UD version.

mtbr member

Sorry, I actually misread the fork selector page on the Carbon Cycles website when comparing both at 100mm. I was looking at the post mount version of the 44.5cm UD version vs the ISO version of the 44.5 non-UD version.
    My UD are post mount. My 3k are IS.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Depending whether you need disc or vee brakes, my Surly was only about 1000 grams (2.2 pounds) after cutting. Price is $65 or so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I am a bit in the same right now, need a light 26" rigid as the Rockshox Iīm carrying now is 2,3 kilo on a 12.8 kilo bike....

I have found these two but have no idea of the quality or specs, so I canīt say whether they are worth the money, but cheeper they are and seems to look good...:

Bjarke

Supernova - 26 High Strength EN Standard Full Carbon MTB Rigid Fork - USD $ 188.88

S-Bullet fork - Google Search

mtbr member
    May 2012
    FYI I ended up going in a different direction, as in a cheaper option. I got a cheap Mosso aluminum fork off of eBay for my build. It's about 750g for less than $70. We will see how we'll it holds up.

Here is a link to a thread with Picts of my completed build.
    WW 1x10 build finally complete, sub 21lbs for less than $900